Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)
  • Top curry houses
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

I'm away seeing my family and have just had an awesome curry from Curry Queen in Norwich.

Thinking we should have a thread about our fovorite curry houses. Especially for those of us travelling for work or riding

So – where's your's and why is it so good?

brant
    Free Member

Kashmir, Bradford.

Surly often uninterested staff, dirty premises, spectacular curry.

donsimon
    Free Member

Memory banks here… Used to pick up baltis from a balti house in Moseley, Clifton Road, I think, somewhere towards the railway in Moseley!!
    Regularly went to a curry house in curry mile Manchester, but can't remember the name. ❓

Top of the list…….. Kash curryhouse, Bradford.

Pigface
    Free Member

Kahns in Bayswater was …….interesting

trailmonkey

Surly often uninterested staff, dirty premises, spectacular curry

Usually the way. The best places when I lived in Brum were the ones that did Katlama and samosa starters and barfi for deserts. Menu was about 6 variations of curry and 6 variations of Balti. Hate all these tourist places you see now with endless menus and over complicated food.

j_me
    Free Member

Shish Mahal
    and
    Mother India (the Mother India cafe is especially good, tapas meets curry house, means you can mix and match and try loads of different curries)

For Glasgow

samuri
    Free Member

'The Indian' in Leigh or it's mother house, 'The Spice Lounge' in Culceth.
    Astounding food.

alwyn
    Free Member

Madhuban – Liss

slimraybob
    Free Member

+1 for the Madhuban in Liss, my local curry house.

findo_gask
    Free Member

+1 for Mother India.
    Also, Kalpna in Edinburgh. Proper authentic veggie South Indian.

justa
    Free Member

Balti Towers – fantastic Birmingham Balti house in Burton on Trent…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Zolsha in Knaresborough and Sartaj in Harrogate – both better than any I have tried in nearby Bradford.

j_me
    Free Member

findo_gask – Cheers ! I will try Kalpana next week.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Tayaabs in Whitechapel. Family run business been going for 50 years or more. Honest, simple, amazing food at silly low prices, so good there are queues out of the door and down the street quite often. I doubt there are more than a dozen places in the whole UK that can compare really.

brant
    Free Member

Mr Safety – do you have any knowledge of the Thai cafe in "The Cut" near Waterloo station?

We used to go for lunch when I worked on Stamford St at IPC.

A green painted building. Very cheap. Very low rent. Very ace food.

brant
    Free Member
    curtisthecat
    Free Member

Lahore Kebab House just off Commercial Road.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I'm afraid I don't, Brant, sorry. I think I did eat at a fish place in that area a few years ago, can't quite remember. And there's a nice Turkish place, Tas, round the back next to the railway line.

Curtisthecat; there are some really great little places in that area (I avoid Brick Lane as it's simply too touristy and poncey); proper tatty, and the 'service', while polite, may not quite be up to Michelin standards, but the food is top-notch. You can stuff yourself for a tenner, easily.

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

For those in Bournemouth…

Winton Tandoori, Winton – Brilliant 'neighbourhood' curry house. Never had a bad meal here.

Indi's, Westbourne – Upmarket Indian fusion cuisine, but they do all of the classics too. Additionally, they have the best wine list/alcohol selection of any Indian restaurant I've ever been in.

teef
    Free Member

Shahee Mahal in East Molesey – recommend Peshwari & Nobabi Chicken dishes

brant
    Free Member

Also Sulamania just on the Colne road out of Burnley.

http://tinyurl.com/24r9v3x

It's frighteningly authentic. Slightly scary. Very cheap. Amazing.

fwb2006
    Free Member

Sheesh Mahal in twickenham. The gourmet night first Tuesday of every month are out of this world.

Baron_von_drais
    Free Member

'The Indian' in Leigh or it's mother house, 'The Spice Lounge' in Culceth.
    Astounding food.

Another recommendation for both of these.

ctk
    Free Member

The Kabul Express (formally Falah) on Gregory Blvd in Nottingham serves incredible Afghani food very cheap. Expect to pay £5 each for some of the best curry you've ever tasted! Melt in your mouth Lamb beautiful fragrant rice and Nan breads the size of dustbin lids.

Warning!- no beer and it really doesn't taste as good when you get it as a takeaway.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Mirch Masala in Tooting/Norbury/Southall great food crap surroundings.

Lahore Kharai – Tooting ace Indian cafe

East Molesey, Cocum the new one in Bridge Road loads better than Sahee Mahal South Indian food, really light, aromatic sauces. You should try it Teef!

brant
    Free Member

it really doesn't taste as good when you get it as a takeaway.

I have noticed that in several places.

joolsburger
    Free Member

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Lahore down Ladypool road in brum. A self service place but the food is tip top. 😀

Pretty much anything down Ladypool road for that matter.

northeastAndy
    Free Member

The last days of the Raj, in Gatesheads Low Fell is excellent. It is my favourite in the Newcastle area.

There is a place on main street in Newton Stewart that is very good too, I went there after riding Kirroughtree. I can't remember the name as I was just thinking about filling my face!

teef
    Free Member

East Molesey, Cocum the new one in Bridge Road loads better than Sahee Mahal South Indian food, really light, aromatic sauces. You should try it Teef!

I will – next weekend

ronniebiggs
    Free Member

over there were they belong

nicko74

Tayyabs in London, Whitechapel. Avoid the minefield of Brick Lane and take a wee detour to Aldgate East/ Whitechapel for this place. BYO, and usually rammed; starters are epic; mains are very good.

Conventional curry in the Pimlico/ Victoria area: Millbank Spice on Vauxhall Bridge Road. Conventional curry done well, with good service.

TheDoog
    Free Member

+1 for kashmir in Bradford, but bridge balti in Sowerby Bridge do some stunning take aways. Outside of Yorkshire, Memorys of Nepal in Reading is one i remember fondly and the palace in west drayton.

duntmatter
    Free Member

Will people stop mentioning Tayaabs? There's a reason there are huge queues. Keep schtum!

OmarLittle
    Free Member

another nomination for mother india in glasgow

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

over there were they belong

Can I have fun with this one? Please? Oh go on???!?!

Will people stop mentioning Tayaabs? There's a reason there are huge queues. Keep schtum!

Sorry.

Oops!

doug_basqueMTB.com

Balbirs in glasgow is/was better than Mother India. Mmmmmmmmmmm curry. I´m at least 4hrs in a car from the nearest curry place and I guess it´ll be rubbish. First stop after getting off the plane in Scotland is always Balbirs!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Karachi, Bradford, for cheap and chearful.
    Punjab, Lister Hills, Bradford, for la-di-da.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

For Glasgow, the Wee Curry House in Ashton lane (I think it's the same folk that own Mother India). Small menu, but everything tastes so fresh.

allyharp

Mother India's Cafe is my favourite in Glasgow. I've never tried Balbir's but have heard very good things.

For those in the London/South East area I've found The Surrey Palace in Ewell was excellent.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Top curry houses’ is closed to new replies.