Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 160 total)
  • Trail Centre Fender Bender. What would STW do?
  • crashasaurus
    Free Member

Video here.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other if you ask me.

ajantom

Why in jebus’s name are they wearing so much kit for (what looks like) a really tame trail? Full face, and goggles, and full armor? Jeez 😆

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

agree, with a sensible head on, half and half.

really dunno what caused her to slam her brakes on though…

druidh
    Free Member

A Blue route and all that body armour?

crashasaurus
    Free Member

ajantom

Why in jebus’s name are they wearing so much kit for (what looks like) a really tame trail? Full face, and goggles, and full armor? Jeez

And at least one of them had a conspicuously large camelbak.

NZCol

I think she might want to consider another sport, and perhaps speak to a professional about anger management and not just grabbing the fckn brakes like that. Jesus. Buy a road bike if you don’t want to fall off. Dude was more than fair, i think my reasonable facade would have crumbled pretty quickly with a WTFU.

Kato

Wee in her shoes

RealMan
    Free Member

Seems the rider with the camera made the fairly obvious mistake of assuming people don’t do stupid things. Although the person who hauled on the brakes for whatever reason should be much more aware of who is around them.

Over reaction too.

He was way too nice, she was way too mean.

+1

Ambrose

He’s in the wrong. He should be able to stop if she does, he should have left moreroom. End of story. Closest parallel I can think of is driving. The way I understand it when you have to apply the brakes, for whatever reason and however hard, if the person behind collides with you they are at fault.

william
    Free Member

I feel pretty sorry for that guy, how many people leave enough room so you can come to a complete stop if the person in front slams the brakes on. He was gracious enough about the whole thing, so fair play to him.

Northwind

I’d agree, half and half… Sure he should have been able to stop but would you ever stop in the middle of a trail like that? But even if you think it’s all his fault you’ve still got to say she’s a total arse, and he’s a really nice guy. I would have started out the way he did I reckon then told her to stick it up her arse, she even says “It’s mountain biking”. Yes it is, sometimes you fall off.

crashasaurus
    Free Member

Ambrose – Member

He’s in the wrong. He should be able to stop if she does, he should have left moreroom. End of story. Closest parallel I can think of is driving. The way I understand it when you have to apply the brakes, for whatever reason and however hard, if the person behind collides with you they are at fault.

Which gets me thinking…I am on the motorway, travelling at the speed limit. The guy in front (safe distance) is in a Porsche 911 Turbo with carbon ceramic brakes. I am in a 91 civic. If he hits the anchors hard enough…I reckon I am in the back of him, regardless.

Just a thought. Maybe the girl in front had Saint brakes and helmet cam man had juicy 3’s 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

100% the second rider / camera bikes fault. Ride into the back of someone its your fault. No if but or and.

Plenty of time to stop anyway – or swerve

RealMan
    Free Member

Bikes don’t have brake lights either.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

All you have to leave in terms of a gap is reaction time plus a tiny bit- see them slam on the brakes you slam on the brakes. They stop and you stop behind them

I think he had enough room to stop easily but didn’t hit the brakes quickly enough or hard enough

She may have been an ass but he was totally in the wrong – he hit her. She diod not reverse into him

paulosoxo
    Free Member

this is a wind up, right?

RealMan
    Free Member

Plenty of time to stop anyway – or swerve

wtf?

100% the second rider / camera bikes fault. Ride into the back of someone its your fault. No if but or and.

You even ridden on road with other people?

And riding off road with other people is hardly any different, except you have to concentrate on what you’re riding as well as the other persons speed, which slows your reaction time (IMO). If you suddenly slam on your brakes for no real reason, you are asking for trouble.

johnduke
    Free Member

yes, he should have left more room, but she was plain mental.

druidh
    Free Member

Or you can just leave a big enough gap….

Northwind

TandemJeremy – Member

“I think he had enough room to stop easily but didn’t hit the brakes quickly enough or hard enough”

Because he’d been taken so completely by surprise by the totally unpredictable action of the rider in front, obviously. You don’t just plan for the person in front to suddenly stop dead in the middle of the trail like that.

Crashasaurus “Which gets me thinking…I am on the motorway, travelling at the speed limit. The guy in front (safe distance) is in a Porsche 911 Turbo with carbon ceramic brakes. I am in a 91 civic. If he hits the anchors hard enough…I reckon I am in the back of him, regardless.”

Yup. And the police are going to be asking him why he slammed on the brakes, and most likely he’s going to end up on a charge of dangerous driving unless he had good reason.

crashasaurus
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

All you have to leave in terms of a gap is reaction time plus a tiny bit- see them slam on the brakes you slam on the brakes. They stop and you stop behind them

How does one see the fingers of the rider in front?

