Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Tried fitting chain guide today & failed – help please!!
  • SeanOrange
    Free Member

I’ve got a dual & bash setup on an Orange P7. To add a bit of chainage security I bought a ISCG05 roller from Superstar. The problem I had was getting the bolts into the ISCG tabs. Initially I thought it was the big dollop of threadlock that was on bolts so peeled that off with a pin (an hour of my life I’ll never get back!).
    When I tried fitting again I got a few turns then rounded the bolt out 🙁 I’m guessing the treads are full of paint so what would be the best way of sorting them? Get the LBS to sort it or is there nice little tool I can use?

Cheers,
    Sean

joeh2o
    Free Member

If you have a tap and die set you could always *carefully* re-tap the holes. You just want to clear the paint out so if it’s not moving smoothly and easily you’re cutting into metal and wrecking the thread.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

P7 uses ISCG-old; does it not?

SeanOrange
    Free Member

No its a 2010 frame & uses the ISCG05.
    Think I’ll put it into LBS to sort out 🙄

FieldMarshall

Had the same issue with a new BFe frame and a Blackspire stinger the other day.

I ended up getting an identical bolt to the size that came with stinger and used that to “clean” the threads.

I worked on the principle that the bolt was soft aluminium and the frame steel so it was unlikely to damage the thread in the frame.

The amount of torque required seemed quite high due to the amount of paint and I did slightly strip the bolt, but all seesm ok with the tabs threads and the bolt was just an old one anyway.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

No its a 2010 frame & uses the ISCG05.

I stand corrected.

If you run a tap through from the other side (of the lower two mounts) it will cut through the messed-up thread (and any excess paint) and should allow the fitting of a bolt. If you have enough good thread on the top mount to feed a tap in, then you should be able to tidy that up too.

I’d make sure to ask the shop exactly how they intend (and indeed manage) to fix the problem. I’ve seen some fairly dubious fettling done in those back rooms and I wouldn’t put it past a shop to just drive the bolts home and hope they never need to come out.

SeanOrange
    Free Member

I think if I ask the shop to do it I’ll just give them one of the bolts and ask them to clean up the threads so it goes in ok. Then I’ll fit the guide myself.

Thanks for the replys guys.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Tried fitting chain guide today & failed – help please!!’ is closed to new replies.