Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • To buy or not to buy – Lapierre Zesty 714 (2012)
  • moonbase110
    Free Member

I am looking for a new trail bike that can handle technical descents and be hard hit without crumbling.
    The zesty seems like a good choice, but I am undecided as £3.6K. Like the weight, but unsure what else is out there.
    Has been 8 years since my last severe purchase so don’t want to make a mistake; can get out on a ride, but lets face it you need several rides before getting a real feel.
    Advice much saught after

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Have 2010 model – would buy the same tomorrow. Very happy with it and its been all over europe nothing it cant handle. Weight is one factor but geometry is more important and how it rides as a package. I feel its pretty sorted. I have added haven bar, 55mm stem and reverb. Can I add try before you buy or else you are just buying in the dark on opinion. I see so many come on and ask which bike and dont spend the time to try demos. You can demo a bike for £40 – £50 and its money well spent.

My Bucket List:
    Mach carbon 5.7
    Carbine
    Trek Remedy
    Spicy

But the will have to go some to stop me jsut buying another Zesty 🙂

Rorschach
    Free Member

Built a 914 and a 514 last week.Both tubeless and with reverbs and they came out at 28lb and 30.5lb.Not super light by any means.

steezysix
    Free Member

Look at the YT Wicked 150 if the Zesty is out of your budget – similar suspension layout, angles and design, but around £1500 with really good spec. I’m very happy with mine, I also looked at the Zesty but couldn’t justify the extra cost.

RoterStern
    Free Member

They were my objects of desire for quite some time fro me but my LBS have stopped stocking them as they have had no end of frames breaking (rear triangle) and the warranty service being pretty shocking.

matthew_h
    Free Member

Hateful push fit bottom brackets is a deal breaker for me.

I’d be looking at a Santa Cruz Butcher instead

o96192083
    Free Member

Built a 914 and a 514 last week.Both tubeless and with reverbs and they came out at 28lb and 30.5lb.Not super light by any means.

I question what your builds were, I run a 314 with a command post, comes in at a shave over 30lb …

Rorschach
    Free Member

2012 medium zesty’s stock apart from reverbs and hope hoops (one crests,one flows)and V8’s, weighed on park digital scales.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I should have mention that my views on a 714 were only based on owning one for two years 😉

timmys

I love my 2009 514, the push-fit BB is a bit of a hassle but when the standard one goes buy a decent one and a couple of tools and you’re sorted. I’d wouldn’t hesitate to have another Zesty but given the luxury of your budget, as well as a carbon Zesty, I’d want to ride a Transition Bandit, Yeti SB-66 and Ibis Mojo before finally making my mind up.

superfli
    Free Member

YT Industries Wicked 150
    On paper for that money, its a no brainer! Bargain

jonke
    Free Member

You can still get 2011 714;s for 2.6k.

xcentric
    Free Member

Close to the same position myself a few months ago- liked the new zesty in more carbon Han the previous one, but the previous one v good too. Would have been my new bike choice, but I also kept an eye out for ex demo and s/h bikes and collected a mojo for £2k. There’s a couple of pivots for a couple of grand off in the classifieds at just over £2k each, which would probably get my vote (just) ahead of the zesty. Bt it’s a pretty bike, and seems reliable and has rave reviews from both magazines and owners and occasional riders.

moonbase110
    Free Member

Thanks all for the feeedback. Will have to inspect things a bit more before making a decision :O) 😆

cheers_drive

matthew_h – Member
    Hateful push fit bottom brackets is a deal breaker for me.

Really so if you found your perfect bike apart from you didn’t like how the BB fitted you wouldn’t buy one?!
    Yes they aren’t as easy to fit and remove without the tools but they last just as long (on average 1 year for me)

maxtorque

Here’s my 2012 714

The Geo changes for 2012 have really hit the spot imo, a nice blend of stability but now easier to move the bike around (manuals etc).

Th only negatives are that (in line with a lot of 2012 bikes) the components have taken a bit of a hit, and imo don’t really match the price tag. But that is easily fixed with a bit of upgradeitus when they wear out

Mine now has XTR cassetter, XTR pedals, XTR shifters, Reverb dropper and Easton carbon bars. Without the mud guards fitted, i weighed it at 11.2 kg (24.7lb) on 2x nobby nics.

No, it ain’t a cheap bike, but in the 3 months i’ve had mine i can’t think of anything else any cheaper that would be as good 😉

moonbase110
    Free Member

Thanks MAXTORQUE; getting down to 11.2KG sounds like a good move. Understand about the specs possibly being better, bt on those I have cross checked they seem reasonablish for the cost and many of the bikes with a slightly better spec (minus frame) are heavier. So I suppoe its weight over spec?
    Like yoou say weight can be shaved off and quality enhanced as you upgrade.
    How has yoour headset been? I have heard some bad reports and was thinking of negotiating the supplier to replace with hope.
    Also have you hit the trails hard and felt as though it can handle the harder stuff?
    Cheers

steezysix
    Free Member

Also have you hit the trails hard and felt as though it can handle the harder stuff?

Pretty sure that Nico Vouilloz finished top three in the Mega on a Zesty – it can probably handle it! 🙂

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘To buy or not to buy – Lapierre Zesty 714 (2012)’ is closed to new replies.