Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 253 total)
  • Torture – is it ever justified?
  • surfer
    Free Member

Every so often on STW, we get a “What battery drill” thread. Tbh, they get a bit boring. Tonight though, it’s received an interesting twist.

What battery drill for torturing the guy you’ve hypothetically caught that’s hypothetically captured your wife and kids and hypothetically knows their whereabouts but laughs hypothetically hysterically at you. I’m thinking lithium ion isn’t going to be that important for this job.

As contrived and hypothetical as it gets, unless you can answer that you would not use torture under any circumstances then you are “not against torture” as such.
    We can argue about how effective it is in practice but by definition I suspect we will not get accurate statistics!
    The question Harris asks is “is there ever any circumstances in which you would agree to its use” Unless you can say no to every possible situation then you are “for” torture.

The Link to Sam Harris’s article above outlines this.

Nobody likes the thought of using it but its easy to take the high moral ground when decisions to protect security are taken by someone else. we can then live our lives in “relative” security while condemning the distasteful and difficult decisions taken by others to keep us that way.

surfer
    Free Member

Every so often on STW, we get a “What battery drill” thread. Tbh, they get a bit boring. Tonight though, it’s received an interesting twist.

What battery drill for torturing the guy you’ve hypothetically caught that’s hypothetically captured your wife and kids and hypothetically knows their whereabouts but laughs hypothetically hysterically at you. I’m thinking lithium ion isn’t going to be that important for this job.

As contrived and hypothetical as it gets, unless you can answer that you would not use torture under any circumstances then you are “not against torture” as such.
    We can argue about how effective it is in practice but by definition I suspect we will not get accurate statistics!
    The question Harris asks is “is there ever any circumstances in which you would agree to its use” Unless you can say no to every possible situation then you are “for” torture.

The Link to Sam Harris’s article above outlines this.

Nobody likes the thought of using it but its easy to take the high moral ground when decisions to protect security are taken by someone else. we can then live our lives in “relative” security while condemning the distasteful and difficult decisions taken by others to keep us that way.

surfer
    Free Member

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

Torture- Is it ever justified?

Yes it is…….. i work in a pupil referral unit.

bazzer
    Free Member

I have noticed that no one has really answered my hypothetical question 🙂

I know I would do whatever it took to keep my family safe and everything from there on in is a shade of grey.

LHS
    Free Member

+1

tazzymtb

Torture- is it ever justified?

yes by the people carrying out the act so that they can do barabric things and pass the moral blame on to someone else.

Is it an act that should ever be carried out?

No, no way, not ever.
    If you are going to torture someone just to inflict maximum pain as a punishment then at least you’re an honest evil b**tard.
    If you try to protect the liberty and freedom of a democracy by torture then you’ve already lost as liberty and freedom can’t exist with state sponsored torture

surfer
    Free Member

@Tazzymtb

So given the contrived theoretical positions I refer to (call it the Sam Harris position) that you would never inflict torture on somebody? even if you were “sure” that they could provide information that could lead to the release of innocent victims?

ton

bike thiefs would be right at the top of my torture list….. 8)
    followed by soft lefty ****, taxi drivers, vegans, hoodies and richard maddeley

surfer
    Free Member

To answer the question.

I would find it as distasteful and barbaric as anybody else on this thread but when I try to answer the theoretical question above I personally would inflict pain on someone if I was convinced there was a high likliehood that innocent people could be saved by my actions.

ononeorange

Never. At all. There’s then no line between justifying it on the basis that that person “might have some knowledge that will prevent whatever” and inflicting it on people whose ideas and beliefs you might not agree with.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

surfer – its a stupid position. It follows no logic. How can you be sure they have information but you don’t know what the information is?

Its never justified. Its illegal in international law, its morally wrong and it doesn’t proved useful information anyway

I ask you again. How many innocents are you prepared to torture to get one bit of information?

MSP

I would say that if those sanctioning torture are so convinced by its ability to save lives, they should be willing to do time for their actions.
    At the moment their is no personal cost to the decision makers who declare war and authorise torture, maybe 10 years for authorising torture and life for sending troops to war would concentrate their minds on alternative solutions.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I don’t think torture is generally justifiable, however I could see circumstances in the field where the temptation to get needed information for immediate use (and which could be immediately verified) might be difficult to resist.

