• This topic has 32 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Jamz.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Too old…. meh… not having it :)
  • weeksy

Well, she’s not having it anyway

73-Year-Old North Shore Betty Proves You’re Never Too Old to Send

matt_outandabout

Where is that flippin’ like button?

didnthurt

Nails!

Both inspirational and aspirationally.

MoreCashThanDash

That’s fantastic

a11y

Outstanding. Really hope to be riding even half as rad as that when I’m that age.

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

It’s not an e-bike either, that’s awesome.

kayla1
    Free Member

Awesome!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Great definitely, and we all make our choices.

However at her age if she comes off the bike she is more than likely to significantly injure herself ie broken pelvis etc.

Just to put a fun spin on things 🙂

weeksy

However at her age if she comes off the bike she is more than likely to significantly injure herself ie broken pelvis etc.

I’m sure that considering her age and knowledge of the world, she knows this fact 🙂

joebristol

That is ace – the trails look fantastic that she’s riding too. She’s sums up bikes well – you always feel like you’re fast and you feel the freedom when you’re out riding.

joebristol

She does mention she’s dialled back some of the riding – going around large rock slabs etc – so she seems aware of her limitations as she gets older

footflaps

Awesome film.

She rides way better than I!

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Inspirational – truly.

v7fmp

so so cool.

Awesome stuff giving hope to us all!

leffeboy

so much happiness

MoreCashThanDash

Shared it to a cycling forum and there’s a whole bunch of middle aged ladies “she looks awesome, I want a mountain bike” and I think that says it all.

thepurist

going around large rock slabs etc – so she seems aware of her limitations as she gets older

I’m already doing that and she’s got 15 years on me. Though I wasn’t jumping waves on a windsurfer in my 30s so I think our risk appetites may be different.

As for age, on a cold & blustery day last week I overheard a chat outside a cafe when 2 chaps walked back to their bikes. The young one was 87 and had a lovely slim tubed road bike, his 90 year old mate was on a newish ebike.

csb

I imagine if she gave up her mental health would deteriorate quickly. I know which risk I’d rather take.

jamesoz

However at her age if she comes off the bike she is more than likely to significantly injure herself ie broken pelvis etc

Plenty manage that at much younger.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

She’s awesome! My Mrs can’t even go round corners on a bike.

Not that I want to go biking with my wife.

oldfart

Just 7 years behind her , she rocks! 👍

Spin
    Free Member

Superb.

tomhoward

Gonna forward this to a guy I ride with, who’s just bought an ebike as he doesn’t think his body will be up to MTB now he has turned 40…

devbrix
    Free Member

However at her age if she comes off the bike she is more than likely to significantly injure herself ie broken pelvis etc

Possibly, but she’s been doing very heavy physical activity most of her adult life, looks like she has a pretty healthy diet and if she’s on HRT as well she’ll have pretty good bone density. There’s a lot of very fit and active ‘older’ people around now and I’ve started noticing a lot of people really don’t get ‘old’ until early/mid eighties, particularly those doing regular strenuous exercise. Heartening.

spooky_b329

Agreed, I saw an article a few years back stating (claiming?) that regular cyclists are considerably more likely to remain mobile into old age without needing sticks or a walking frame.

You can break your pelvis shuffling to the shops, keeping active and maintaining your bone density and muscle strength has got to be better as long as you keep an eye on the risk level (I’ve not seen the video yet!)

welshfarmer91

There is hope for me yet, and the dog looks just like my brothers as well.

jkomo

Incredible woman.

masterdabber
    Free Member

It’s great to see Betty doing her thing and proving that those of us in our 70’s+ aren’t all “coffin dodgers” and just pootling around on e-bikes and fire roads and tow paths. She certainly is an inspiration.

There’s been quite a few references to broken pelvises which is what I did on the trails a few months ago. but back on the trails again now.

augustuswindsock

Love it!

tractionman

Chelsea Pensioner on his bike at 90!

Something to aim for 🙂

muddylegs
    Free Member

Cracking.

RustySpanner

Superb.

I go walking with a group that includes a 97 year old and several in their late 80s.
    Most of them haven’t really been hillwalking for a while, but they are all active, play board games regularly, go dancing several times a week etc.
    As long as we don’t stray too far from public loos it’s all good. 🙂

The 97 year old has just bought some nice new walking shoes. 🙂 I admire his optimism.

My wife is currently in the Himalayas and at 63 managed to get up Gokyo Ri with two new knees and (we subsequently found out) Covid!
    She’s the youngest in the group, but they are all stupidly fit and very determined people.

Jamz
    Free Member

Absolutely amazing!

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.