Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 192 total)
  • Tjs recovery ride: advice, routes, rides n beer
  • tjagain

I can do photos. Are the not showing?
    The ben with its head in the clouds

Generic view

scotroutes

Working for me.

mert
    Free Member

Shame you aren’t heading north when you hit the mainland, there appears to be a handful of us round and about in Scandinavia too.

molgrips
    Free Member

But only after we’ve solved the phone recharging issue

Which relies on my dodgy maths.

tjagain

A little soul bearing then.

The last year has been a struggle and morivation is hard to find. This trip is in many ways a teast run for me. I have never camped on my own before now. I need to find out if I can cope with touring on my own. I need to get off my arse. I have pushed myself fairly hard with 4000m ish of climbing in the first week.

Over the last few days i can feel a real uplift in my mood. The kindness of folk and the exercise seems to help. My troubles are not constantly in the forefront of my mind any longer.

I am feeling positve about touring for longer now and the idea of riding to the Mediterranean seems feasble.

Shite weather tho. Bollox

tjagain

Glencoe it is today but on the road not the devils staircase

Looks like a full waterproofs all day sort of day

molgrips
    Free Member

I feel the same way about doing outdoor stuff. When I’m out in the hills or riding, that’s all I focus on – the ride, the walk, where to camp, what to do the next day, what I need to get, what I need to adjust etc. I don’t think about any other life issues, I really do leave it all behind.

I hope you can keep it up. One reason we’re interested is that the long distance tour is a dream so many of us have.

iainc

tj – an inspiring thread, please do keep it going ! Pictures are good too !

scotroutes
    tjagain

Effing scary enough with inexperienced drivers in hired vans

tjagain

Murky Glencoe

Road then whw was the right call. Devils staircase can wait for another day

molgrips
    Free Member

Nice, doesn’t look too busy.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Missed your original post TJ, gutted for you and hope you’re doing alright. If you’re passing through the Alps on your way south, hit us up for any help / advice we can offer. Your brake pads will only last one day though.

ElShalimo

@tjagain – like many on here, I’m following you with great interest and enjoying it (without getting soaked and knackered).

keep up the good work !

squirrelking
    Free Member

@tjagain what are your plans for the next couple of days? I’m off and not due back into work until Friday evening.

Mowgli
    Free Member

Do you have a plan for Ireland yet? Mrs Mowgli and I are going from Belfast > Giants Causeway and then around the coast to Limerick over about 2 weeks starting on Monday. I’ll look out for your flag!

alpin
    Free Member

Jealous!

Seeing your Bob trailer reminds me of riding London – Munich with mine in tow back in 2003…

Guessing/hoping to leave Munich soon and don’t think it’s on your route. However, if I see you out on the roads of Europe I’ll stop and say hello!

tjagain

Squirrlking

Hopfully bridge of orchy or tyndrm tonigh then crianlachic killin glen ogle next couple of days

squirrelking
    Free Member

Still a fair bit away then, probably be my week off before you get close!

big_scot_nanny

TJ, after Killin/Glen Ogle, are you heading towards Stirling area?

tjagain

Who knows? Plans are vague at best

Sustenance at the bridge of Orchy hotel. Much needed on a grim day but Telford s parliamentary road was as good as ever

matt_outandabout

Dude, if you come anywhere near Stirling, give us a shout. A whole team rideout could be organised with the number of forumites locally…

And it is a shite day for weather – I hope this wind is at your back.

tjagain

It has been fortunately.

tjagain

I mustbe getting soft. Under 40 miles todsy and only 1700 foot of climb. Less than half the miles offroad but got myself a hobbit hut in Tyndrum for the night. I lost my flag today boooooo

tjagain

Decision made. Weather has been shite. Im tired and my kit all stinks so I am going to go home for a bit before leg 2

It will ake 3 or 4 days. Im in Tyndrm.

Gentle pootle diwn to the trossachs and tben home

Ill update as it would be fun to meet the stirling posse

The west coasters can beathe breathe safely. It will be a week or two before i am over that way

Houns

Not tempted for a last minute entry in the HT550??!

tjagain

Nope. They might find my pace a little slow

I have done chunks of it already

tjagain

I am buckled. Strathyre tonight. Callender then probably head stirling way especially if anyone knows a decent route from callender.

Lunch in callander anyone?

ElShalimo

Have you been here?

https://deliecosse.co.uk/

It was great pre-Covid but not been since

big_scot_nanny

Keep going fella, almost done the first bit!

Does that mean Stirling on Saturday TJ? No idea about Callander lunch spots, and only know taht the main road from Callendar-Stirling is a bad idea on a bike. Not sure of routes, but someone must know, there’s stacks of gravel. I know a quite way back once you get to Doune though.

duncancallum

Superb mate. Absolutely superb

tjagain

Im heading for stirling tomorrow which i think is friday and getting a lift back home from there cos i am buckled

tartanscarf

Mhor Fish is good for fish and chips in Callander. Mhor Bread does great pie and cakes, might still be takeaway only though. Enjoy!