For example if a member of my family were being held by kidnappers and I had caught one of them I’d be willing to use any means to get them to tell me the location.

jon1973
    Free Member

God tells me that it is not acceptable

Is that the same God that probably told Bush is was perfectly acceptable? 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Surfer = answer the question. How many innocents is it justifiable to torture to get the piece of information you want. How many women? How many children?

surfer
    Free Member

surfer – its a stupid position. It follows no logic. How can you be sure they have information but you don’t know what the information is?

Your wrong TJ. To refine the question:
    If you had “reliable” information to indicate that a captive had information which could save a 000 lives, if he himself told you he had the information and you know he set the device to explode. Would you sanction the use of torture in this instance?

Its no use saying that the scenario is far fetched because the bottom line is that ther is a principle at stake. If you were as sure as is humanely possible that torture would provide results would you sanction it? If the answer is no then thats fine. For me the answer is yes and I suspect it is for most other people.

The fact is we live in a democracy which allows us to whine at people who have to make horrible decisions whiles enjoying the benefits.

surfer
    Free Member

Surfer = answer the question. How many innocents is it justifiable to torture to get the piece of information you want. How many women? How many children?

I will answer your question TJ but first answer mine.

Would you torture 1 person to save a 000?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

No and I have said so. Its never justifiable.

Not that the situation you describe could ever occur anyway. Its just complete nonsense with no logic behind it

surfer
    Free Member

Not that the situation you describe could ever occur anyway.

It doesnt matter though does it.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Its illegal in international law,

I go back to my point on the previous page TJ – what’s illegal? where exactly do you draw the line between perfectly legal and acceptable interrogation techniques and “torture”?

surfer
    Free Member

This situation could never occur anyway

ton

i bet them nipple clamp things would be better than a bit of dripping water……….. 🙂

luked2
    Free Member

@surfer – your argument is specious. In the real world, we are never in this situation. It only ever happens in fiction (e.g. “24”).

In the real world, if you start down the slippery road of torturing people “only when you’re sure it’s OK”, you pretty quickly get into a rotten state.

What do you think the reaction of the friends and family of the people you torture will be? Won’t they want to seek revenge?

What effect will it have on the torturers themselves? Will they end up becoming increasingly confused about where the line lies and whether they’ve crossed it?

What do you think other people in other parts of the world will make of it? Won’t they follow our example, but with fewer constraints. They’ll just get on and torture whoever they fancy. And we won’t be able to condemn them.

In reality, you won’t ever save any lives in these situations, but you *will* start down a road to a place that is very hard to get back from.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Surfer.
    You don’t know which person amongst a group of people have the info you want – so you have to torture them until you get to the person with the info.

By the very nature of the fact you are trying to find info you don’t know wh has it and who does not.

Zulu – thats why we have international law. Its clear and obvious.

surfer
    Free Member

No and I have said so. Its never justifiable.

If thats your position then fine however I would find it inconceivable in the unrealistic situation I point to that most people would not use some technique (for this I mean an act that could be considered “torture) to gain information to save lives.
    Do you have a scale of torture that you would consider? Would you balk at waterboarding but accept a small amount of sleep deprivation?

luked2
    Free Member

i bet them nipple clamp things would be better than a bit of dripping water………..

Hey, let’s look up waterboarding on Wikipedia shall we?

Waterboarding is a form of torture that consists of immobilizing the subject on his/her back with the head inclined downwards. Water is then poured over the face into breathing passages, thus triggering the mammalian diving reflex causing the captive to experience the sensations of drowning.[1][2] In contrast to submerging the head face-forward in water, waterboarding precipitates an almost immediate gag reflex.[3] It can cause extreme pain, dry drowning, damage to lungs, brain damage from oxygen deprivation, other physical injuries including broken bones due to struggling against restraints, lasting psychological damage and, if uninterrupted, death

Are you sure this is ok?

surfer
    Free Member

@surfer – your argument is specious. In the real world, we are never in this situation. It only ever happens in fiction (e.g. “24”).

In the real world, if you start down the slippery road of torturing people “only when you’re sure it’s OK”, you pretty quickly get into a rotten state.

What do you think the reaction of the friends and family of the people you torture will be? Won’t they want to seek revenge?

What effect will it have on the torturers themselves? Will they end up becoming increasingly confused about where the line lies and whether they’ve crossed it?

What do you think other people in other parts of the world will make of it? Won’t they follow our example, but with fewer constraints. They’ll just get on and torture whoever they fancy. And we won’t be able to condemn them.

