Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Tubeless advice? – squealing noise
  • timhildreth
    Free Member

Ok decided to go tubeless on my 29er, got some with ZTR stan flow rims, with the yellow tape and values fitted, got some continental race king non tubeless tyres (but did the test when they hold air without sealant for about 10 mins.

So set the wheels up with stan sealant – they hold air – went on a ride on them – but they seam to handle funny (feels like the tyre may come off cause of a squealing noise) around corners

anyone experienced this?

Advice / help appreciated

HermanShake
    Free Member

Hmmm, did you waggle the wheels around after inflating and leave them to rest on their sides a bit? I’ve heard that you may need to roughen the spoke bed before applying the yellow tape. Then again the rubber rimstrips are recommended instead of the yellow tape for non UST tyres as they give a nice rubbery seal.

It may be worth putting the wheels in water and squeezing the tyre to see if you can make it leak.

Then again they may just be in the early still sealing up period?

bikeneil
    Free Member

Just get some tubeless tyres and do it right 😀

timhildreth
    Free Member

Yeah let it stand, but only for a about 2 mins each side and did a lot of waggling. – it held air now for about 3 days – but will try the water test.

I did the seal the same day as the ride – about 4-5 hours after – could that be it?

rickon
    Free Member

Did you hear them ping onto the rims? Are they actually sealed onto the bead. My concern would be them not on the rim bead, and just sealed in the rim channel,

Nonsense about the rim tape and rubber tape, yellow tape is perfect for non tubeless, using the rubber strips defeats the whole point of the bst rim on Stans, the tape doesn’t seal the tyre, the rim bead does. The tape seals the spoke holes, and enables the tyre to slip onto the rim.

Deflate the tyre, is it stuck to the rim, or in the channel? It should be stuck to the rim. Can’t imagine anything else tyre related causing that squeak.

timhildreth
    Free Member

I did hear the pinging noise then pumping the tyre up – also heard it once when I was out on the ride.

What do you by the channel?

iain1775
    Free Member

I’ve heard that you may need to roughen the spoke bed before applying the yellow tape. Then again the rubber rimstrips are recommended instead of the yellow tape for non UST tyres as they give a nice rubbery seal.

Think you heard wrong twice
    I’ve ran non tubeless tyres (maxxis) on stans rims before with bog standard black insulation tape instead of yellow tape, worked fine, tape has nothing to do with tyre seal, the stans rim bead design does this

rickon
    Free Member

By channel, I mean the groove in the rim you can see with the tyre off. If it pinged when riding then it wasn’t properly sealed. It needs to ping on both sides really, some tyres its just slips on, but the vast majority ping into place.

I’d let all the air out, drops of washing up liquid on the tyre bead and try again until its seals properly.

robarnold
    Free Member

When you deflate the tyre it should stay stuck to the bead rather than ‘panging’ off and breaking the seal all the way round. You should need to force the tyre off the rim with your thumbs to remove it rather than it flapping about towards the centre of the rim

HermanShake
    Free Member

I was speculating about the yellow tape not taking to the rim properly, hence keying. If there are any voids at the tape then air will escape, regardless of the bead seal. Electrical tape may work but the rim strip/yellow tape and the choice between the two is defined by Notubes as relative to the rubber used.

FWIW I use duct tape 😉

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless advice? – squealing noise’ is closed to new replies.