Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Tiny Desk
  • cheese@4p

Been Enjoying Tiny Desk concerts on You Tube for the last couple of evenings. What a great way to enjoy live music up close and personal. I really enjoyed these:
    The Roots feat Bilal
    Wu Tang Clan
    Rakim
    Booker T Jones
    DakhaBrakha

What you got?

simondbarnes

Yeah, they are great. Watched Idles earlier

kayak23

I really liked the Superorganism one.

rOcKeTdOg

i loved Taylor Swift’s session, just her and an acoustic guitar. Girl can sing!

DougD

Anderson Paak

Mac Miller (esp “What’s the use” ft. Thunder at)

paulneenan76
    Free Member

I love superorganism. Thanks for this.

rossburton
    Free Member

So many good ones. Erykah Badu is just fantastic. Hobo Johnson and the LoveMakers was an absolute riot, so much energy.

funkmasterp

Sturgill Simpson is a good one. The guy has a great voice and is a very talented guitar player

stevious

Tyler the Creator’s is superb:

malv173
    Free Member

Only came across Chika via Tiny Desk. She’s ridiculously good. Seemingly effortless flow:

malv173
    Free Member

That Idles session is amazing too!

malv173
    Free Member

There’s a fair bit of slating of the sax player in the comments (unjust, IMO), but Big Daddy Kane is on top form:

malv173
    Free Member

Oh, I could be here all night! I totally love Tiny Desk! I love how the performer’s personalities really come to the fore. OP, if you like Wu, then it’s really got to be GZA next:

gecko76

cheese@4p

Thanks all, so much to go at

malv173
    Free Member

Run the Jewels is one possibly the one I’ve watched the most. It’s incredible!

malv173
    Free Member

I’m going to have to go to bed! I’ll be back tomorrow with more!

kayak23

Lizzo is pretty fun.

malv173
    Free Member

What a voice Lizzo has. And not too shabby a flautist, either.

Beyond hip-hop (I will be linking more in a bit!), there are so many other great performances. Sylvan Esso, who also have a Tiny Desk home concert:

malv173
    Free Member

Daughter’s is particularly worth a listen. Elena Tonra’s voice is absolutely magnificent.

onewheelgood

One of the best things about Tiny Desk is the variety. So I’ll offer these two, in a somewhat different genres compared to most of the above.

malv173
    Free Member

This one by Courtney Barnett and Kurt Vile is in contention for the one I’ve watched the most, alongside Run the Jewels. It’s lovely, and the chemistry between them is brilliant. They come across as really nice people. Both of their individual Tiny Desk concerts are very good.

malv173
    Free Member

From way out in left field – Blue Man Group. I’d heard of them, but not really heard them. They put on a pretty impressive set:

DezB
    Free Member

I think this is the only one I’ve ever watched. Didn’t realise there were so many!

nedrapier

Love Idles and Superorganism, but the contrast going from Idles straight to SO in the same setting is brilliant.

hatter

There’s something inherently amusing about the massive bands with loads of members jammed in there, watched most of Snarky Puppy’s set without realising there was a whole extra drummer hidden away at the back.

Mother Falcon are another contender for the ‘performing in each other’s laps’ award. It’s a minor miracle there wasn’t a bassoon-related concussion incident during this recording.

DezB
    Free Member

Ooh theres a Th1Rt33n (Pharaohe Monch) 🙂

Sound quality, so good, especially the drums!

corroded
    Free Member

Say what you like about them, but Coldplay’s Tiny Desk with a gospel choir has been very uplifting recently.
    Sharon van Etten’s most recent set is also pretty epic.

DezB
    Free Member

So many 100s of videos to watch before I click on Coldplay. Sometime in 2033 maybe :’-)

corroded
    Free Member

Go on DezB, do something crazy! Let yourself go!

rossburton
    Free Member

This might be useful to someone else: I just discovered that NPR have a Tiny Desk podcast with the audio, which means you can play on a phone without Youtube pausing if you put the app in the background.

leffeboy

Tiny Desk really is good isn’t it.  There is something super friendly about the environment

johnx2
    Free Member

All my faves been posted! Mac Miller (what’s the use is maybe the best bit of the internet), Kurt Vile and Courtney Barnett, Tyler, Anderson Paak. Haven’t made it to Coldplay yet, or Sting and Shaggy Perhaps I never will? This is good:

and some of the ‘home’ ones are ok

lister

Bob

Taylor

huck2flat
    Free Member

St Paul and the Broken Bones one is worth a watch too

beanieripper
    Free Member

Steve Gunn set is mindblowing if thats your thing..

chewkw
    Free Member

Most are noisy trying too hard to be different they really sound boring but this one sounds much better without getting the blood pressure high.

simondbarnes

Others I’ve enjoyed watching…
    Billy Corgan
    Suzanne Vega
    Pat Benatar
    Pixies
    Daniel Johnston (rip)
    Cat Stevens
    J Mascis
    Billy Bragg
    Vic Chesnutt
    The Breeders

chipsngravy
    Free Member

A personal favourite

malv173
    Free Member

@leffeboy the Sting and Shaggy one really surprised me. Gonna have to work through a few of the above at some point soon.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Tiny Desk’ is closed to new replies.