RealMan
    Free Member

Yes. TJ if you ride with anyone from here, you are just asking for them to slam on their brakes next time you’re behind them, then get you to pay for a new back wheel.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

wind up for sure! … no way was she hurt from that, no frickin way! how quick was she up to throw her bike at him FFS.
    he was too nice about it too … and IMO the woman is Always in the wrong … LMFAO ;O)

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

and Ladies IF yer gonna slam yer brakes on to pull up, then pull up to ONE SIDE of the trail! Lol … i know im in sooooo much trouble but i just done care ;O)

Northwind

“RealMan – Member

Yes. TJ if you ride with anyone from here, you are just asking for them to slam on their brakes next time you’re behind them, then get you to pay for a new back wheel. “

Oh I wish you hadn’t said that. I’m gonna get ya TJ :mrgreen:

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

crashasaurus – Member

Which gets me thinking…I am on the motorway, travelling at the speed limit. The guy in front (safe distance) is in a Porsche 911 Turbo with carbon ceramic brakes. I am in a 91 civic. If he hits the anchors hard enough…I reckon I am in the back of him, regardless.

Not if you leave a safe distance

Only a fool breaks the 2 second rule. 65 m at 70 mph.

RealMan
    Free Member

Oh I wish you hadn’t said that. I’m gonna get ya TJ

😀

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

If she’d known he was behind her she should have let him past but it looked like he got a bit too close. She totally over reacted and he was too nice. I think he should have apologised made sure she was ok then moved along. Could have said something like ‘Move aside lady. I have trails to ride’.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Crashasourus – as soon as they start to slow you ca see then slowing – so you start slowing at the same point they did if yo have the reaction time gap – about half a second/ I prefer a 2 second gap like with cars

Northwind – want to try it?

nonk
    Free Member

it says on the thread under that they had a bit of a cuddle back at the car park. 🙂

RealMan
    Free Member

TJ I can guarantee you I could make you ride into the back of me dozens of times in one ride if I wanted to. Unless you absolutely refuse to ride within 50m of anyone else.

T666DOM

Is it just me or do you now feel under dressed for a “blue” trail, think I might break out the armour to nip to the shops for some milk , just in case!!!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Rwealman – not a chance squire. riding with a normal gap like he had you could do anything you want an I would be 100% confident I would not hit you

Northwind

TandemJeremy – Member

“Northwind – want to try it?”

Yeah, why not. If you see me turn up for a ride with really big rotors and tyres you may want to be on your guard.

Everyone- £10 to the first person to make TJ ram them. £20 if you go mental afterwards and post the video on the internet

eth3er
    Free Member

Leave more room? That’s twaddle right there. How do you overtake? I always thought the unwritten rule was if you are faster than the person in front and you want to pass you wait till you are close enough then (god help me)shout rider on your left/right. If s/he slams on the brakes while you are sizing your move what are you meant to do? I’d chalk it down as a trail incident.
    The dude is a gracious gent, he didn’t have to take it.

crashasaurus
    Free Member

TandemJeremy
    Not if you leave a safe distance

Only a fool breaks the 2 second rule. 65 m at 70 mph.

I thought someone would say that. Now, the maths would make my head hurt, so hopefully some mathelitcal person will work this out but a quick google tells me that a 911 Turbo, (never mind say a veyron or a merc slr for the sake of avoiding internet ultra geek pedantry) can stop from 120 mph in the same distance as an “average” car can from 60mph.
    So surely as I said above, if a person in a car with sufficiently powerful brakes decides to brake check you (assuming you are not similarly equipped) I reckon you are in for a prang. Sorry for going OT.

Fool, rule, 2 seconds?

RealMan
    Free Member

not a chance squire. riding with a normal gap like he had you could do anything you want an I would be 100% confident I would not hit you

Sorry, its rubbish. And I fear you live too far away from me to prove it. So instead, I invite you to tell the guys you ride with next that you will give them £5 if they can make you ride in to the back of them.

Or let them know about Northwind..

Everyone- £10 to the first person to make TJ ram them. £20 if you go mental afterwards and post the video on the internet

😀

Do they have to throw their bike at him too?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

crashasaurus
    If my maths is correct

2 seconds at 70 mph is around 65m. According to they highway code at 70 mph braking distances is 75m, reaction distance around 20m – so 95 m total.

Now unless the porsche can stop from 70 mph in under 30 m with a 65 m gap you are safe (30+65=95)

In actual practice any modernish car can easily beat the highway code braking distance You civic will probably stop in under 60m – so the porsche would have to stop in 20 m for you to hit the back of it

Northwind – seriously = next time we are out have a play with this – you will be suprised how quickly you can stop if you want to

takisawa2

If someone launched a bike at me like that they would be wearing the **** thing a few seconds later.
    Probably some stupid **** yank team building corporate day out, judging by all the gear they had on.
    There was **** all wrong with her. Total overreaction.
    The second she decided to react like that I’d have ridden off, because nothing he could of did or said would make any difference.

Regardless whos at fault, if you cant take the knocks then find another sport.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Realman – bullshit – you obviously cannot use the brakes properly – 20 mph on a gravel trail you can stop in a few metres – 5 or so easily.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 160 total)

The topic ‘Trail Centre Fender Bender. What would STW do?’ is closed to new replies.