Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Tourer for JOGLE epic – max price £1000
  • ajt123
    Free Member

I’m thinking about doing the John O Groats to Lands end next summer.

Have Blue Pig for the mountain biking and a skinny wheeled single speed, so ideal opportunity to upgrade the fleet.

Thinking steel frame, gears, saddle and handle bar bags, no panniers.

Maybe a Planet X Kaffenback. People seem to like Surly Karate Monkeys.

I will probably custom build, but if people rate complete bikes, I’d be interested to hear.

Cheers

Alex

shuhockey
    Free Member

If your not using panniers look at carrandise bags, I have the seat mounted on and it’s great, also out of the wind.

singlecrack
    Free Member

I’m after a Salsa Fargo to do the same on ….mixture of road and off road…..I see an epic adventure culminating ……I could end up anywhere …

scotroutes

When I did LeJog two of the ladies were on £250 “shopper” bikes.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

And how did that end?

MSP

Genesis fortitude? although I would prefer drop bars myself.

http://www.realcycles.com/m1b0s311p3077/GENESIS_Fortitude_Race_29er_2013

scotroutes

With tea and cake. 😆

Everyone completed the trip. Some took a little longer some days but we still managed it in 10 days. It’s a great ride to do – I’d thoroughly recommend it. FWIW, I also met someone who did it – all self supported – on a Brompton

tinribz
    Free Member

Just did a Coast 2 Coast on a Kaff with saddlebag, no complaints could easily handle more weight.

For lejog I would be looking for light as possible, seeing as Genesis is so popular recently reckon I’d consider the Equilibrium frameset. Or for another steel alternative Ribble Winter/Audax 525 Frame?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

tinribz – Nice bike dude!

scotrouts – Good, every ride should finish with T+C [or beer] 🙂 I was wondering if the bikes held-up, and I’m glad they did.

midlifecrashes

Under your budget, but most of the non drivetrain is second-hand, though you’d be hard pushed to tell. There are bargains out there if you’re happy to wait for the right kit to show up.

Edric64
    Free Member

My mates dad has just done it.I think he was going to use a Brompton

titusrider
    Free Member

Me and four mates all did it in 9 days ctc b&b route with saddle packs and carbon race bikes. We were all fine and had a great time (because we were lucky with the weather)

just get a road bike that fits you, giant defy?

shortcut

I did it on a Condor Fratello which new was around £1,000 couldn’t ask for better really. Loads around second hand don’t get hung up on weight etc. just something that fits, takes guards and is comfy.

RichieBoy
    Free Member

Not exactly fasionable, but Ridgeback do one for about £800 which is cracking value. Surly LHT will come in about £1100 but will last you forever. I had a salsa fork fail on me so can’t recommend them, but they are over your budget anyway.

sambuka
    Free Member

What’s the benefit of saddlebag over panniers?

brumsgrove
    Free Member

Thorn Club Tour?Well proven UK brand.

Toasty

I really fancy a Disc Trucker at the mo:

http://surlybikes.com/bikes/disc_trucker

To replace a Tricross that’s on it’s last legs. The brakes were always rubbish, discs are much more appealing!

steezysix
    Free Member

Not done LEJOG myself, but I’ve just been touring around Belgium and Holland for a couple of weeks on a Norco Indie Drop and it was flawless. It’s only £540 at Evans now, which would leave you plenty spare for changing gearing, adding racks etc. It’ll easily take bigger tyres than the stock ones if you want to do cyclocross/offroad.

ton

I have recently built up a new tourer for well under £1000, based on a new disc trucker frame.

managed a few 50+ milers on it so far….comfy is the main plus point.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

on the road: after these days of laps trials and I am very happy and satisfied with the purchase, the bike is responsive and perfectly follows my intentions (may seem strange but it gives me the same feeling of perfect control of an Alfa Romeo: an ecstasy of pleasure! ),

A review of the Norco on Evans’ site 😆

ton

24-06-13 disc trucker 001

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Ahh – Shortcut – that’s a good suggestion. Quality bikes, Condor.

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

If you are carrying luggage,get a bike designed for the job.Touring bikes will have a lower centre of gravity to make them more stable under load,and the chainstays will be longer to keep a rack and panniers out of the way.

I got my Kona Sutra for £1000 – love it.Use it daily for commuting and have done numerous long distance rides and the odd tour.
    Addmitedly its not the fastest/lightest bike around, but like Ton says,comfort is the main concern,and its definately an all day in the saddle ,especially with a Brooks.

As for bags I’ve used it with both panniers and Carradice saddle bag. Depends how much gear you want to carry. The Sutra has had some pretty heavy loads but the handling never seems to be too compromised.

ajt123
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips – excellent feedback.

Very tempted by the Genesis – especially at that price.

Part of me thinks take the ten speed off that and put on the Ragley…

Genesis always overpriced IMO – especially when you take the rubbish shimano hubs and chains into account.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I built up my On One Ti ‘Cross bike to ride the LEL on:

DSC_0135 by ir_bandito, on Flickr

Mostly second hand, but the wheels, lights and luggage were all new.
    Came to about £1000

Its amazingly comfortable. Now toying with the idea of LEJOGLE, but starting in the middle-ish to avoid having to get to either end.

brooess
    Free Member

I’m about to sell one of these if you’re interested?

Tifosi CK7

Email in profile. Thinking c £700. Only been ridden from Feb this year, twice a week so pretty much as new.

I’ll be cleaning it up over the weekend and can take some photos then

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I’d vote LHT, ’cause they’re nice and I have one so can report that it is indeed nice. Mine’s not geared for touring but the ride is as comfy as anything and its been in this form for a few years and happily does all dayers, commuting, and whatnot:

Yeah I know, the stem is upside down.

I reckon you could spec it yourself with all new kit around 105 level for about £1200. The complete bikes have a bit of cost-saving going on with some of the drivetrain.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Tourer for JOGLE epic – max price £1000’ is closed to new replies.