Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Tracey Emin on Newsnight
  • gobuchul
    Free Member

FFS. 🙄

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I didn’t see it but you seem shocked and appalled, I suggest a strongly worded letter to the BBC.

kayak23

Charles Saatchi, who owns her ‘unmade bed’ is selling it. She was on commenting about what she thought about that and how different she is nowadays from then.
    What’s your point caller?…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

how different she is nowadays from then

She makes her bed now ?

BillMC

No she now has some flunky who makes and bed and tidies around it.

globalti
    Free Member

She was on R4 talking about it as well… she came out with some rather personal revelations, which I don’t think listeners wanted to hear.

She has to re-install the whole thing every time there’s a show. All the components are in plastic bags and have to be laid out according to the plan, even the fluff on the floor.

Ghastly harpy of a woman altogether.

marcus7
    Free Member

Not really my taste in art but on r4 she came across as open and honest, if talking about contraception methods offended you then I think you need to get out more. I expect her to be a bit”artsy” after all she is an artist ( you probably disagree) and although she’s not my taste in art I think she at least keeps true to her self.

iolo
    Free Member

I watched a documentary about her once. She’s actually a bloody good artist who has produced some shit mainly commisioned by nice guy Saatchi. This shit was in the media because Saatchi is an attention whore with a look at me attitude.

Speeder

I think it qualifies as “art” if someone will buy it. . . . . . .

Klunk
    Free Member

it’s art because she’s Tracey Emin [b]RA[/b].

bikebouy
    Free Member

I like her attitude, can’t stand her art.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Is this art?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Woppit, I don’t know art but I know I like marmite.

And with that, I end my contribution to this thread.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Is this art?

Well the urinal is on its side which initially confused me. This challenged both what I see as normal accepted conventions and my own perceptions. I found the whole experience ‘thought provoking’. So yes, it’s definitely art. Where can I see it exhibited ?

atlaz
    Free Member

Well the urinal is on its side which initially confused me.

It’s on its back, hence the confusion.

mudshark
    Free Member

Sometimes ‘art’ is just for taking the piss.

nealglover
    Free Member

Well the urinal is on its side which initially confused me.

That’s because it’s on it’s back 😉

(Doh, 25 seconds too late)

jam-bo

Where can I see it exhibited ?

tate modern i seem to recall.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Why would you watch Tracey Emin unless you wanted to be shocked, that’s her calling card as it where. Not unusual in modern Art, you have to do something to get noticed.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

It’s on its back

It’s this rigid interpretation of accepted norms, conventions, and protocols, which lacks the ability to understand “art”.

And why those who fail to understand art cannot see beyond the mere “object”.

Casting a rather more artistic eye I perceived the urinal to be resting on its side rather than its back. In art “truth” is a personal experience.

gobuchul
    Free Member

I didn’t see it but you seem shocked and appalled, I suggest a strongly worded letter to the BBC.

Not at all.

Charles Saatchi, who owns her ‘unmade bed’ is selling it

produced some shit mainly commisioned by nice guy Saatchi.

Strange that. Pays £150k for that ridiculous bed and is looking to sell it it for around £1 million.

iolo
    Free Member

Or is the urinal orientated in the correct manor and it’s merely the perspective of the viewer that produces art. Ie are you on your belly in some kind of sling against the wall looking down.

jon1973
    Free Member

Either way, it’s going to leak if I take a piss in it.

colournoise

Is the urinal art because it’s laid on its back/side and so challenges you to look at its form rather than function?

Or is it art just because someone signed a lump of pottery you piss into and put it in a gallery (where art goes).

Reckon Duchamp would have been happy with either.

nealglover
    Free Member

Casting a rather more artistic eye I perceived the urinal to be resting on its side rather than its back.

Yeah, that’s great…. but it’s still on it’s back.

Speeder

The story behind that urinal (just looked it up) is pretty interesting and just goes to show what a crazy world of emperor’s new clothes the whole art movement is.

