Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)
  • Tim the Spaceman
  • GrahamS

UK is the 4th biggest individual contributor to the ESA

At the moment, but as I understand it we ramped up our contribution for Tim’s mission. from what Helen Sharman said, there is no ongoing commitment beyond that.

And it is still less than half of what France or Germany contribute.

2013 figures:

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201314/cmselect/cmsctech/253/25306.htm

More recent figures on Wikipedia

Launching our own rockets would be the biggest waste of investment ever, utterly pointless when you can use others.

Agreed!

dragon
    Free Member

I’d be happy if the UK upped it’s overall science budget, but I’m not sure I’d spend it on more space stuff, which outside of nice PR seems to have poor returns.

jairaj

hmm not sure about that. Sure just sending a man in space is probably not useful in itself. But there is huge eco system that is needed to send things into space. From designing components for rockets and the vessels that carry the people and cargo, design and building different kinds of satellites for commercial or scientific use. Design of electronic systems used throughout. Even the infrastructure on Earth that makes it all happen. I think these are all useful industries for the UK to be involved in. So even if we don’t spend the money on sending people into space I still think the other space stuff is well worth getting into.

GrahamS

There are two reasons to make rockets and targeting systems.

Space is the one I’d prefer to fund.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Space is the one I’d prefer to fund.

If it wasn’t for the cold war, Tim wouldn’t have got in to space. On that telly programme the other night they said his rocket was basically a ballistic missile.

theotherjonv

I’m impressed, but not all that. He’s travelled 220 miles to meet up with some colleagues, and he got a telly channel devoted to it. I’ve travelled 240 miles to meet up with some colleagues and they haven’t even offered me a cup of tea yet, let alone an interview with Brian Cox.

And I had to use the 0717 Guildford – Waterloo service, which is infinitely less comfortable and more cramped than a Soyuz capsule.

[actually I am impressed. Very. Go Major Tim!]

GrahamS

If it wasn’t for the cold war, Tim wouldn’t have got in to space.

Indeed – and probably most of that tech came from WWII, particularly the work of the German rocket scientists.

(FWIW in my career I’ve had the opportunity to work on weapons systems and refused it. If it had been space rockets, I’d have accepted in a flash).

And I had to use the 0717 Guildford – Waterloo service, which is infinitely less comfortable and more cramped than a Soyuz capsule.

And the toilets are probably worse too 😀

bikebouy
    Free Member

When you get up there, like in the ISS, you’ve traveled for a few hours then have to adopt to life up there with all it’s intricacies, how the hell do you sleep?

To they issue Sleeping Tablets or Tranquilisers?
    What if he turns mental? How would they cope then? knock him out and stick him back in the module for the rest of the duration or send him back on his own?

Just askin’

Harry_the_Spider

What if he turns mental?

I think that the selection process weeds out anyone who may not be up to it mentally. There’s probably a box to tick on the form.

The original astronauts were test pilots because they 1) Could handle the stress and 2) Had their own helmets.

Junkyard
    Free Member

To they issue Sleeping Tablets or Tranquilisers?

I suspect they have lots of medication on board but I assume eventually tiredness kicks in and they just fall asleep

What if he turns mental? How would they cope then? knock him out and stick him back in the module for the rest of the duration or send him back on his own?

I assume they have isolation procedures for all eventualities from infectious disease to psychotic madman with both of these being incredibly unlikely

GrahamS

The original astronauts were test pilots

Tim Peake graduated from the Empire Test Pilots’ School with an award for “Best Rotary Wing Pilot”.

Not sure if he has his own helmet though.

Some good background here:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/timelines/z2gxp39

jairaj

From reading Chris Hadfield’s book, apparently floating in space is the most comfortable bed you’ll ever sleep in. They have a sleeping bag to stay warm and velcro straps to stop them drifting off. They also busy pretty much the whole day, every minute is accounted for. So once your body has adapted to microgravity and you stop feeling nauseous it’s quite easy to fall asleep.

The selection process is also very rigorous and people have to made of the right stuff mentally and physically. Pure skill and ability is not enough to get you to selected. You need to be a special kind of person who is not too introverted and can work in a team but at the same time you cannot be too extroverted and go off piste. Think nice non offensive pastel colours rather than Enduro Fluro day glow.

Harry_the_Spider

If Michael Bay is to be believed* they will have a vast selection of automatic weapons should anyone go a little nuts.

As the ISS exercise bike has to be mounted in a way that it doesn’t impart a load that could damage the structure of the station I think that introducing 9mm ammunition to the mix would be on a scale of awfulness on a par with running out of loo roll or accidently opening the window.

*unlikely

theotherjonv

a scale of awfulness on a par with …… accidently opening the window.

I bet they’ve put those safety latches on so that if anyone does open one they still won’t be able to fall out.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Not sure I’d be able to cope with 6 months and only an exercise bike.

Sign me up for MTB on Mars though 😀

dragon
    Free Member

Tim Peake graduated from the Empire Test Pilots’ School with an award for “Best Rotary Wing Pilot”.

I actually thought this was one of the most depressing things about the whole story. It seems that they are still picking people based on 1950’s ideas. The whole Space Shuttle selection process was much more varied than that with civilian scientists etc.

jairaj

Its not 100% pilots that go up other civilians do get an occasional go. I don’t know for sure but it might be because the space shuttle could handle 6 people whereas the Soyuz can only hold 3 people and I think normally 2 are needed to fly it, so there less space for people who don’t have the skills or experience to fly the craft.

It already takes many years and lots of money to train an astronaut so it could end up significantly increasing costs and time to train civilian scientists so they could get the required skills and experience to fly the Soyuz. Better to pick people who already have those skills.

GrahamS

Just watching this BBC video of the launch on YouTube and, surprise surprise, about 10% of the comments are from Flat Earthers denying it is actually happening.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc6msv9u6AE[/video]

Nothing better demonstrates the need for more investment in STEM subjects.

CountZero

Just watching this BBC video of the launch on YouTube and, surprise surprise, about 10% of the comments are from Flat Earthers denying it is actually happening
    Nothing better demonstrates the need for more investment in STEM subjects selective culling at birth.

😉
    I really couldn’t be looking at the comments, it would probably cause me to have an aneurysm!

GrahamS

This is kicking off on Facebook right now:

For all those who contacted me to suggest that the International Space Station is fake (honestly) – you are the highest order of shitwits

Posted by Professor Brian Cox on Thursday, December 17, 2015

richmars

Which head torch for a spacewalk before the sun comes up?

Link to live BBC stream, may not work

slowoldman

Replacing a faulty box outside the spacecraft? Hmm. “Open the door Hal”.

GrahamS
Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘Tim the Spaceman’ is closed to new replies.