Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • 'Touched' by lorry…do anything?
  • oldgit
    Free Member

TBH now I’m home I can’t be bothered. A lorry passed and came in too soon, I held myself off by putting my elbow on his trailer until a strap thingy snagged me and sent me swerving.
    Long shot is no harm done, but at the time I was furious screaming out what a C he was, launching gob his way and wildly gesticulating.
    Ironically I caught up with him as I was going faster than him through the village. Though it wise not to pull up alongside such a huge wagon?

Anyway what to do, and the only reason I think I should do anything at all is ‘what if it wasn’t me’ someone able to handle his self, able to hold a sliding bike a la cyclo cross. What if it was a 70 year old commuter or a kid, even a total newbie?

Tempted to demand a face to face next time he is delivering to the well known quite posh supermarket.
    Funny! after going on about my lack of incidents over all the decades.

devash
    Free Member

Carry a lump hammer in your Camelbak.

Passenger window, wingmirror and windscreen. He’ll get the message next time.

Afterwards, tweet ‘Definitely smashed up a lorry earlier – I have right of way he doesn’t even pay road tax! #bloodydrivers.’

nickjb
    Free Member

If you have the time (and any other details) and the company then at least report to his employer. Not worth going to the police. I might be tempted to just say he hit you on the arm rather than go into detail about fending off.

oldgit
    Free Member

Yeah just did that. Had part reg, couldn’t see a high one and had to ride up close to see it lower right.
    Logged part reg. exact time. location and company name.

He really shouldn’t have pulled in until he could see me again..correct?

steveh

Definitely report it, I’d say police and employer. Unlikely as it is how would you feel next week or next month if another cyclist is hit and comes off worse than you did?

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Report him to his employer.
    Supermarkets take a pretty dim view of stuff like this.

jodafett

Go to the supermarkets Twitter account and complain directly on that. It’s amazing how quickly they react! I’m talking from experience.

logical
    Free Member

2nd jodafett. Only company i’ve found that doesn’t react to this is Arriva Trains Wales 🙂 Who are just useless.

martymac

as a professional driver . . .
    please complain, you are not being unreasonable, he should have left you plenty of room.
    it may well be the wake up call the driver needs to take a closer look at his standards.

MoreCashThanDash

Take muddydwarf with you next time?

brooess
    Free Member

Don’t let it go. There’s too much of this stuff going on but it won’t stop if we put up with it

transporter13
    Free Member

Another professional driver here.

Definitely complain, you may not be so lucky next time

Trekster

Had a similar incident recently when a truck overtook me and then promptly turned left just after his rear end passed me!! Bit of a moment but managed to control it. The driver had given me plenty of space whilst overtaking but had obviously underestimated my speed(20mph)and the distance to the junction ahead!!
    Mailed the company with a whole load of “advice” gleaned from the internet for them to pass on to their drivers. Got a reasonable reply which I was happy with.

oldgit
    Free Member

but had obviously underestimated my speed(20mph)

Well that’s what I wondered. I didn’t have a computer, but I know it’s anywhere between 18 and 26mph along there. Like you he seemed to give me ample space, and I’m a kerb hugger 600mm out’ish.

dabble
    Free Member

Did it touch you in your special area?

project
    Free Member

How many other cyclists need to be killed or seriouslyinjured before people make complaimnts about serous poor driving, you where lucky so me arent.

oldgit
    Free Member

Did it touch you in your special area?

Buckinghamshire 😕

tthew

Only company i’ve found that doesn’t react to this is Arriva Trains Wales

If you are twittering to complain about nearly getting knocked off your bike by overtaking trains, then I’m not surprised they are ignoring you! 😀

steezysix
    Free Member

If you were touched by a priest you’d definitely report it, why should a lorry be any different?

Mikeypies
    Free Member

report it

I have 3 times, rang up the company and asked fro ther fleet manager twice (both lorrys) they sounded as if they cared and siad that they knew who was on that run and would have a work and thanked me. The other which was a coach driver who mounted the kerb and drove half on the pavement and proceeded to smash 2 cars wing mirrors the fleet manager dismissed my account and said he would know who was driving there unless I had the number plate and that it couldnt have happened as he would have had more complants.

