Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 118 total)
  • Trail Etiquette
  • miketually
    Free Member

Not read all the above but from previous threads on this topic it generally comes down to people who’ve been riding for a long time thinking uphill riders should have priority while newer riders think downhill rules.

dereknightrider
    Free Member

kudos100 – Member
    Is this really about trail etiquette, or are you using that as an excuse to stop and grab and eyeful when she goes past?

If it was a sweaty bloke, would you be having the same problem?

Well if it was a bloke head down pumping up that track, I’d do just the same, having said that, that time of morning another fella on a bike out early, I’d say hi and if he felt the need to engage, guess I’d stop for a chat ask him where he’s headed. Generally there aint many mtb’s around so we do tend to acknowledge each other, least I always do. Now approaching a Goddess is somewhat different nobody wants to be turned to stone.

The trail etiquette thing is genuine, I didn’t know and thought I’d ask, the Goddess content was just added padding, it is also genuine, other than a mates companion who just crucified me once on an uphill and Rou’s Mary (of Imbike fame) don’t think I’ve ever come across wimmen trail riders and certainly not lone riders, of slim statuesque proportion sort of Keira Knightley in her Arthurian role but with a more attractive (to me)face and slightly larger rack.

reedspeed
    Free Member

Or you could just stop and exchange flirts, get her number, then pop round & smash her !.

Just a thought !.. 😆

After all,it sounds like the dogs get on..

Andy-R

But (and maybe I’m missing something here – I don’t think so, though) you know she’s married, you’ve chatted to her husband and even asked him his wife’s name!

Now I am (according to my wife) an incorrigible flirt, by all accounts I’m good at it (flirting, I mean) but to me this is like meeting an attractive woman at the bar and then going and asking her husband, who’s sitting down, what his wife’s name is so that you can flirt with her even better.

And I’m always happy to give way if I’m going uphill – gives me a chance to stop for a breather yet still retain some semblance of dignity.

dereknightrider
    Free Member

Old Man’s fantasy Andy, there was a day when the ‘never miss a slice from a cut loaf’ expression held sway, but these days… And I’m also married and from where I now live Hawkeye could well spot any dalliance and her retribution would be swift and deadly… So the topic here is to give way or not to give way, not finding out where she lives to nip round and ‘smash’ her… And the chances of a grey bearded short arsed baldy git getting stuck across she who must be admired from a distance…. = zero.

kudos100
    Free Member

Now approaching a Goddess is somewhat different nobody wants to be turned to stone.

Not really that different. You are not approaching her in the street and asking her out, just two cyclists having a chat.

If you have been fantasizing about having a bit of trailside fun then I can see how it could be more difficult to say hello.

Next time you see her give her a cheery hello and try not to look at her tits. 😀

Oh and stop giving way both uphill and downhill, soon you will be putting your riding jacket down for her to avoid the puddles 😆

reedspeed
    Free Member

just a thought, but do you have a go-pro, that way we could have evidence of the route, and her !, to help determine, whose got the right of way !!!

dereknightrider
    Free Member

I’ve got a Contour helmet cam somewhere I did think of that after I posted the ‘weirdo taking pictures of me’ riposte.

So maybe I should helmet up, it’s been too bloody cold for a helmet lately, I’m beanie and hoodied, but it’s been getting a bit milder, it’s on my watersports helmet maybe I’ll dig it out see if I can remember how to work it.

Then again what’s the end game here? Not thinking of trying to get yourself turned to stone are you? 😉

It’s a sin coveting another mans wife. 😆

Andy-R

dereknightrider – Member
    Old Man’s fantasy Andy

Not as old as me, matey – and yes, when I’m out on the bike (or anytime really) I’ll go out of my way to chat up talk to an attractive woman.
    I’m sure they think “stupid old fart…”

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

Whilst the climbing rider does have the right or way, its absolutely situation dependent as to whether or not as the climbing rider you exercise your right to it.
    Same as yielding the right of way on a descent.. if the climbing rider is pushing, I’d like to think common sense would suggest they move aside regardless of their ‘right of way’.
    There is still hopefully a considerate speed check in there from the rider descending.

