Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • tubeless chaps – how many take a tube just incase?
  • Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I carry two spare tubes and glue, patches and tyre boot.

When, on the rare occassion, I’ve managed to slash or pinch a tubeless tyre and had to revert to a tube, I’ve invariably managed to pinchflat the tubes at least twice during the remainder of the ride. GOD I LOATH TUBES! 🙁

stumpy01

rickmeister – Member
    Stumpy, tell me you have the small O ring on the outside of the tubeless valve, under the lock ring…

erm, Yes.

Where Yes, means No….

The removable valves didn’t come with o-rings…keep meaning to get some proper valves with removable cores and doing the wheels again.

Where’s a good place to get removable core valves from? For DT Swiss X420SL rims if it makes any difference…?

Klunk
    Free Member

as above, 2 spare tubes and a repair kit, needed many times. Worst was a front & back double tubeless puncture on penmachno from a shard of slate, had to cut the tyre boot in in half to fix it so tubes would work.

aracer
    Free Member

the repair strips that plug holes from the outside are great for trail side repairs.

Surely those will only fix the sort of punctures sealant ought to do? Can’t be any good for the sort of tyre tears which are the only times I’ve ever had to use a tube in the last 10 years.

MarkN
    Free Member

The trail side repair kits are for when the hole is too large for the sealant. Works a treat, used it to sort a cycle shop staff member out on the trail running tubeless that would not seal. Scarily they had not seen one before.

aracer
    Free Member

Fairly small range of hole sizes though, surely? The only times I’ve needed a tube have been big gashes from sharp rocks.

ononeorange

Yes – usually 2.

As nickf above, Chilterns flints wreak havoc. Have had to use one on several occasions.

Klunk
    Free Member

I’ve found superglue is quicker/cleaner/easier than the “cord” based repair kits to use for those smaller holes that wont seal.

Stu_N

the repair strips that plug holes from the outside are great for trail side repairs.

Surely those will only fix the sort of punctures sealant ought to do? Can’t be any good for the sort of tyre tears which are the only times I’ve ever had to use a tube in the last 10 years.

These things? http://www.evanscycles.com/products/genuine-innovations/tubeless-tyre-repair-kit-ec028981

They plug bigger holes than sealant alone, and if your sealant is a bit old they do the job as well. Also had a bit of luck on small pinches with them that sealant doesn’t seem to do much for.

The worst thing about tubeless is that if you do get a puncture that wont seal, it takes ages to check for and remove all the thorns and shit in the tyre before you can put a tube in…

FOG

have always carried one for the 5 years I have been tubeless but have only used one a few weeks ago which is still in because I haven’t got round to replacing the rim strip I knackered getting it off.
    The tyre split almost immediately stranding me miles from any where and I had to buy a new tyre I didn’t like because it was all the shop had.

ianwilly
    Free Member

If i ride locally i dont tend to bother but for longer rides or races/ enduros i will carry 1 with a small tube of super glue. Never needed the tube but the superglue has come in very handy. Got a 1 cm slice in the body of tbe tyre from a piece of slate sealent had no chance. Dab of glue in the crack, wait a few mins and pump back up without taking the tyre off. Quicker than putting a tube in, andfar more relaxing. Did the last 20 miles no bother and patched the tyre when i got home.

That was last winter, tyre still fine and not leaking. Bonty mud-x if you were intrested.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘tubeless chaps – how many take a tube just incase?’ is closed to new replies.