Torygraph article here

meehaja
    Free Member

To be fair, some of her drawings and paintings are rather beautiful, but you don’t see them often. Much like lichenstein’s painting that don’t involve dots or pollock not throwing paint around. Artists are often known (musicians to if you think about it) for one or two pieces of work that define them, wether they like it or not. If you need to keep your name in the public eye to sell art and fill galleries then you need to talk about what people know in order to show them what you like. People expect Emin to be a bit of a ****, and that is the persona she has to present, otherwise people will not talk about her, not book her for TV shows/ magazine articles/ galleries, the value of her art plummets and the aspiration to own “controversial art” disappears. Emins unmade bed is art, because it was made by an artist and bought by an art collector, My unmade bed is a mess! Consider the up coming auction for the drums played on definitely maybe (link) a nice drum kit, but not £15k worth. people like the association, the expression of wealth and the inclusiveness of “getting it”.

In short, Emin was booked for Newsnight and radio 4 because she’s guaranteed to be a bit odd and offend. She has managed this, you are talking about her, I now know that Emin is an odd and offensive artist, I buy a book about her work and pay to go to her gallery because liking challenging art makes me look sophisticated and cool to art school girls. In the book/ gallery I find some of her other work that is quite good, but not weird/ offensive etc. Emin shares her work, I share my money. Everybody wins

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Dogs playing cards, now THATS art.

mudshark
    Free Member

Art is in the mind of the creator whilst beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

gobuchul – Member

“I didn’t see it but you seem shocked and appalled, I suggest a strongly worded letter to the BBC”

Not at all.

Do you often comment with “FFS”, and nothing else, when something neither shocks nor appalls you ?

How do you comment when you are shocked and appalled ?

Garry_Lager

As an aside – does anyone know if you can watch old newsnight programs on iplayer? A guy I know was on about 2 weeks back and I missed it, but it seems to be a rolling 1 week back catalog then they disappear?

dannyh
    Free Member

She’s an absolute mess of a person, physically and mentally. A bit too many of the old ‘Persian Rugs’ if you know what I mean……

She got very lucky with one particularly notorious piece of ‘modern art’ (or ‘shit’ as I like to call it), and can now trot out any old rubbish in the sure and certain knowledge that someone will find it ‘profound’. At least when they find out that Tracey Emin was the ‘artist’.

It’s just intellectual snobbery masquerading as cutting edge work, and it only matters whether you are ‘in’ or not whether the work is appreciated.

footflaps

I’m shocked and appalled that anyone cares what TE thinks, let alone wasting tax payers money having the BBC interview her. I suggest we hold a parliamentary inquiry into the matter.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Tracy earlier, being a “mess”.

ell_tell
    Free Member

Personally I like the woman that recreates famous art works, but featuring a huge ginger cat

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27507950

footflaps

Personally I like the woman that recreates famous art works, but featuring a huge ginger cat

Genius!

PJM1974
    Free Member

Art is whatever you want it to be. Sure, there are “performance” artists who think that knocking one out while locked in the boot of a car is a statement worth making, but plenty of their peers disagree.

She got very lucky with one particularly notorious piece of ‘modern art’ (or ‘shit’ as I like to call it), and can now trot out any old rubbish in the sure and certain knowledge that someone will find it ‘profound’. At least when they find out that Tracey Emin was the ‘artist’.

Tracy Emin is a Royal Academician because she’s produced more than one piece of well received art and her peers think that she’s worthy of passing on her knowledge and experience to a younger generation of artists. She’s also an accomplished poet amongst other things. A lot of the comments on here are personal in nature, I rather expected a more mature debate than this.

Indeed, lay people might question why some of us on here are happy to spend thousands of £££s on expensive bikes when one from Halfords could do the job for less than two hundred notes… 😉

PJM1974
    Free Member

I rather like this too.

DezB
    Free Member

I rather like this too.

Whereas I, thought them rather dull.

gobuchul
    Free Member

why some of us on here are happy to spend thousands of £££s on expensive bikes when one from Halfords could do the job for less than two hundred notes..

Art is subjective.

A lighter, stronger and faster bike is not.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Tracey Emin on Newsnight’ is closed to new replies.