Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • too-big brake rotors…
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

My brother-in-law bought his first “real” mtb a few years ago. On my recomendation, he got an On-One 456 as it was great value for money at the time.
    He rides it occasionally, never excesivly “hard” and has changed anything except the chainset and the tyres which both wore out.
    However, after taking it to his local shop to get a “rubbing” front brake sorted, he was told he’s bent the axle and fork dropouts due to the front rotor being so big.
    Do you reckon On One will help him out, as it must be a design/spec issue, not manufacturing (it’ll be out of warranty now)?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I can’t see how both things can be damaged by too large a rotor. What size brakes are on this?

Stoner
    Free Member

only if rockshox claim that their revs arent spec’d to cope with avid BB7s and 203mm rotors which I think was what they speccd the earlier 456s with (at least they did on Mrs S)

And I cant see how you would bend an axle with a rotor.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

No idea, I’ve never heard of that happening before!

What forks/brakes?

Unless it’s the ridgid forks then it’s not On-one’s issue out of warrenty (subject to it being reasnoble etc etc etc etc) and you’ll have to take it up with the manufacturer/importer.

theflatboy
    Free Member

probably an idea to take it to another, trustworthy bike shop for a second opinion. sounds pretty unlikely!

steve_b77
    Free Member

If they are supsension forks how on earth do you bend cast magnesium alloy?

bigrich

check they’re not trying to rip off a noob.

define ‘rubbing’? does it go ’tish, tish, tish’? then its a bent rotor.

TheFlyingOx

Does his local shop begin with an “H”?

JamieMc
    Free Member

Sounds like a load of crap to me. Cant imagine you could bend the dropouts and axle just by running a specific size of rotor. Depends on the fork i guess but most forks are rated to take a 203mm rotor. Sure he hasnt had an off or something to cause the damage. Id take it to another bike shop for a second opinion. Saying that i managed to twist the lowers on my SIDs but thats my fault for hashing them on a pump track…

Saccades
    Free Member

I’ve had 8″ rotors on my 456 for 3-4 years now with no bother.

Sounds like the shop is pulling a fast one – along the lines of your halogen fluid needs replacing in your headlights.

stumpy01

How the hell do you bend an axle or a fork drop out with too big a rotor?

I smell BS……

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

sounds like the front QR has not been tight enough and causing excessive flex. They might be attributing this to high braking forces. At the end of the day, if the axle and dropouts are buggered then then need replaced. If you’re in any doubt, get a second opinion.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I want his brakes! If they can bend axles and dropouts, they MUST be mega powerful!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

So, it looks like it was an incorrectly tightned qr. Let the axle move in the dropout which has worn it down to the point where the wheel doesn’t sit tru in the dropouts any more, hence the rotor rubbing as its not aligned properly.
    New forks, and probably new wheel time…

theflatboy
    Free Member

blimey, just goes to show.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

That’s what I think from an internet diagnosis! would be easy enough to tell by having a look at the dropouts. Axle might be replaceable, depends on the hub.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

i think if he gets new forks, he’d like to go bolt-thru, so it would be a new wheel.
    Local shop have quoted about £1000 for forks and wheels!!!

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Bargain 🙄

bigyinn
    Free Member

Your mate needs to find another shop!

nickf
    Free Member

Local shop have quoted about £1000 for forks and wheels!!!

You can get an entire new 456 for that.

Back in the real world, a coil Pike and a 20mm front wheel from the classifieds will cost him £350-400 for excellent kit.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘too-big brake rotors…’ is closed to new replies.