Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • TransWales – anything similar this year or next?
  • michaelmcc
    Free Member

I really liked the TransWales and was gutted when I heard it was no more a few years ago. I was pleased that the Ritchy Trailmasters came along, but it seemed to have a few teething problems. Is there any more plans for anything similar? Surely there would be the demand for a multi day mtb event/race in Wales or somewhere else in the UK.

flatfish
    Free Member

Welsh Ride Thing?

michaelmcc
    Free Member

A whattie with the what now?

MSP

Unfortunately I think you will have to look abroad for a multi day fix now, but they do seem to be growing in popularity across the continent.

trans-portugal
    bike 4 peaks (austria)
    trans schwarzwald (Germany)
    trans provence
    andalucia bike race
    transpyr
    iron bike (italy)

And probably many others

MSP

oh there was going to be UK one this year, I think it was called xcaliber, seem to recall it is rather expensive, and got postponed.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

iron bike (italy)

I happen to have done that before (last year), and I still think never again. Totally bananas!

wonnyj
    Free Member

Sudety challenge – czech/polish border region

Transwales 2009 was awesome. The sunny year

MSP

I happen to have done that before (last year), and I still think never again. Totally bananas!

I am thinking about doing it next year.

ferrit
    Free Member

I’m sure there are plenty of things you can do that are similar or can recreate the TransWales experience of riding in a monsoon, wrecking your bike, staying on pure mud ‘campsites’, having cold showers every day, costing a fortune and then getting a campylobactor infection that lasts for a month as you sh** your brains out.

Can’t think of one offhand though…

Seriously though, it seems that events like this struggle to get numbers as the shorter Enduro-type events get more popular. Shame. As above, the dry year was good and TransScotland was ace. Yes, I did 2 Wales’ and the Scotland.

Clobber
    Free Member

Is Aidan doing EWE again?

gribble
    Free Member

Cycling with bears trying to have a bite out of your arse

The above looks like a lot of fun. Unfortunately I have lost a lot of fitness and become the overweight mountain biker I never wanted to be.

One for 2015 me thinks…

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Plus one for multi day events in the sun abroad. In the sun, it’s important to mention that twice

jodyincapetown
    Free Member

Unfortunately no TransWales but there are well over 100 awesome stage races to choose from. A many of them in South Africa. With an exchange rate of 1GBP:ZAR18, the South African options should be pretty cheep and a good option to combine with a holiday. Check out http://www.stageraces.com

dyls
    Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

Epic Cymru looks awesome, I’d have entered but I’m away so I’m relying on you lot to make its first year a success so it’s on again next year

ollie
    Free Member

I like the sound of the epic cymru but what sort of bike is suitable for this type of event, 100mm full sus ok?, I’m a bit worried when i read ‘timed downhill sections’ and ‘bike park wales’.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

I like the sound of the epic cymru but what sort of bike is suitable for this type of event, 100mm full sus ok?, I’m a bit worried when i read ‘timed downhill sections’ and ‘bike park wales’.

100mm full sus is fine.
    BPW sections are on red runs – which you can ride on a hardtail, but I would say much faster on a full suspension.

There are timed uphill and XC sections as well, not just the timed downhill.

oliverracing

love the look of epic cymru, but sadly my new job starts on the Monday of the race! Hopefully it’ll run in 2016 as I’ll definitely enter!!

richellicott
    Free Member

It’s not in Wales but I did the Rat Race Crossing last year. An English coast to coast through 3 national parks over 3 days. It is quite pricey but really well organised, good fun. Not very technical riding as its more about getting to the finish line but there were some good downhil sections

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘TransWales – anything similar this year or next?’ is closed to new replies.