• This topic has 74 replies, 64 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by ontor.
Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • Time for a 'favourite bird' thread
  • alexxx
    Free Member

Ninfan – I was going to respond to that, then I made the mistake of performing a google image search for Tetrao tetrix by its common name…

You’re clearly not self employed then?

[video]https://youtu.be/co_DNpTMKXk[/video]

vickypea
    Free Member

I love owls, we have a few tawny owls living near us, and it’s great hearing them hooting at night. Also I like grouse as I see them often on MTB rides.
    I was also taken with ptarmigans when I watched a TV programme about Svalbard, I liked the way they strut around on their short feathery legs!

tlr

I’m a bit of a fan of hummingbirds following a recent holiday, so I now have another 338 species to see and photograph!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/PtJ9ow]IMG_9939 Antillean Crested Hummingbird[/url] by Tim Russon, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/PtJ9Ss]IMG_9801 Green Throated Carib[/url] by Tim Russon, on Flickr

Closer to home I’ve always enjoyed the busy little Long Tailed Tits and Nuthatches

[url=https://flic.kr/p/K3hDf7]IMG_5831 Long Tailed Tit[/url] by Tim Russon, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/KxGj2G]IMG_5255 Nuthatch[/url] by Tim Russon, on Flickr

WillH

As a kid puffins were my favourite UK bird

And the golden eagle worldwide.

These days the morepork is on the list too. We’ve got at least one in the garden, hear them most nights but have yet to spot one (at home anyway, saw one while away camping last year)

CountZero

Love seeing the Goldies on the feeders, and I’ve always had a bit of a soft-spot for the humble sparrow, such cheeky, argumentative little birds.
    I have a particular thing for raptors, though, and corvids, just because they’re such smart, intelligent birds, and to watch a red kite cruising along a ridge, or a Raven tumbling in flight, seemingly just for the sheer thrill of flying will stop me in my tracks.
    I was watching a pair of Ravens flying over Brean Down today, making little croaking calls to each other, one of them doing tumbling wing-overs in the sunlight, just a beautiful thing to see.

bumper
    Free Member

My favourite bird, the swallow.

A sure sign that summer is coming or going. I love seeing my first spring swallow, and the end of winter and short days.

I’ve sat for ages, baking in the sun and watching flocks of these zoom inches from the ground catching flies. Also watching flocks of them gathering on the wires waiting for their flight to Namibia. A nice mid ride rest opportunity.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I’m with count, I think crows are awesome!

slowoldman

Yes, corvids are amazing. We were feeding one malt loaf and nuts on the Glyders last year. Wonderful to get so close. I love to hear the curlews up on the moors too.

carlosg
    Free Member

Really hard to choose , mrscarlos likes puffins ,I think I like either wrens cos they sing a lovely tune or goldfinches as they’re a good flash of colour in the garden.

Choice is made harder as we have so many different species visit the garden partly due I suppose to the closeness of the local wood 200m away.

Scapegoat

Little owl. Absolute favourite

corroded
    Free Member

I don’t know where to start. If I had to pick a favourite it would be the swift. Not the most spectacular looker but a perfect design for its incredible feats. Nothing says summer to me like a flock of swifts swooping over the garden. But runners up:

Australian magpie for its song:

Total badass of bird.

Superb blue fairy wren, for being tiny and very blue.

Bit of a battle between the tui

and the kea

But I’ll go for the tui because we used to have one that came into the house and checked itself out in the mirror.

Honorary mention for the yellow-tailed black cockatoo.

And finally the sparrow hawk just for being intense.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Crows someone mentioned ?

Stunning birds, idealistically independent, always on the look out.

Here’s one I snapped yesterday on a very early surf session, it felt like it was just me and him looking out to sea.. fabulous.

sweepy
    Free Member

I love the corvids above all, I like a dipper for the way they live around water.
    Managed to snap this a couple of weeks ago, wasn’t quick enough with the camera the week before when I pulled up next to one sitting on the crash barrier about five feet from my head.

