• This topic has 41 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by fossy.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Toilet seats are all crap
  • tomaso
    Free Member

Recommend me a toilet seat that does not slip every time you sit on it and require tightening in some infernal never ending pissy wrestle.

funkmasterp

They’re all utter bastards in my experience. I thought the latest one was a winner, but now all the bloody pads are starting to drop off and it’s developing a wobble.

damascus
    Free Member

I totally agree. When I moved into my house I bought 2 new ones from b&q. 1 broke nearly straight away, I fixed it but it was never the same. </span>

The other one I used sugru to add an extra bit at the front for it to sit on so it didn’t wobble so it had 5 points of contact. Surprisingly, this has worked well.

I bought a new seat from IKEA with a slow close. Around £15. It’s been excellent so far.

dozofoz
    Free Member

Worst. DIY. Job. Ever.

To think of the things humanity has achieved and we  still can’t design a plastic device to sit on circular porcelain bowl ffs.

My piss is boiling just thinking about time wasted repairing/replacing the barsteds.

MoreCashThanDash

Not just me then!

I feel a weight has been lifted from my shoulders…

superdan

I feel a weight has been lifted from my shoulders…

You might be doing it wrong.

CountZero

Just buy a decent quality wooden one with good solid fixings, brass or stainless steel, and make sure it’s fitted properly. Been using the same wood loo seat for what must be well over twenty years, had no problems with it.

Nice and warm to sit on, too. No way I’d have some nasty plastic jobby…

rone

+2 at least

welshfarmer

18 years my wooden IKEA seat has been in active service here and has never been tweaked since the day it was installed. Maybe you are a bit too active while using the things? 🙂

piemonster

We have something similar to this. As far as I can tell it’s been in since the last major refurb (painting, flooring, appliances aside) since 1936.

Thats a lot of history.

allthegear
    Free Member

You know that carbon fitting paste you have for your fancy bike? Works a treat when fitting toilet seats. Never slipped once…

rachel

colp

All the advice above should give you something to go on.

squirrelking
    Free Member

<p>Bought a wodden seat from B&Q 10 years ago, still not moved.</p><p></p>

tthew

The ones that have just a big ‘eff off bolt through the pan with a penny washer are rubbish. Look for one with a sleeve and expansion fitting, they stay put once installed.

matt_outandabout

Don’t buy from DIY barns – go find your local plumbers merchant and ask for a recommendation. I use Grahams, and they are brilliant and helpful with amateur like me. They also know they’re stuff – and will tell you what’s good.

Superficial
    Free Member

https://www.screwfix.com/p/cooke-lewis-soft-close-with-quick-release-toilet-seat-duraplast-white/2401k

Super boring but I just bought a couple of these and was pleasantly surprised. Inexpensive, very easy to install and seem sturdy far. I’ve only had them a month or so, so I wouldn’t like to comment on longevity.

globalti
    Free Member

Just buy a quality WC pan with a seat that’s designed to fit it properly. There’s only one name in this case: Laufen.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I find the ‘trick’ is to clean the contact area (obvs) and then give it a spray with IPA, (not Indian Pale Ale Hipsters!) so it’s absolutely dry and clean. Hey presto no slip, even with the cheapest £10 IKEA seat.

Moe

My wife chose a toilet pan and cistern for our bathroom that needs to be dismantled to be able to fit or adjust the seat!!!

tomaso
    Free Member

Well at least I now know what I am doing this morning. Off to plumbers merchants for a bog seat with expanding fittings, or a wooden one, or a 1936 toilet system with cast iron legs or a Swiss toilet.

funkmasterp

Get the old school one with cast iron legs. It looks like something a king would poo on

ji
    Free Member

Also look for top fitting models – much easier than trying to get your hand up from the bottom (oooh err).

Part of our problem was a toilet tight in a corner, so people tended to sit down slightly at an angle and twist the fittings. You can get fittings that sit under the bottom seat and wrap round the porcelain – think they are intended for disabled toilets – that stop the seat twisting.

jamj1974

All the advice above should give you something to go on.

Good work!😂

nixie

Expansion bolts are also shite. Surprised that the bowls aren’t keyed in some way!

tomaso
    Free Member

I can confirm Satan is alive and well and working in a design office engineering toilet seat fixings of pure devilment.

New seat bought from Wolsey plumb centre. Under mount fittings that even with hands the size of an ape I can not get tight enough to stop it twisting under my ape sized butt. Need to find some tool that can grip the nuts underneath and torque them up.

In Japan they have fully automated heated multi functional toilet seats. I bet they don’t ****!n twist on the poxy fittings.

beinbhan

Get rid of normal toilet and put a squat one in no seat to piss you off.

matt_outandabout

Under mount fittings that even with hands the size of an ape I can not get tight enough to stop it twisting under my ape sized butt

Ok, so let’s sort this:

– square or hexagonal mounting holes in pan.

– fixings like Gripfast or Gripit that are mounted from top, tightened from top by small spanner or hex key

– carbon 29″ option for Hugh Jass

doris5000

i fitted a bog seat upstairs.  I got it slightly wrong, so you have to hold the seat up while you’re taking a pee, and have been half-heartedly getting around to fixing it ever since.

It has NEVER ONCE slipped or come loose.  The one downstairs lasts about 12 seconds between re-seating (honk) and re-tightening

joelowden

Still looking for a decent one….. £85 from John Lewis doesn’t seem to be it either…..🙄🙄

MarinNo8
    Free Member

My Japanese buddy brought back some self adhesive toilet seat covers which I have on my throne in the unheated part of the house. Nice and cosy botty whatever the weather!

toby1

We must be of an age. I have this exact problem. Bought a replacement to resolve a knackered slow close. New seat doesn’t align with the rear feet, so it just slips and slides on it’s useless plastic fixings. I want to burn it, but then I’d have no seat to sit on!

colp

Still looking for a decent one….. £85 from John Lewis doesn’t seem to be it.

That’s obviously not a bog standard one.

ransos
    Free Member

I need two toilet seats: has anyone seen a BOGOF?

joelowden

🤣🤣

BillMC

£85? That’s a bum deal

epicyclo

I knew there were big hitters in STW, but now I also have learned there’s some big *******ers. 🙂

colp

£85? That’s a bum deal

Too right mate, you’d have to be pretty flush to spend that.

joelowden

I just fed up spending £20 on a seat that didn’t last any length of time…..The £85 one is comfy😁😁

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Toilet seats are all crap’ is closed to new replies.