Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Tsk tsk….. And you wonder why people don't use their LBS
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve just had a customer in to collect his repair bike, a Trek 7100 hybrid. It only needed a basic service and a wheel true. £50 worth, it was in pretty good nick really.
    However, a certain well known Bristol bike shop told him it needed £170 spending on it, including all new cables and wheels. What were they trying to do? Phhhhhhhh.

el_creedo
    Free Member

I always use my fave LBS in Exeter (Saddles and Paddles) and it’s reasonable, nice to be at and is run by good people.

BUT one day they couldn’t fit me in for an urgent brake bleed – so took my bike to the shop nearest me who could do the job there and then. They have a reputation for being rip-off merchants among the circles I ride in, so figured I’d pay over the odds – but probably no more than 50% over what I’d expect it to be (£15ish)…

£35!!! to bleed a brand new Shimano brake that I’d shortened the hose on. I could have punched the guy. I could’ve bought the whole kit to do it for that, and had change!

Rest assured, I shall NEVER use PARTRIDGE CYCLES OF KENNFORD ever again. I’d rather miss a ride and then have it fixed by decent people at a later date.

DT78
    Free Member

I was charged £15 for having a dirty bike (despite giving it a quick once over before I took it in).

Maybe I would have swallowed it, if for that £15 they had actually cleaned the bike. Nope, basically a fine.

That was the last time I’ve used them.

binners

My LBS is ace. Fitted my headset and BB for nowt, if I could watch the shop for 10 minutes while he nipped out to get some shopping in.

No… I didn’t nick owt! 😀

IA

I could’ve bought the whole kit to do it for that, and had change!

So how much change did you get when you bought the kit and how long did it take you to do the bleed? 😉

elliott-20
    Free Member

My LBS fitted my headset for for nothing. That said, whilst I was in store chatting to the other chap while the mechanic was fitting said headset, I ended up spending about £100 or on other ‘stuff’.

IT”S A RUSE I TELL YOU, A DIRTY RUSE!

tenfoot

I had a problem with a QR, a couple of months ago, which Quench Cycles at Bedgebury, fixed FOC. I felt guilty, so I bought a pair of gloves from them.

A bit of goodwill does go a long way.

captain-slow
    Free Member

The best bike shop in my area has a reputation for shall we say charging premium prices and so I haven’t used it much over the past few years.

Recently needed help on two separate occasions and they were brilliant.

Obviously I bought a couple of bits that I could have got cheaper on t’internet to reciprocate, but they now have first dibs on my custom.

But really guys, don’t you ask how much something will cost before agreeing to get it done? And DT78, I can’t believe you paid up!

KINGTUT
    Free Member

However, a certain well known Bristol bike shop told him it needed £170 spending on it, including all new cables and wheels. What were they trying to do? Phhhhhhhh.

F*** B**** ?

atlaz
    Free Member

I used to go to Freeborn in Esher until they closed down despite being 5 mins walk from East St Cycles in Walton. The quality of service was the difference.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Recently had a good experience with my LBS. 3hrs of blood sweat and tears to get my bike up and running following a poor repair by another shop, no charge! Then the other shop came good by offering to purchase and fit the part they had the issue with FOC so kudos to both.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Hargroves cycles in Fareham were the ones that got me up and riding for the bank holiday weekend

amedias
    Free Member

el_creedo – I have every sympathy for you re: Partridge 🙁

If you’re ever stuck again and Heather/The guys at S&P can’t fit you in then try Rob Hardy (Hardy Cycles) on Fore Street, he is really good, really nice and will generally do the little emergency jobs same day if you really need it, he also charges very reasonably too.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Freeborn went with Esher Shore/X ?

binners

IT”S A RUSE I TELL YOU, A DIRTY RUSE!

True dat. The fifty quids worth of random stuff (I didn’t actually need) that I bought, probably covered his time

winston
    Free Member
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The LB(ike)S model seems to be “biggest shiniest showroom and highest prices we can get away with”.

The LB(oat)Shop is run out of a portacabin equidistant from the slipway, boatpark and the bar. Stocks everything you could need in a hurry at the same prices as the mail order places and offers credit till next week if you’ve only got a £20 note and need to make it cover the new parts to race that afternoon and to get pissed in the bar afterwards.

devash
    Free Member

Bike Scene in Guisborough – fantastic guys, and well-priced.

TiRed

I’ve just had a customer in to collect his repair bike,

And no doubt he’ll come back.

We get free labour and cables at work from Evans, and they lend me their tools if needed 😀

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Bike Scene in Guisborough – fantastic guys, and well-priced.

3 inner tubes for £11, unless they’re 29er, then they’re £7 each “as there’s more rubber in them”.

Almost asked for Conti Supersonic’s on that basis, but went for a ride instead.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

And no doubt he’ll come back.

because Peter’s work is shoddy ?

🙂

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Tsk tsk….. And you wonder why people don't use their LBS’ is closed to new replies.