Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Trails around Loch Lomond
  • sailingneil
    Free Member

I have recently got into mountain biking and wondering if people have any recommendations of trials around Loch Lomond and the surrounding area? I am currently comfortably riding red routes at forestry commission trail centres, so trail around this difficult would be good to know about.

dh
    Free Member

Up ben lomond?

there is also this at artgarden, not a million miles away

argarten

HTH

DH

13thfloormonk

The West Highland way up to Inversnaid is a good ride, getting progressively more technical as you go. After Inversnaid its a nightmare though, so ideally you would either double back or get the ferry across the loch.

Arrochar has a couple of good loops, a bit forest road heavy in places but still worth a ride. One goes around the Ardgarten Peninsula to Lochgoilhead, up to the waterfalls above town, then back round to Arrochar on the forest roads above the Rest and Be Thankful.

The other heads up to Coire Grogain via Succoth, and descends the singletrack beneath the pylons, which is pretty steep and rocky in places.

Both the Arrochar loops are in Kenny Wilson’s ‘Mountainbike Highlands’ book.

Good loop from Auchindrain nr Inveraray too, over the Leaccan Muir, however I think a lot of the good bits have been flattened by the forestry recently. Still worth doing once at least even if they have.

sailingneil
    Free Member

I live in Arrochar so I have done the trials at Ardgartan. Is Ben Lomond worth going up? I have heard that it involves lots of walking with your bike.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’d say (walked it, never ridden) that it’s eminently rideable up, but boring. Down would be fun though!

tandemwarriors

Come down our way towards Dunoon. Some nice trails at Glenbranter and lots of riding in the wider Dunoon area. Email in profile if you fancy a trip down here.

Rob

hainman
    Free Member

tandomwarriors im looking at heading to my uncles caravan at hunters quay and was thinking of trying glenbranter and anywhere else thats about,is there anyone at the caravan park who could point me in the right direction???cheers mate

Dr_Bakes

Apologies for the slight hijack but…..

dh, is that trail navigable by a bike and trailer (of the child carrying variety with suspension)? We are planning an Easter trip up to Skye and were thinking of hauling arse as far as Loch Lomond for our first break in the journey. I was thinking of walking up Ben Lomond but that route looks like it might be a nice alternative activity for us. The video of the singletrack makes it look reasonably wide and our trailer is of the narrower one seater variety.

Thanks in advance.

downshep

Dr B. Ardgarten loop is mostly forest road with a few miles of singletrack descent to Lochgoilhead. Would be 90% rideable with a trailer although the climb back up the rest from the Goil side would test legs quite a bit.

Neil. Have you done the Succoth loop round Glen Loin? It’s on your doorstep, shorter and more fun than the Ardgarten circuit. 3 of us riding this Friday morning, may go there if you want to try it out?

Dr_Bakes

Cheers downshep. I may well give that a go then as that sounds ideal. I’m not afraid to get off and push if needs be!

cbike
    Free Member

http://www.threelochsway.co.uk/ Could be an alternative. You would forever be slowing for walkers on the WHW.

Boat Bike Bus with Accomodation at http://www.balmillig.co.uk

sailingneil
    Free Member

Downshep I have done the Glen Loin loop, the best part of it is the single track bit on the way back down the glen. Unfortunately I am working on friday, but thanks for the offer. The ardgarten circuit is okay but a wee bit boring lots of forest tracks. the slog up from the goil is a leg killer.

Tandamwarriors thanks for the info not been down Dunoon way. What sort of riding is there?

grum
    Free Member

Ben Lomond is great but very techy. There’s a fair bit that’s rideable up but still quite a lot of pushing/carrying unless you’re superfit. Down is great but a lot would be more like black in trail centre terms. Will also be crawling with walkers atm.

Carron Valley might be worth a look too.

nick1962
    Free Member

If you can follow a map then you can plot a pretty decent route round the back of Ben Lomond with some fantastic views and a great descent down to the Loch.Start from Milton of Buchanan,(there may be a small FC car park at the end of Creity Hall rd)on the East side of Loch Lomond .Go along the WHW then go north at the car park in the Grabadhan forestto join the Rob Roy way(I think!) go north up through the Queen Elizabeth forest park along Gleann Dubh then Gleann Gaoithe then down to Cailness then back down the WHW back to Milton. Esay fire road and wide tracks to begin with then it gets narrower,steeper and harder then after the descent a nice leisurely trip back along the Loch with plenty of places for ice cream!About 40 km as a rough estimate

Steve_B

Carron Valley might be worth a look too

– eh? not from Arrochar – if you want a trail centre then Fire Tower at Lochgilphead is worth a shot – closer and a few fun bits. If you really want to drive as far as CV go to Aberfoyle or Stirling – lots at either location

Auchendrain is the best of the suggestions above – the final bit is not as good as it originally was but the outward route to L Awe is still superb. (Just need to watch you get the footpath off the ascent otherwise you will end up cycling on the forest drive)

We did Nick’s route around B Lomond as 2 seperate rides earlier in the year -first starting at Drymen – route as he described then hike a bike across Moin Eich to the Lomond tourist path and return WHW. The section thro the QE forest does require endurance of Sitka forest

Did the Gleann Gaoithe circuit starting from L Chon and going N to return along the road (40k for the whole circuit sounds a bit optimistic?)This is still track but at least it is mostly clear of the forest. NB The descent of the tourist path of B Lomond is well above a red trail standard tho so you might be walking some of the descent as well – some of our party were.

If you go through to Dalmally there is another classic circuit – tho rather a lot of road – go thro Glen Orchy and return across G Kinglass to Taynuilt (you can always get the train from there back to Dlamally to save the main road (tho you get free entry to Cruachan power station if you arrive by bike!) Also in KW’s book tho he does it a/clockwise

As for pulling a child trailer up the climb from Lochgoilhead on the Ardgarten circuit – no thanks 🙁

nick1962
    Free Member

Steve Bs right about my guestimate on the mileage of the route I suggested .Managed to find my maps for this one late last night and it is a fair bit longer than 40 km and definitely a long day. Did it when I was more into clocking up the miles mode a couple of years back but I still managed all the descent.Nearly cooked my brakes though!!

stuartm555
    Free Member

Did this circuit around Ben Lomond a few years ago and it was very boggy and trudge-tastic … might be good right now though as everything is pretty dry:

Route & Profile by Andrew Sealey, on Flickr

lambbhoona
    Free Member

Folks, Ive been thinking about doing Ben Lomond can anyone tell me how long it takes to push up and is it worth it for the ride down?

Cheers

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Trails around Loch Lomond’ is closed to new replies.