Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • TRP Hy/Rd Vs Juin tech r1 Vs Any other options
  • webbierwrex
    Free Member

I have a cable equipped cyclocross bike that I want to improve the brakes on. I can’t afford to replace the shifters with a full hydro set up so one of the above two seems like the best options I have found so far. However, I can’t seem to find any direct comparison between the two. Any recommendations? Any alternatives?

I seem to be able to find the R1s slightly cheaper (£150 vs £180 for the TRPs).

Alternatively I could go for the cheaper TRP Spyre for about £100…I just don’t want to get for the cheaper option now to be regretting soon after.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I can’t speak about TRP but I had the “Acor” version of the brakes and they worked fine, lots better than Spyre:
    http://www.schmooscycles.org.uk/acor-semi-hydraulic-disc-brakes-last-pair-4909-p.asp

I seem to recall some people had sticky pistons or something though.

spicypedro
    Free Member

Avoid the Juintech R1s.

I had some on my CX bike and they failed pretty quickly (front and back) when the piston seals blew. Fortunately this had the effect of locking the brake on rather than having no brakes at all. They warranty replaced them pretty quickly but I never put them back on. I’ve had enough problems with brakes in the past that I know not to trust ones that have already failed on me.

A friend bought some a short while later for his disk road bike. Exactly the same thing happened to him, although this time we were 60 miles into a 150mile road ride. He turned for home but had to remove his front brake to be able to ride at all. His back brake failed about 30 miles later, making the last part of his already miserable ride a bit more grim.

I’ve gone back to Avid BB7s, which aren’t great but do the job (although I’m tempted to try the Spyres). He’s gone full Shimano hydraulic DI2, because he’s flash.

brassneck

I have HY/RD, had Spyres – the HY/RD are noticeably better, but with compressionless outers both are pretty good. I’d probably stick with Spyres for simplicity as when setup well they are good enough, but there will always be that thought you’re missing out somehow 😀

brassneck

Oh, bin the shipped pads, mine were garbage. Went with cheapy online organics (Uberbike I think) and when bedded in they worked as treat.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

What are your current brakes out of interest?

Might be worth sticking with them until you can afford some hydraulic STI’s, they really a lot better than messing around with cable/hydraulic setups.

Superficial
    Free Member

I have the HYRDs and I’m perfectly happy with them after a year of general use. Tried the Spyres – noticeably worse lever feel but power similar. I’m not sure either of them would be a significant upgrade to other cable discs though. As above, I’d just continue saving for hydros I think.

webbierwrex
    Free Member

Currently on the BB7s. They have decent stopping power for me so far, although i haven’t ridden in any properly filthy conditions yet. Its just that they are in constant need of tweaking and fettling and it’s so annoying having everything other ride accompanied by a scrapping noise.

That link to the Acors is pretty appealing…£100 seems much more affordable than the ~£400 to replace the brakes and shifters to a full hydro set.

Thanks for all the advice so far.

wzzzz
    Free Member

I have just put on the Acor verison of the Juin tech, only been round the block.

The horror stories are making me nervous…..I got them from here:

http://sheffield-cycles.co.uk/components/brakes-and-levers/disc-brake/acor-hydraulic-cable-disc-brake-set/

cp

Very good price that, they are great brakes, mine have been excellent.

stevious

I went from BB7s to Hy/Rd on my winter bike. Not much in it performance-wise but I find the Hy/rds about 8000000 times easier to keep feeling good.

In retrospect I think I should have saved up for full hydro though.

cchris2lou

I have 2 sets of Juin Tech .

Had the rear caliper replaced under warranty.

When you notice the piston not coming back into position, slack in brake lever and constant braking, clean the caliper and with an ear bud I put Shimano mineral oil around the pistons. Seems to work for me.

But as soon as I can afford it, I am going full hydraulic ( I have DI2)

Nipper99
    Free Member

I had HYDRs and always wondered if I was going to get to the end of a ride without them giving up as they proved so unreliable.

kcr
    Free Member

I can’t comment on the Juins, but I’ve been using Hy-Rds for about 2 years now, I think. I was a long term BB7 user before that. The Hy-Rds don’t need the regular adjustment the BB7s required to stop disc tinkling, and seem to have stood up to winter conditions better, which was the other problem I experienced with BB7s.

I think TRP have updated the design since the original model.I had a problem with one piston that wouldn’t retract fully, despite cleaning and bleeding. When I contacted TRP to ask for advice about how to fix the problem, they sent me a new set of brakes (front and back) although mine were out of warranty.

I found that there was far too much empty lever travel when I set mine up originally. I found an internet tip to fit the cable clamp on the underside of the actuator and clamp the cable on the inside of the bolt instead of the outside, and that made a huge improvement to the feel of the brakes.

antigee

as KCR said^^^

plus this

stevious – Member
    I went from BB7s to Hy/Rd on my winter bike. Not much in it performance-wise but I find the Hy/rds about 8000000 times easier to keep feeling good.

In retrospect I think I should have saved up for full hydro though.

Hydro prices are dropping Hy/rds work but value for money reduces every day

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘TRP Hy/Rd Vs Juin tech r1 Vs Any other options’ is closed to new replies.