Social etiquette certainly expects that you at least offer a quick greeting and smile at said lovely lady without being a leering perv. 😉

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I don’t think there’s a hard & fast rule really – generally I think that ascender has ROW, however with a quick look it’s often easy to work out who it’s going to be easier to stop.

scotroutes

It’s not about “rules” it’s a question of etiquette. Uphill rider has priority, same as for motor vehicles.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I don’t buy the classic “uphill rider has right of way” crap. This is mountain biking, we don’t live for the climbs…we all know how mad fun the downhills can be, and I’ll always give way to someone barreling down a hill. Not only is it easier to stop from 4mph than it is from 20mph, it’s just polite to allow the descending rider to enjoy their hard-earned descent! So I hope I don’t meet some of you lycra clad xc weirdos riding up my downhill tracks. I’ll be padded and likely not come off as bad as you! 😉

dereknightrider
    Free Member

That is the law anyway isn’t it? Lycra must always give way to baggies, SPD’s stand aside for Flats, XC’s defer to Enduro and beyond in the downhill spectrum.

If it isn’t, then its time the law changed, more I think about it, the more it comes up downhill must have RoW just the stopping distance alone dictates the common sense of it.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Destroy them with our BOMBERS!

kudos100
    Free Member

That is the law anyway isn’t it? Lycra must always give way to baggies, SPD’s stand aside for Flats, XC’s defer to Enduro and beyond in the downhill spectrum.

If it isn’t, then its time the law changed, more I think about it, the more it comes up downhill must have RoW just the stopping distance alone dictates the common sense of it.

Pretty sure I read that in a MTB version of the ‘rules’

martinhutch

If I’m going uphill, I’ll be staring at my stem Froome-style and trying not to throw up, so I won’t even see the enduro gods coming the other way.

Seriously though, some of us do enjoy cleaning the climbs as much as going down the other side. Why not try to enjoy something that forms more than two-thirds of a hilly ride?

Northwind

martinhutch – Member

Seriously though, some of us do enjoy cleaning the climbs as much as going down the other side.

Even if you enjoy climbing, it’s less bother to stop when climbing than when descending- all you need to do is stop pedalling. And you’re moving slower so it’s far easier to spot places to pull in etc. And you’ve no momentum to lose whereas coming down you’re spending all that gravity you banked earlier. Not to mention that the whole passing thing will be over faster that way. It just seems like the considerate thing and the sensible thing to me.

scotroutes

Actually, it’s easier to see places to stop when descending and looking down on the terrain. Plus, as many have already mentioned, it’s much easier to get going again when descending than it is when climbing. So descenders stopping just seems like the considerate thing and the sensible thing to me.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Whats “get going” got to do with it? “Get stopping” is surely far more valid for mtbs.

Northwind

scotroutes – Member

Actually, it’s easier to see places to stop when descending and looking down on the terrain

If you’re going at the same speed, perhaps. But otherwise not.

Getting going isn’t all it takes, you need to get back up to speed and that takes a lot more time and effort when you’re going down than when you’re going up.

dereknightrider
    Free Member

So, she probably won’t know any of this and being a kindly old gentleman I shall just tell her when I’m coming down on her I have right of way, I’m sure she’ll understand and give way..

Bedds
    Free Member

I’d agree with the ROW to climbing, unless I’m climbing and need a rest, in which case I’ll give way 😉

jameso

The higher speed you have, the greater responsibility of care to other trail users. That includes riders climbing the same trail. Giving way to ascending traffic is a general way to go but for riding I don’t think either descender or climber should force the line if space is limited, if I’m descending I’ll be slowing right down so may as well let them through or take a wide line etc. If there’s enough time for the climber to see you and they pull aside, all good but we shouldn’t rely on it or assume any ‘rights’. You may not like climbing, the other rider may do and be trying to clean it. Old school wierdos and singlespeeders..

