• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by jb72.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Towbar fitting on newish vehicle, does it need the extra wiring to ECU?
  • redstripe
    Free Member

Need to get a towbar fitted on my year old van, emailed around for a few quotes, most are about £250 all in with standard 7 pin electrics. One place says that whilst it’s still under warranty I need to get extra wiring and the ECU recoded so all lights and sensors etc function properly, for another £200 on top. Anyone know for sure if I do? Cheers

nstpaul

Don’t know for sure, but when I went to get a tow bar fitted to my car I was told I could go basic or get the more expensive wiring loom version that ‘talks’ to the ECU.

I was told the reasoning behind the more expensive version was that the cars ECU stability control is calibrated for the vehicle not for towing a large weight behind and if things went wrong stability wise when towing the ECU may do something to actually make things worse.

Not entirely convinced if this is true but when carrying a family of 6
    I decided to spend the money in the hope that it does work as described.

alex2002
    Free Member

Hi,

So i ve fitted a few tow bars now onto a range of cars: volvo v60v vw Golf TDi, Honda CRV

At very least you MUST install a bypass relay or risk critically damaging your cars ecu. Some cars its more important than others to have the official towing relay. If your ever going to tow a caravan go for the 13 Pin electrics and a towing relay. If its a bike rack 7 pin and bypass relay.

Make sure you got it down at a reputable dealer, i always use WITTER.

redstripe
    Free Member

Yes basically a bike rack, and odd occasions a diddy trailer i.e. Nothing weighty to affect stability so perhaps 7 pin with relay and yes guys quoted for witter, cheers

jb72
    Free Member

Fitted a cheap tow bar and bypass relay to our Megane for towing a trailer tent. No issues.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Towbar fitting on newish vehicle, does it need the extra wiring to ECU?’ is closed to new replies.