Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Tougher (650b) gravel tyres?
  • JonEdwards
    Free Member

I’ve been using 650×47 Gravelking SKs (run tubeless, obvs) since I first re-purposed an old 26″ MTB as a gravel bike back in 2018. I’ve had the odd pinch flat, but on the whole been pretty impressed with how they’ve held up. Roll well, grippy enough, seemingly tough enough.

A couple of months ago I swapped to a more conventional gravel bike – a Genesis Fugio, which I’ve stuck my old old wheels on as they were significantly lighter. Since then, I seem to be averaging a pinch flat/ride – many more of which are front wheel ones, which is highly unusual. I think I’m riding a bit faster, but I’m aware by descending in the drops that I’ve got a lot more weight on the front wheel.

It’s always similar conditions – fast, difficult light (dappled mostly) chossy rubbly trail (the kind of trail that was “gravel” but all the fines have been washed away) and I just smash straight into something a bit pointier than all the other rocks that I haven’t even begun to have seen and the tyre is flat as a pancake 30′ later. Today’s effort was coming down Coombsdale in the White Peak.

I’m running 32psi front, 40 rear.

So any recommendations for something similar to a Gravelking that’s a bit less fragile? Must be 650b…

Thanks!

rs
    Free Member

are gravel inserts a thing?

scotroutes

Teravail Rutlands come in two compounds. Maybe the tougher one?

butcher

Pretty sure there’s there’s a tougher version of the Gravel King. Never used them myself, the reviews regarding GK fragility in general put me off.

Tim
    Free Member

rs
    Free Member
    are gravel inserts a thing?

That’s up there with gravel specific pumps as a marketer’s wet dream

roverpig

I’ve been using the Teravail Rutland (after a recommendation on here) for a couple of months. Went with the lighter version but so far no punctures despite chucking them down some pretty rocky Scottish trails.

The tough version doesn’t actually add much weight though. In fact it’s less than the variation in real world weights as one of my light versions actually weighs more than the quoted weight for the tough version.

When I first put them on I thought they had noticeably more drag on the road than the WTB Byways they replaced (but more grip off road too). That seemed to go away after a couple of rides though. Not sure if is in my head but they just seemed to suddenly feel faster after a couple of rides and Strava shows that my averages on them after a few months are indistinguishable from the Byways.

mashr

That’s up there with gravel specific pumps as a marketer’s wet dream

Not really. Gravel inserts are a thing, but they are only “gravel” as MTB ones are too big to fit in normal sized gravel tyres

lesshaste

I rode vittoria terreno dry’s all last year after having gravelkings (slick version) get punctured every ride.
    I’m riding chalk downs, so flints were my problem. The vittorias were bigger, heavier but the rubber felt less soft, tougher if you like.
    If they punctured, it was small enough for the sealant to seal

PJay
    Free Member

the reviews regarding GK fragility in general put me off.

Is this a thing? I’ve been thinking of trying some GravelKing SKs in 700×50 on my Swift. I ride some quite rough bridleways.

Pretty sure there’s there’s a tougher version of the Gravel King

I think that there are Plus (+) versions of GravelKings.

https://www.cxmagazine.com/panaracer-gravel-tire-plus-casing-tubless-sealant-new-treads

ampthill

Vittoria dries here as well. The tube or tubeless version. Definitely feels stronger than a gravel king

13thfloormonk

I rode vittoria terreno dry’s all last year

Came here to say the same thing, there is something reassuringly tough feeling about the carcass, if I was a journo writing a review I’d even say something like they feel well ‘damped’ or something.

dovebiker

I’ve had zero punctures from Pirelli Cinturano Ms in a year – my local ‘gravel’ in the Scottish highlands is akin to broken rocks tipped down the hillside.

winston
    Free Member

I just put some Hutchinson Overides on mine in place of the Sendero (which are a total nightmare for punctures) and they feel pretty tough and way less draggy obviously.

Bounced them down about 50km of flinty downs trail so far and they felt fine

Look good too!

ns77214
    Free Member

Also running the Cinturato M in 650×50 at about 30psi with no issues so far.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Ive got a pair of these for sale if your interested…. Donnely Xplor MSO 50mm wide made my Fugio soooo much fun to ride. That extra 3 mm makes a big difference to the volume and will let you smash over anything.

IMG-20200227-113025

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Tougher (650b) gravel tyres?’ is closed to new replies.