Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Tracey Smith / Aquaid Spam Malicious Attatchement circulating
  • Stoner
    Free Member

gmail spam filters seems to have intercepted it before hitting the inbox. I have 9 copies of it sitting in the spam folder and the attachment is quarantined by google.

brant
    Free Member

I opened the Word file on my PC but Protected Mode stopped me getting further.
    It’s quite a clever trojan as I thought I had got CC skimmed and someone had donated a small amount to check that.

Doh.

Stoner
    Free Member

email me your paypal password and I’ll check that’s not been compromised as well. 😉

You’re nearly as bad as my dad.

Clobber
    Free Member

Just checked my spam, turns out that

1. I’ve just won $1.5M from western union
    2. A nice lady called MarinaB from Russia wants to meet me
    3. Ms Florence Dele from Nigeria wants me to adopt her 2 kids
    4. World Bank Monetary Fund has a share of $8.5M for me
    5. etc.

Good job I checked! I would’ve hated myself if I’d missed out on these wonderful opportunities!

torsoinalake
    Free Member

I file all of these emails in a folder marked “Phishing – Unconfirmed – To Review”.

It’s a subfolder of “Unsolicited”, and then “Spam – To Categorise”. To be honest, I am not sure if I should combine it with the “Spam – For Action” folder, but then I have 6 years worth of email in each, so it’s a conundrum.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Who’s Tracey Smith?

Cougar

I went to school with her. I wondered what she was up to these days.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Who’s Tracey Smith?

The Branch Administrator at AquaAid Birmingham & Midlands Central

hels
    Free Member

torsoinalake – you know that isn’t a robust retention policy. What you really need to do is print them all off, scan them individually and store them in network folders.

Then after five years have them copied to microfiche.

It’s the only way to be sure.

Cougar

Some tech info here for the curious.

http://myonlinesecurity.co.uk/tracey-smith-aquaid-card-receipt-word-doc-malware/

This particular ‘virus’ behaviour is typical of many, many others, of course. If you receive any unsolicited email with an attachment, treat it with suspicion and only open it if you’re sure you know what it is and that it’s safe.

Social engineering tricks to fool you into opening them are commonplace, and some are quite sophisticated and professional-looking.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

hels,

🙄

Don’t you know anything about technology. I just take a photo of it with my phone, and upload it to the cloud. From there, I email it back to my mail account so I have a second copy in case the cloud goes down. It’s in the folder called “Backup – Backup – Cloud – Do not delete!”

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Tracey Smith / Aquaid Spam Malicious Attatchement circulating’ is closed to new replies.