Northwind

jameso – Member

You may not like climbing, the other rider may do and be trying to clean it. Old school wierdos and singlespeeders..

OK so assume both parties are enjoying themselves equally (which on balance won’t be the case, but just for argument), and just take it out of the picture… It’s still easier and less disruptive and quicker for the person going up to yield.

I’d totally agree about not forcing lines, being extra careful when there’s not enough space and not assuming the other person will react how you expect, but those are different issues imo and affect both riders equally.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I N R A T S but IMO uphill rider has right of way, unless its a directional trail.

JoB
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    … It’s still easier and less disruptive and quicker for the person going up to yield.

that may be be the case, but it is harder for them to get going again, which you have left out of your picture

jam-bo

I might have right of way going uphill but I’ll always move over for someone coming down.

Northwind

JoB – Member

that may be be the case, but it is harder for them to get going again, which you have left out of your picture

No, I haven’t- it may be harder to “get going” but that’s not what the descending rider’s doing, he’s getting back up to his original speed which is often more effort and more timeconsuming than restarting when climbing, and sometimes not eve possible. Unless you stop somewhere you can’t restart but that’s generally easy to manage.

JoB
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    it may be harder to “get going” but that’s not what the descending rider’s doing, he’s getting back up to his original speed which is often more effort and more timeconsuming than restarting when climbing

really?

Superficial
    Free Member

I’m definitely in the “ROW to the climber” camp.

If it’s a technical climb then there’s no way I’m stopping and losing my flow just so some mediocre gravity hound gets a clean run. For a lot of climbs around here, if you stop you’ll be walking the rest of the way up. On the other hand if it’s a boring climb I’ll usually pull over and let them past. So I guess it depends a bit how technical a trail is.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

JoB – Member
    Northwind – Member
    it may be harder to “get going” but that’s not what the descending rider’s doing, he’s getting back up to his original speed which is often more effort and more timeconsuming than restarting when climbing

really?

Yes of course it is, do you ride offroad?

JoB
    Free Member

frequently

maybe my ‘up to speed’ isn’t as gnawesome as yours

nuke

Another also definitely in the definitely in the “ROW to the climber” camp.

It’s still easier and less disruptive and quicker for the person going up to yield.

Don’t agree with this. In my experience its far easier for the descender to yield and, when I’m descending and have to yield to a climber, the vast majority of the time its not stopping anyway, its just briefly popping off the favoured line and, depending on the situation, not necessarily scrubbing loads of speed. If I have to stop on a steep climb and then get started again it can be a proper pita.

Yes of course it is, do you ride offroad?

Do you ride uphill?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Prettiest rider has ROW. Try not to run over your tongue or her dog.

dereknightrider
    Free Member

cloudnine – Member
    Prettiest rider has ROW. Try not to run over your tongue or her dog.

😆

Pretty much the way it is, she wasn’t out today, my day seems somehow so much more empty not having yielded to her.. 😉

Northwind

nuke – Member

In my experience its far easier for the descender to yield

Because the climber has so much more momentum and speed?

nuke

Because the climber has so much more momentum and speed?

No because they haven’t, thats just it: the little the climber has got is hard fought.

smatkins1
    Free Member

It’s far easier for the person going up to pick a suitable point to more over to one side or stop than it is for the person coming down.

The person going up would only have to pull over or stop for a couple of seconds to let the descender past. Hardly an inconvenience.

For the descender to decelerate, pick a spot to stop, stop and wait for the slower climber to pass then accelerate back up to speed is going to take significantly longer.

If the climb stubbornly climbs up the middle the trail thinking he’s got ‘right of way’ sooner or later he’s going to cause a horrific accident. There needs to be some element of yielding from both parties.

The descender can’t really expect to not have to slow down at all, but to expect them to stop to let the climber past just sounds completely ludicrous.

fooman

Don’t forget to shout Strava! on your way down

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 118 total)

The topic ‘Trail Etiquette’ is closed to new replies.