Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 107 total)
  • Tour de France Stage 15 – Laissac-Sévérac l'Église / Le Puy-en-Velay – Hills!
  • mikey3
    Free Member

Before the last half km the other day up the airfield I thought sky had this in the bag,great seeing it all get blown up,exciting(I am watching on it4+1 tho,luckily I haven’t read any of the above posts:)

epicsteve
    Free Member

Landa would be the main GC rider for most other teams and sounds like that’s exactly what he’ll be next year.

mrblobby
    Free Member

If Landa goes to Movistar he’ll get given the Giro or Vuelta and a supporting role to Quintana in the Tour. Same as at Sky.

Sky no different to any other big team though in having super domestiques. Even Merckx wanted the best riders riding on his team.

Twodogs

What does Froome have in his nose when he’s warming down? Looks like a nose ring but that seems unlikely

Daffy

Perhaps it something for his allergies….

mrblobby
    Free Member

One of these…

Home Turbine

mrblobby
    Free Member

greentricky
    Free Member

What does Froome have in his nose when he’s warming down? Looks like a nose ring but that seems unlikely

He wears it before the race as well, you seem him sat in the group waiting to cycle and has one in, figure he pulls it out and chucks it as soon as the race start

Twodogs

Well you live an learn…cheers!

cheers_drive

Dan Martin would be in Yellow by 3s if Porte hadn’t crashed in to him, I had never considered him GC material.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Maybe. More likely he’d have been marked much more closely.

cheers_drive

Well there is that, still impressive considering his lack of team support

bikebouy
    Free Member

Impressive win by Mollema, good ride Sir.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Well there is that, still impressive considering his lack of team support

He’s riding really well and I’m hoping he can get back a bit more time as it’d be great to see him on the podium.

lunge

Just watching this stage on the highlights. Nuts once again, Froome will be chuffed he didn’t lose time and equally chuffed that it’s a rest day tomorrow as he had to go very deep indeed.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Hella ride by Bauke….chapeau

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I reckon the other gc contenders will be a bit concerned that froome was able to get back on and stay back on. When he was a minute down with ag2r pushing on the front it could easily have been game over.

crazy-legs

That was good – just watched the highlights on ITV4 having been completely out of touch with it all day so it all came as a surprise to me!

Not sure why Sky seem to have so many mechanicals, usually at the worst possible time…

theotherjonv

Brailsford said it was a (slow) puncture, didn’t he? Said he had a soft tyre and had to quickly decide whether to ride with it or make a change?

Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

Brailsford said it was a (slow) puncture, didn’t he?

Oh no, this will give Chris Boardman an excuse to push his tubless tyre agenda again. 🙂 Makes me wonder if they’re a feature on the more expensive Boardman bikes?

aracer
    Free Member

How dare he extol the virtues of something which is better.

ctk
    Free Member

Amazing by Froome to get back but did ag2r slow a bit? Maybe the faster out of the group (assume, Bardet, Aru, Uran) should have attacked.

crazy-legs

Makes me wonder if they’re a feature on the more expensive Boardman bikes?

They’re a feature on pretty much any decent set of wheels now and frankly there’s no excuse not to be using them in an event like that where the difference between winning and outside the top ten can be a matter of a couple of minutes – it can easily be that long, especially on mountain roads before a car can get there.

A mate recently converted his TT bike to tubeless. A few weeks later he got a puncture as he rolled up to the start line. A few spins of the wheel, it was sealed and he won the event. On a regular tyre or a tubular, it would have meant a DNS since he wouldn’t have had time to fix it before the start and he’s not a pro with spare wheels and bikes to hand.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

That interview in the highlights with Aru’s team met was rather telling! Especially the before and after versions.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Missed rgatinterview flashy – what was the gist?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

In summary –

Michael Valgren, immediately after yesterday’s stage – “Aru screwed up. Didn’t talk to us on race radio, couldn’t hold my wheel, wasn’t saying anything to any of us. Idiot. Froome is in yellow? Good!”

Michael Valgren, at the start of today’s stage – “We all have bad days, I let him down, he lost seconds as a result. He’s a great guy and we all love him.”

One can only imagine the hauling and hot coals he got over dinner yesterday.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

In a nutshell:

Where was Aru?
    Don’t know, wouldn’t hold my wheel. Did Froome take yellow?
    Yes.
    Good.

Bit of backtracking this morning!

Edit – too slow…

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Ah, interesting.

cchris2lou

Bardet and Aru should have attacked as soon as Froome came back .

jambalaya
    Free Member

I seemed to have watched the right two stages, yesterday and today ! Impressive by Froome to get back on and I too am a bit surprised AGR/Bardet didn’t attack when Froome was trying to bridge the gap. As per ITV commentary (I think it was there) Landy today looked a bit like Froome / Wiggins on that climb where Froome was ordered back. Landy made a p(nother) statement today.

I do wonder as the route this year doesn’t have so many mohntain top finishes if Froome has trained differentiy ? He’s clearly not as dominant uphill as he was, loss of Geraint seemed significant today imo

aracer
    Free Member

Maybe – but there was a long way to the finish from the top of the climb, and a few others who would probably work with Froome and Landa. Or maybe they couldn’t.

aracer
    Free Member

😕 he wasn’t exactly sluggish on the climb today – effectively he took almost a minute out of the rest of the top 10! Nor was he looking slow yesterday.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Think Aru and Bardet were possibly knackered themselves. Wonder if they’d really practised the Sky train kind of high speed grinding down beforehand.

Must’ve something like that, Froome must have been expecting them to go once he’d got back to the lead pack and seemed so strange not to have happened.

irelanst
    Free Member

I think they (AG2R) put the hammer down as a team, everything went their way (with Froome’s puncture) and when Froome and Landa rode back on they realised they couldn’t beat them, and without Estana being able to help out they realised it was game over – I thought it was a massive morale boost for Sky today.

greentricky
    Free Member

AG2R have a target to win the team classification, no fans give a stuff about the team classification but apparently the teams care. Sky were leading AG2R at the start of the day by 19minutes and at the end of the day by 9minutes, so it was quite a successful day for AG2R in the regard

greentricky
    Free Member

I think the block head wind forced them to give up hope for Bardet to gap people on the climb and descent and put some time into the others as well, so they had to be happy to just make Froome dig deep going in to rest day

crosshair
    Free Member

It looked to me as if Landa deposited Froome back on the group and then rode forward to cover attacks rather than make any kind of statement.

That has to be pretty demoralising for the others too 😆

greentricky
    Free Member

Gonna be fun seeing how Quintana and Landa interact next year if they keep similar form

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

fun seeing how Quintana and Landa interact next year if they keep similar form

Landa simply has to be the team leader, and Nairo left to go stage hunting in the mountains. On current form at least!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Listening to the interview with Dan Martin, he was pretty much saying that no one attacked as they were all in the red from the efforts of AG2R. Which makes Froome’s recovery all the more impressive. Huge save too as if they’d got over the top with Froome on his own or with just Landa for help it could have been a very bad day for him.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 107 total)

The topic ‘Tour de France Stage 15 – Laissac-Sévérac l'Église / Le Puy-en-Velay – Hills!’ is closed to new replies.