Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 101 total)
  • Trivia please. Useful, useless or strange.
  • toys19
    Free Member

umm the border between canada and usa is not a linear line.
    windsor/detroit

Three_Fish
    Free Member

you’d have to pass through central America no?

tang
    Free Member

The panama canal was under US jurisdiction…until 1999. That canada one is coming out when i need to bore the kids next on a long journey.

midlifecrashes

Uranus is the only planet that rotates on its side.

Kit
    Free Member

Uranus is the only planet that rotates on its side.

Uranus is not a planet 😉

EDIT: oh wait, am I thinking of Pluto?

EDIT 2: yes I was, d’oh! 😀

plumber
    Free Member

Did you know

A chameleon’s tongue is twice the length of its body.

A woodpecker can peck twenty times a second.

A cow gives nearly 200,000 glasses of milk in her lifetime.

Dolphins sleep with one eye open!

A crocodile cannot stick its tongue out.

A cat’s jaw cannot move sideways.

An ostrich’s eye is bigger than its brain.

All polar bears are left handed.

Ants don’t sleep.

Dragonflies can fly at up to 30 mph.

Flamingos are not naturally pink. They get their color from their food.

Bats always turn left when exiting a cave.

The muzzle of a lion is like a fingerprint. No two lions have the same pattern of whiskers.

tang
    Free Member

Bats always turn left when exiting a cave.

That is a keeper.

organic355
    Free Member

The dot over the letter ‘i’ is called a tittle. 😯

McHamish
    Free Member

The muzzle of a lion is like a fingerprint. No two lions have the same pattern of whiskers.

That only because you can only check one lion before you get your head bitten off.

jon1973
    Free Member

umm the border between canada and usa is not a linear line.

I got it now 😳

warton
    Free Member

All polar bears are left handed.

Polar Bears don’t have hands

Shibboleth
    Free Member

organic355 – Member

The dot over the letter ‘i’ is called a tittle.

And the cross on a ‘t’ is called a jot.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Flamingos are not naturally pink. They get their color from their food.

why is their food pink?

scaredypants

why is their food pink?

Raspberries generally are

z1ppy

Hedgehog’s can happily live without their flea’s, opposed to the “well-known” urban myth that they can’t. Hedgehog flea’s tend to be a specific hedgehog type but not always, and you use a bird lice/flea treatment on hedgehog’s not a cat/dog one.

They can also travel up to 2miles a night in search of food.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Paperclips will be trombones from now on at my desk

I have a rusty paperclip on my desk 😯

LapSteel
    Free Member

Wow these facts are Amaaaaazin

LapSteel
    Free Member

Hyperpolysyllabicomania is a fondness for big words.

trailmonkey

When people tell you that we fought the First Wortld War to protect democracy, remind them that we were the only major power that entered the conflict without universal male suffrage.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Weebles wobble, but they don’t fall down

Cougar

Glenmorangie boasts that it is handcrafted by “The Sixteen Men of Tain.” This is actually a lie. Why?

I’ll give you the answer to this, as no-one cares. (-:

Glenmorangie is currently hand-crafted by the fifteen men and one woman of Tain, but that doesn’t scan so well.

molgrips
    Free Member

A woodpecker can peck twenty times a second.

Not all woodpeckers do the high speed drilling thing. Indeed, I believe that in the UK you can tell which pecker it is by the sound of its drilling. But I can’t remember which way round it is.

When people tell you that we fought the First Wortld War to protect democracy

Tell them they are clueless – surely? WWI had nothing to do with democracy, did it?

The barnacle goose is so named because its feet look like barnacles

I thought it was because people assumed they hatched from barnacles? They do have striking similarities.

Milkie
    Free Member

Longest word in the dictionary is Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis, which is a lung disease you can get from standing too close to an erupting Volcano.

If you spin two certain metals in opposite directions you can create anti-gravity, I can’t remember the metals and it took a guy his whole lifetime to find the right ones.

The dry valley in Antarctica is the driest place on earth. The Attacama Desert is 2nd.

racefaceec90

this woodpecker is hard as nails 😀 [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ju7Ng-gIqc[/video]

corroded
    Free Member

The female Tasmanian Devil has 30-40 young at a time but has only four teats… Tough start to life.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

It isn’t possible to make a jelly that is self-supporting more then 18 inches tall.

You’re more likely to be kicked to death by a donkey then die in an aircrash.

The average length of the male, er, member is 4 inches. Sex on average lasts 4 minutes. Intercourse is, on average, done at a rate of 30 strokes per minute. So an average shag covers 40 feet. So you’d, on average, need to do it 132 times to cover a mile.

Junkyard
    Free Member

the term trivia comes from the the latin trivium [crossroads] or the three roads in to rome depending on etimology where people used to exchange gossip.
    It also formed the trivia of medieval education of grammar, rhetoric and logic.
    Quadrivium was geometry, music , arithmetic and astronomy and was more advanced that triva or the basics

snowslave

If you put nutella and marmalade in a butty it tastes a bit like a jaffa cake

bloodynora
    Free Member

Completely useless but think it counts. The chef/caretaker in The Shining was also the voice of Hong Kong Phuey. I was worse for wear when I got told this so wasn’t sure if I dreamt it or not and never bothered to look it up. The things you discuss in the pub!

snowslave

Bob Greaves went bonkers, and whilst in a mental home he tried to flush some puppies down the toilet. RIP Bob Greaves.

Bregante

snowslave – Member
    If you put nutella and marmalade in a butty it tastes a bit like a jaffa cake
    POSTED 15 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

moreso if you swap the bread for a sponge finger

Cougar

Completely useless but think it counts. The chef/caretaker in The Shining was also the voice of Hong Kong Phuey. I was worse for wear when I got told this so wasn’t sure if I dreamt it or not and never bothered to look it up. The things you discuss in the pub!

I think this is what you’d call a near miss.

The unfortunately named Scatman Crothers voiced Hong Kong Phooey and played Dick Hallorann in The Shining. Dick Hallorann, however, wasn’t the Indian Chief bloke, he was the bald-headed black guy who shows them around at the beginning.

Hong Kong Phooey, yesterday.

Cougar

Bob Greaves went bonkers, and whilst in a mental home he tried to flush some puppies down the toilet.

I fear this may be a fib.

Admiralable
    Free Member

The unfortunately named Scatman Crothers voiced Hong Kong Phooey and played Dick Hallorann in The Shining. Dick Hallorann, however, wasn’t the Indian Chief bloke, he was the bald-headed black guy who shows them around at the beginning.

He also played the voice of Jazz in the cartoon of transfomers!

maxsatnav
    Free Member

water is most dense at 4 deg C

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Hot water freezes in less time than cold water. It’s called the Mpemba effect

captain_bastard
    Free Member

many of the play ground rhymes we knew as kids (70’s / 80’s) were written by an advertising copy writer.

he wondered how things would spread by word of mouth, (pre-interweb the playground was the social network) so he’d send his kids into school with a rhyme he wrote,

one of his that i remember was “my uncle billy had a 10 foot willy….”

bloodynora
    Free Member

Cheers cougar. In my defence I was three sheets to the wind at the time 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Three_Fish – Member

Edinburgh is further west than Carlisle.

Itz also further west than Bristol

thejesmonddingo

Tartiflette,nom,nom,nom.
    Ian

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 101 total)

The topic ‘Trivia please. Useful, useless or strange.’ is closed to new replies.