DezB
    Free Member

Unbelievable that lorry drivers can be such careless dicks, driving such massive, dangerous vehicles around.
    I’d report it these days. Though, when a very similar thing happened to me a few years back I was satisfied with jumping up on the cab and giving the sod a mouthful when he replied “I didn’t hit you. I saw you in the layby when I went past.” I was actually riding past a junction. He saw me, but still the back of his trailer hit my arm.
    Yes, report it.

bellys
    Free Member

If you catch them up at traffic lights or roundabout…Open passenger door and ride off..works a treat.

gwj72
    Free Member

“Touched” by a lorry?

Could you show me on the dolly where it touched you?

😀

croxs

Report it as a pro driver fed up having to defend poor drivers to other cyclists 😉

Andy

delivering to the well known quite posh supermarket

Definitely ring up that Supermarkets customer services and report it. They will know who the driver is, thank you for your call and deal with it.

butcher

I remember reading an account by a young woman a while back. She was doing a routine ride, on a routine road. Lorry overtook her, started pulling in…started getting a bit close. She put a hand out in an attempt to push herself away, and the next thing she knew she was underneath. I don’t remember what injuries she suffered, but she was lucky to escape with her life.

There’s a very fine line between close shave, and dead. Which is why it’s completely unacceptable for an HGV to get that close.

Andy

Yup. Driver may not even realise he/she is making that mistake. Unlikely. Or was just being sloppy. Either way needs reporting so company can deal with it to ensure mistake isn’t repeated with more tragic consequences.

project
    Free Member

Dear transport manager and managing director,

Today 30 11 2013, one of your liveried vehicles passed me very closely while i was cyling, along ….road in anytown, the driver made a very close overtaking manouvre, catching my arm with the lashing buckles on his trailer, the vehicle reg was, and the time was…………..

THE DRIVER FAILED TO STOP, DESPITE ME MAKING NUMEROUS ATTEMPTS TO ATTRACT HIS ATTENTION.

I am very concerned the driver failed to take a sensible overtaking manoeuvre despite all the recent media reports regarding cyclists being killed by LGV,s in london.

I am sure that your company and shareholders would not like the negetive publicity after one of your drivers hits a cyclist, and the resultant increase in insurance costs.

Best wishes,

A cyclist.

trevron73
    Free Member

If your too shy to say the words , show us on this cycling doll where he touched you ?? it s ok dont be scared ?

trevron73
    Free Member

If your too shy to say the words , show us on this cycling doll where he touched you ?? it s ok dont be scared ?

oldgit
    Free Member

Passed onto their transport division for immediate attention. The fizz has gone out of it now though.
    Most of me thinks just move on, but part of me thinks what if it was one of those enthusiastic cyclist who can’t ride for toffee. Could have been different.

tomd
    Free Member

I had a few near misses with a certain number of bus on the way to work (dodgy over takes on roundabout despite the road being deserted). Finally I wrote to the depot and described what happened. Not in a ranty way, just explaining the location, time & details. I didn’t have high hopes but thought I should as the driver was going to get someone sooner or later.

Anyway, I got a proper written response back from the depot manager explaining the investigation he’d done and that he’d “re-educated” some of his drivers. Taken at face value, it was all that I wanted. So, it can be worth it.

hora
    Free Member

I reported a truck driver. It almost had me and a female cyclist under his wheels (he was wearing dark shades on an early grey morning).

patriotpro
    Free Member

Whether you pagga the drivers in these circumstances or not is up to the individual but all these incidents should be reported, at the very least.

bigyinn
    Free Member

logical – Member

2nd jodafett. Only company i’ve found that doesn’t react to this is Arriva Trains Wales Who are just useless.
    Well known for their vehicles on the road are they?

TiRed

I reported an HGV driver for intimidation at the Post Office Worldwide Distribution Centre in Langley. They took it VERY seriously. The director of transport called me several times afterwards to update me. If they don’t take it seriously, that’s the time to “go viral” as it says a lot about the company culture.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘'Touched' by lorry…do anything?’ is closed to new replies.