Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Travel change on Pikes?
  • chestrockwell

Hello all. I’m thinking about taking the plunge on some 2015 Pike 160mm Dual Position. The worry I have is that 160mm might be a bit much so would it be possible to reduce the travel easily and cheaply in the future if required?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’ve got the 150mm dual positions. The forks are pretty stiff so I don’t notice any downside of the travel and I doubt an extra 10mm will make much difference so you’ll be fine i’m sure. I’m not convinced by the dual position thouhgh. I chose DP for the same reason you are considering them, but actually find I never use the functionality. The front end of the bike can get a bit light and vauge on very steep climbs, but i’ve just got used to that so don’t bother with dropping the travel. If I were doing it again i’d just get the Solo’s.

chestrockwell

Thanks for the reply and interesting to hear you don’t really bother with the travel adjust.

What I really need to know though, forgetting the travel adjust bit is can the main position (160mm) be changed by removing/adding spacers like my Fox can or would it be a pain? E.g go from 160mm with 130mm travel adj to 140mm with 110mm travel adj?

acidchunks

I’ve got the 160 dpa pikes as well, I’m sure you can’t add spacers to adjust travel.

I leave mine at 130 most of the time and only switch to 160 on the rougher/faster/steeper stuff.

chestrockwell

Cheers . 😀

100mphplus
    Free Member

You can change the travel on Pikes by changing the air shaft, lots of options available as 1 shaft does diff travel on 26/27.5/29 forks.

I’ve just bought a 150 shaft to change my 160 DP Pikes. They are like hens teeth in UK, but readily available in Germany;
    http://www.gabelprofi.de/Nach-Hersteller/RockShox/Air-Shaft-PIKE-Dual-Position-Air-160mm-travel-26-150mm-travel-27-5-can-be-used-to-change-travel-to-160mm-on-26-150mm-on-27-5-A1.html

Lots of info here; http://forums.mtbr.com/santa-cruz/reducing-pike-150-140-160-150-tech-thread-889096.html

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Travel change on Pikes?’ is closed to new replies.