Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • TOB Stage 8 – where are you watching from?
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Phew gee!! Yes it was those guys. I saw the shaven headed one at the Olympic practice day at base of Box Hill. Looks very, very fit (and tanned!). Nice mix of roadies and mtb-ers today, so nice to oggle at good bikes of both variety!

deadkenny
    Free Member

njee20 – Member
    Really? It’s what it’s called, Winterfold is just the area, not the road. There are numerous climbs up to Winterfold. It’s also known as Horseblock Hollow. I’ve never heard it called Winterfold hill!

Bit like Alderbrook Road (which I understand they went down) is actually not called Fly Tipper strangely! 😉

Anyway, watched it from my front door.

brakes
    Free Member

it was fun riding up Leith Hill Road as the crowds had begun to form – nothing like an audience to make you try hard but not look like you’re trying hard.
    we even got some applause!

souldrummer
    Free Member

I have to say that the variety of people up there today to watch the race was reaaly good to see. I hope we, as a polulation, can retain that sense of togetherness in the future.

mudshark
    Free Member

I was by Shere then raced over to the other side of Burpham but road over to Staple Lance where I bumped into an 8 year old who jumped in front of me…then over to Barhatch (we call it Horseblock Holloe too) where I was on the top bend. Just as we were waiting for the riders a cheer went up and round the bend rode a tubby member of my club – SWRC; anyone else see him? Did he ride all the way up?

njee20
    Free Member

Bit like Alderbrook Road (which I understand they went down) is actually not called Fly Tipper strangely!

Indeed, and I’ve always referred to it as such 🙂

One of the riders had a massive crash on the tight right hander on the way back down to Rowly – Nick will know it as “Sam’s cornering practice bend”. Ambulance down there, stretcher, the works. We popped out at the bottom of Charlie Bronson and ended up right in the middle of it.

Yes, it was Wouter Sybrandy, shame, he’s a local rider, would have known the descent!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

😉 I guess Fly Tipper is aimed at me!!! Just used that as this is a MTB forum and that name would be more easily recognised than he road name!!!

Lots of “local” Wyndy Milla bikes too!!!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Edit double post

theotherjonv

I have to say that the variety of people up there today to watch the race was reaaly good to see. I hope we, as a polulation, can retain that sense of togetherness in the future.

I was impressed by numbers, which was also commented on by some of riders, the coverage, etc., and hope that this year has marked the start of an interest in cycling.

I’m sure I read somewhere that Surrey was thinking of bidding for a Tour de France stage at some point, based on the success of the Olympic RR. Hopefully today would also support that desire and convince the people that need convincing that we could put on a show that would do the riders and the sponsors proud.

njee20
    Free Member

I actually was surprised more people weren’t out. Other than a few ‘key’ places it wasn’t that busy, even on Barhatch, once you got 100 yards from the summit it was pretty empty.

brakes
    Free Member

lots of people over an 80 mile course though I guess. I expect Wiggo might have brought more out.

theotherjonv

they were all in Guildford!!

njee20
    Free Member

Yes I did hear it was very busy there! The GF was there at 11, and said there was already a good crowd massing!

spacemonkey

Glad to hear everyone had a grand day out.

So much for my

No excuses seeing as there are trails thrown in for free.

quote last night: Sad turn of circumstances this morning meant I could only make it to the Priory kick-off followed by a quick XC blap to see them again on the approach to Leigh.

Decent turnout overall I thought. I’d like to think this type of ‘show’ encourages people to not only get out on their bikes but to also be more aware of us on the roads when in their metal boxes. Methinks not though.

sputnik
    Free Member

The ToB is a bit meh in my opinion. Lack of proper mountain climbs is key to the lack of va va voom .

deadkenny
    Free Member

njee20 – Member
    I actually was surprised more people weren’t out. Other than a few ‘key’ places it wasn’t that busy, even on Barhatch, once you got 100 yards from the summit it was pretty empty.

There were maybe a dozen along my road, and half of them probably just popped out the door wondering what the noise was from the police bikes.

Would like to thank ITV4 of course for utterly failing to recognise any stretch of the course existed between Guildford and Surrey Hills. Even with a camera they failed to show anything, live or in highlights.

Nobby

jambalaya
    Free Member

deadkenny
    Would like to thank ITV4 of course for utterly failing to recognise any stretch of the course existed between Guildford and Surrey Hills. Even with a camera they failed to show anything, live or in highlights.

That was most bizarre. We watched the first lap through Guildford then nipped back home to find nothing on TV for 1.5hrs. There was a big screen on the High Street but I don’t know if it was showing anything during that period.

njee20
    Free Member

Yes it was a bit odd – I set Sky+ to record, having seen the Tour of Britain at about 11, thinking it would be the live show, and it was a repeat of the stage 7 highlights, couldn’t believe the live stuff didn’t start until 2:30.

The live stuff also missed things like Wouter Sybrandy’s crash, that was only in the highlights.

dharmstrong
    Free Member

DSC_5960.jpg by DHA987S, on Flickr

Cav in his last day as World Champ going by my front door

HTTP404
    Free Member

And Jeremy Hunt’s last race as he retires from professional cycling.
    I’ll be looking forwards to reading his book when (if) it happens.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

dharmstrong – thanks for that. Its a relief to see that lycra is not that flattering for pro riders either!!

mattjg
    Free Member

Dorking High St, then top of the Leith Hill just past the KOM finish line. We nipped back up to the Tower sharpish and got tea and cake before the hordes arrived. And did anyone notice how clear the atmosphere was yesterday?

Didn’t see any camera bikes or the heli at Dorking. When did TV coverage start? Did they miss “my” bit.

Best moment was standing my 18 month old daughter on the litter bin outside NatWest so she could see. That’ll forever be known as the dustbin of honour.

Let’s shut the roads and do it more often.

jambalaya
    Free Member

TV programme started at 2:30, coverage probably 5-10 mins later.I think they were about 20 mins behind the schedule as they came up Guildford High St first time about 1:30-ish. From memory the TV coverage picked them up just short of Cranleigh the first time and certainly got all of the Barhatch KOM climb.

Stage 8 route/timings

SkillWill
    Free Member

Going past the end of my road. I was a marshall in Priory Park trying to keep the crowds out of the Sky enclave. Enjoyed it. Few pics

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

They were comfortably behind the predicted timings (approx 30m) from very early on. Did they start late? From memory, it was around or after 15:00 when they reached W’fold, sorry Barhatch Lane. Lulled us into false sense of security on the way back to see them at Wonersh though 😳

njee20
    Free Member

The SO said it started late, dunno why.

SkillWill
    Free Member

I was told they were late leaving as there was a problem with Police radios. I reckon 15 mins.

dharmstrong
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – yeah makes me feel better about a slight belly as well!

mattjg
    Free Member

Starveall corner, this tickled me. Not sure what the Wyndy Milla thing is all about but there were loads of them in pink and blue. A bit suspect if you ask me, one guy even had shoe covers.

mattjg
    Free Member

ps the highlights show had the rollout from Reigate, Brockham green, the Cock Roundabout and Dorking High Street sprint.

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘TOB Stage 8 – where are you watching from?’ is closed to new replies.