Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Time to kill in Oxford – suggestions please
  • roger_mellie

Howdy

I potentially have a few hours to kill on Saturday afternoon in Oxford, with a few mates. What I’m looking for is essentially something which prevents us simply going to the pub and getting trollied.

Was thinking about dog/ horse racing, but Google tells me the stadium is defunct?

Would prefer not to drive. The bikes will be left at home on this occasion.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks

yossarian
    Free Member

Oxford is one of the great european cities, I’d suggest a ramble round the streets and a visit to some of the colleges and sites.

cynic-al
    Free Member

A wander round the colleges, go up that old church spire.

Ashmolean is a great museum also.

Be a punt?

pondo
    crispycross
    Free Member

Pitt Rivers museum. Like a mini British Museum.

roger_mellie

Cheers all.

Being a punt comes naturally anyway 😉

eskimonumber1

Pitt Rivers museum. Like a mini British Museum.

+1 They have shrunken heads!

TiRed

Walk up the canal drink, walk back along the Thames. This also works down the Thames too crossing at the ring road. Pitt Rives and Natural History museum are always good for a visit. A single college is worthwhile, followed by a walk along Christchurch meadows and the Botanical gardens. Walk down to Beeline bikes. Coffee on Cowley Road. Shoe shopping in Duckers.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Shoe shopping in Duckers.

Hear, hear! My cobblers! 😀

mrvear
    Free Member

Definetly the shruken heads! there is also armour made out of fish.

noteeth
    Free Member

The Pitt Rivers Museum – I love that place.

maxtorque

Pitts Rivers is great, proper old skool “look in the drawers” kinda place 😉

Also, you could go see the shark:

😉

Scapegoat

If you want a picturesque college to visit, try Magdalen. It has formal gardens, Adison’s walk ( a circular walk round effectively a river island) a deerpark, and the most beautiful of all the college chapels. Catch evensong there and be transported to a different world entirely. You don’t have to be religious to enjoy one of the best college choirs out there.

Kahurangi

The Shark is in Headington – a decent walk through residential areas from the city centre.

Oxford University Museum
    Pitt Rivers’ Collection (access through the OUM)
    Wander in to some colleges
    Go in to the Bodleian (even if you can’t go inside and can go no further than the main open quad)
    Wander round the Radcliffe Camera and the lanes around Jesus College and Brasenose Lane
    then work your way down through the back gates of Christchurch College and on to Christchurch Meadow, then follow the river back to the Head of the River.
    There’s also the Univerity Botanic Gardens, the University Park and Punting!

Then explore the hundred amazing pubs Oxford has to offer. Start with the tourist hotspots of the HotR, the King’s Arms, the Eagle and Child (aka the Bird and Baby) then my old haunt of the Lamb and Flag and then the 3 Goats Heads.

100 bonus points if you can find the Turf Tavern without cheating.

Scapegoat

Lamb and Flag was our sixth form pub of choice, fantastic place! I remember Mayday at the Turf, bit of a squeeze up the side……

Markie
    Free Member

If you’re in the Ashmolean, keep an eye out for a huge tapestry with a plexiglass protective screen. Ms Markie (when aged 3) got her head stuck twixt the two…

lilchris
    Free Member

Sounds like a Steven Seagal movie.

Sorry, but I have nothing to add.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Covered market, pick up something interesting to eat.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Time to kill in Oxford – suggestions please’ is closed to new replies.