I’m not generally a fan of double entendres, but I do like to slip one in occasionally

Alpha1653

The goldcrest. I remember seeing one in my garden as a child (8yo?) and being utterly amazed. I still get excited when I (rarely) see them. Strangely enough I was sat on my car at Leigh Woods in Bristol after a quick early morning ride on Friday and some movement caught my eye: not one, or two but three of them about 5 feet away. That absolutely made my day.

racefaceec90

i cannot pick just one i’m afraid but i do have a soft spot for these fellows (wood pugeons) but i like all pigeons i will add 🙂 not my picture btw.

i can see them nearly every day from my kitchen window.

globalti
    Free Member

It’s got to be the Curlew, for its evocative haunting call. When I hear it in the fields behind our house I know Summer’s coming.

BadlyWiredDog

House sparrows. Awesome little creatures, properly communal and sociable. I like puffins too, like little Pepsi cans with stubby wings.

Klunk
    Free Member

love these guys

normally stay for about 2 mins then off, can’t get rid of them today 🙂
    I also have a soft spot for Dunnocks, so busy doing there thing they almost totally oblivious to humans.

fr0sty
    Free Member

i like tits

Klunk
    Free Member

also in the garden this morning

breatheeasy
    Free Member

If you ask my daughter, her favourite bird is the Scale Crested Pygmy Tyrant, mainly for the name…

jimjam
    Free Member

I came within inches of colliding with a Golden Eagle one evening, it’s wingspan pretty much covered my truck windscreen. I took this as a form or approval from the eagle. So they would have to be up there.

Also, have a pair of big red (ish) buzzards in the forest across the road. They tend to get a bit narky when I go anywhere near them so I just leave them to it.

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

The hoopoe (having spent a lot of 2016 in Lanzarote). Love their zebra stripes and the fact that when flat their crest feathers make them look like they’re wearing a tiny pointy aero helmet.

grizedaleforest

Loving lots of these. I’ve been enjoying seeing Waxwings this year:

Bunnyhop

The tawny owl is my favorite, the photo of the baby one up there is gorgeous.
    Our garden is a wildlife haven, luckily the feeders are full of birds. They are great barometers of the weather, emptying feeders on a daily rate knowing that a chilly spell is on the way.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Kingfisher… As a bird and a beer

jimdubleyou

Naomi Cambell – nice long neck.

BillOddie

I reckon it’s a tie between Weka and Kea just for being awesome but with honorable mentions for fantails for cuteness and Vultures for just being f***** huge.

redmex
    Free Member

Waxwings thats what i saw up at Comrie croft trees full of them, i read they’re from Scandanavia that must be why the quiff looks like Mika Hakinen must use the same barber

Coyote
    Free Member

Gotta be either Long Tail Tits, Gold Finches or Red Kites

vmgscot

Skylark – hear their song and I’m a teenager all over again on one of those long summer rides exploring the ‘amphire/wiltshire chalk downlands on my Reg Harris

joshvegas
    Free Member

The tawny owl is my favorite

Come and take and take the one that lives outside my window away please.

Quite cool stepping out ths front doir to meet a tawny owl on the railings less than 2 meters away!

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Not very exotic, but it always makes my day to see one (or usually the pair) of these:

Same goes for herons.

josemctavish
    Free Member

Got loads of favourites for various memories of happy days out watching wildlife with my brother, but today I’ll say the tiny Goldcrest, since I saw one out of my office window earlier:

(Not my picture)

ontor
    Free Member

We have a breeding Goshawk pair nearby and seeing them thunder through the trees is staggering.
    Other than that there’s a tawny owl that often used to fly alongside in one bit of singletrack. I think it accompanied me 10-12 times one summer.

One of those two!

Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Time for a 'favourite bird' thread’ is closed to new replies.