Ambrose

Good going fellah!

Greetings from Wales Tj! If you decide to head down to visit molgrips you are more than welcome to come and visit/ stay here with us. We are near to Ammanford, right at the western end of the Beacons.

tjagain

Home! Bikepawl kindly picked me up in Stirling and took a broken old man home.

Where do I go next? confuzzeled

ElShalimo

rest, recuperate, get everything dry and fettled

make a list of what worked well and what didn’t

Start planning the Europe trip.

😎

tjagain

🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Rest, refine kit, ride somewhere else in the UK for a bit longer.

TBH an extended tour requires a lot of technique, and it’s not something you can be told by other people – you have to figure out what’ll work for you and the only way to do that is to do smaller trips. You solve each problem as it turns up and that becomes your style.

tjagain

Its not my first rodeo. Ive been refining this for years

Kit list

Its molgrips fault. He thought you would be interested.

*some weights may not be exact* can’t be arsed weighing everything I have in the past

Im an old man. I need my comfort. This is what I took north but I also took more than I would for just two weeks as its a trial run. Everything is geared for an indefinite trip

Tent – trekkertent stealth 1.5 with mesh inner. 950 g inc pegs
    for going south I think I’ll take the Drift 2 which adds 300 g
    Foam underlay. Some kind of underlay is essential 350 g (lightest material one I can get it 150g IIRC)

Sleeping bag with silk liner inc bag and compression strap 1kg. Its rated to below zero barely enough at times.
    Pillow 60 g

mattress – 600 g ( temporary one – lighter one on its way)

Kitchen.
    Now this will be controversial but I have tried many ways over many years but the speed and convenience is worth the imo small weight penalty

Jetboil zip. 700G? Inc one can of gas flint and cafetière attachment
    Second jetboil pan – a bigger wider one 400 g iirc. This includes lids that double as plates /bowls
    Its economical. I was using 25 g of gas a day for 2 or 3 cups of coffee and a pasta dinner
    Its so bloody convenient. Nothing needs to be handled carefully, you can leave stuff to cook without it falling over and stuff stays warm I can get my first cup in the morning within 2 mins of waking without getting up and the put stays warm

For an indefinite trip I need to be able to cook normal food and a healthy balanced diet

Cup – pint enamel mug with clip on lid,. Again I have tried everything available. Nothing else is anything like is nice to drink from. Beer, coffee whisky
    Litre sigg bottle for whisky
    Swiss army knife
    50ml biodegradable washing up liquid
    100 ml olive oil oil (refills is the issue here – you cant rarely buy a smaller bottle)
    2 x100g gas cans spare and refill gadget. 450 g total
    Drybag that holds a bag of ground coffee
    Half a green pan scourer
    TI spork
    Folding spatula
    2 litre water carrier ( 150g)

Shitshovel, bog paper and hand sanitiser

Chair! ( 200g)

Personal kit:
    Phone,
    Kindle, spare emergency phone both in protective sleeves of closed cell foam, headtorch midge hood, toothbrush, nail clippers, toothpaste (25 g tube) sunscreen ( not bloody needed this trip) shaving brush( handle removed 🙂 ), one disposable razor, reading glasses ( bah!) ¼ bar of soap, microfibre flannel, microfibre towel, usb charger, powerbank, 2 leads, smidge, moskito coils (¼ pack) camp sandals ( very!) 400g. (I ride in SPDs) compass whistle

clothes (includes what I was wearing)
    3x base layer / cycling shorts / socks
    goretex socks ( wont take them south)
    long johns
    2xpair of pants
    fleece
    light insulated jacket
    jumper(dunno why I took this really – smart for pubs? Who cares?)
    shorts
    softshell trousers
    softshell riding jacket
    Liner gloves (wont go south)
    riding gloves
    Sunglasses
    Waterproofs ( almost a kilo of robust ones – I’ll take lighter south)

Bike stuff
    pump
    small pliers ( didnae want to take them but had to because of the tubeless valves )
    Multitool
    spare tube and trailer tube
    puncture kit
    m5 and m6 nut and bolt with washers
    6 cable ties
    4 chain links 2 quick links
    gaffer tape and tenacious tape
    ( Ill get a seal kit as well just in case)
    Spare qr and pin for trailer
    tire gauge ( just a few g but again not going south)
    Padlock and cable 700 g( just weighed it!)
    Bungy net

Loads of the lightest drybags I can find to put stuff in including 2 for food

Thats it I think
    The trailer bag and contents minus phone, left over food, clothes I was wearing, sunnies and gloves but including some mud andwater 🙂 weigh 13 kilos which I think is not bad at all for all that

trailer is a 5 kg weight penalty but thats a different arguement

Do your worst!

tjagain

Remembered after the 15 mins

first aid kit inc a decent range of dressings painkillers and a little tub of suedocrem
    Buff
    small tube seamsealer in the repair kit

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 192 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.