In reality, you won’t ever save any lives in these situations, but you *will* start down a road to a place that is very hard to get back from.

You may well undertake a full anlysis however the “ticking bomb” scenario doesnt allow that luxury. As I have said this is clearly an unlikely scenario however the point is you have to make a decision. My position on this is clear however and given only a few minutes to consider my action future foreign policy, how relased captives may view my actions or how this would impact future prisoner relations would not be high on my agenda.

luked2
    Free Member

Do you have a scale of torture that you would consider? Would you balk at waterboarding but accept a small amount of sleep deprivation?

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

surfer
    Free Member

Are you sure this is ok?

I dont think anyone is saying its “ok” if you think that is my position then you have misunderstood.

surfer
    Free Member

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

But thats not an answer is it.

philconsequence
    Free Member

Sometimes torture is alright… every time someone starts a helmet thread to suck TJ in for example.

In all seriousness… i couldn’t torture another human or animal… and i wouldn’t want somebody doing it on my behalf!

Until any of us are put in an ACTUAL situation where its suggested as a solution to uncover info that could save others lives or the lives of people we love i dont think any of us can accurately predict what we’d do.

i hope that none of us are ever put in that situation.

anyone seen the film “rendition”?

ton

also, i find sitting on someones chest so they are immobilised and tickling their face with a piece of grass works a treat…….. 👿

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Surfer no – its an absolute. Torture is never justifiable in any circumstance

So now you answer the question. You know one person in a village has the information you want. How many innocent villagers is it OK to torture to make sure you get the info?

IanMunro
    Free Member

You may well undertake a full anlysis however the “ticking bomb” scenario doesnt allow that luxury. As I have said this is clearly an unlikely scenario however the point is you have to make a decision.

There was an interesting interview with an ex head of MI5/6 on R4 earlier this year covering this point. I think he described the ‘ticking bomb’ as a fictional scenario rather than an unlikely one, and in all his years of service had never come across and such scenario existing. He then went on to explain that if such a situation existed the person just needs to keep handing out plausibly incorrect information till the bomb has exploded.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Zulu – thats why we have international law. Its clear and obvious.

TJ – No its not, International law prohibits “Any act by which severe pain or suffering, whether physical or mental, is intentionally inflicted…

What exactly constitutes severe pain or suffering?

as an example does, in your opinion, sleep deprivation, fulfil the legal definition of torture?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Its only not obvious if you are hard of thinking.

bassspine
    Free Member

MSP:

I would say that if those sanctioning torture are so convinced by its ability to save lives, they should be willing to do time for their actions.
    At the moment their is no personal cost to the decision makers who declare war and authorise torture…

how about the torturer personally gets to experience the same torture they enact? It could be done with machines so no further blame. If Bush believes waterboarding is fine,let him experience it. If corporal P. tortures an Iraqi suspect, he/she can try the fun too.

surfer
    Free Member

Surfer no – its an absolute. Torture is never justifiable in any circumstance

So now you answer the question. You know one person in a village has the information you want. How many innocent villagers is it OK to torture to make sure you get the info?

Thats not the same question you asked earlier though is it.

There was an interesting interview with an ex head of MI5/6 on R4 earlier this year covering this point. I think he described the ‘ticking bomb’ as a fictional scenario rather than an unlikely one, and in all his years of service had never come across and such scenario existing. He then went on to explain that if such a situation existed the person just needs to keep handing out plausibly incorrect information till the bomb has exploded

Of course it is ficticious 🙄 The principle remains the same and is not changed by the fact the captive gives false information. To try to qualify that misses the point.
    The question is would you “try” to gain the information to save a 000 innocent peopl by using torture?

LHS
    Free Member

There is a fine line between interrogation and torture. As per the point above, if you have ever been sleep deprived for long periods of time, you will know how horrific it can be. There are some who believe that so called truth drugs are the way to go, however these are unreliable as the person often loses the line between fact and fiction in the drugged up state.

The issue remains that without some form of interrogation beyond questioning then you have nothing, and by that very point, interrogation would cease to exist as anyone can just sit there in silence. What is the solution? Financial incentives? Political incentives? I don’t know. For most they are not interested in financial or political gains.

Water-boarding is one of the most horrific things you can put a person through and it quite rightly should be illegal. There is no magical solution to the legal and non-threatening extraction of data.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 253 total)

The topic ‘Torture – is it ever justified?’ is closed to new replies.