Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Tightening up right side bb cup and….OH sh**
  • Wookster

Right I’ve just tried to put in a new BB into my bike (orange five) I put the right side in first and tightened it up not mega but tight. Then repeated the process on the left when I just checked the right side it was loose. Now it wont tighten up beyond finer and a nip witn out popping and then retuning to finger ting. The plastic collar between the two cups (ie the bit inside the frame) has popped out I can put it back in the drive side but it keeps coming out. Any Ideas? The treads look fine in both the frame and BB. excuse spelling etc.

pantsonfire
    Free Member

Might be able to help if I could understand your writing 😕

TheDoog
    Free Member

Are you using the correct amount of spacers?? orange are 73mm BB so you’d need one spacer on the drive side.

Wookster

sorry bit flustered…….:o

the right hand side drive side bb cup will not tighten up in the frame, it seems to skip then return to finger tight.

TheDoog
    Free Member

You might wanna take it to LBS and get it chased.

Wookster

Think so Doog….one spacer drive side…will bring it into to LBS tomorow work permitting….Nightmare shoube an easy job EH!!

pantsonfire
    Free Member

It sounds like the frame threads might be knackered if thats the case you can get a threaded sleeve inserted. You didnt try to undo it the wrong way did you wouldnt be the first or last to do it

TheDoog
    Free Member

I just put a hope BB in my patriot, got it chased and faced just to be on the safe side. Went in no probs.

Wookster

dont think so Pants on fire coundt get the old BB out so got LBS to do it rather than break the bb in the bike.

All the threads look fine and it went in perfect before I put the left side in, screws in and out perfectly just wont tighten up.

TheDoog
    Free Member

What BB you trying to put in?? Tho i’m geussing they all have similar length threads.

Wookster

It a shimano HTII BB from a new crank set mate.

TheDoog
    Free Member

weird, i cant imagine the inner spacer being too big, and if its plastic it can hardly push the BB out the other side. sounds thread related, whether its on the frame or the BB i dunno!!!

scaredypants

saint BB has a long drive-side thread – might work without putting in a sleeve etc ?

Wookster

Saint BB might be worth a go will see what LBS say!

TheDoog
    Free Member

I’d be tempted to try without sleeve too, and if it works over compensate for missing spacer with a **** load of grease.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

One thread has stripped – either in the frame or on the BB cup

Wookster

how big a deal is a stripped thread though? Its not terminal is it!?! 😯

TheDoog
    Free Member

I’ve heard it can be terminal,but i’m sure theres a ‘bodge’ for it!!!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

There are repairs available. sleeve and retap is the best. Ask your LBS

Wookster

😯 thanks chaps am off for a beer, will let you now what LBS says tomorrow, its only old a ten month old bike was on its second race face bearing set so went for shimano one to sort it once and for all, Boll***S.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Tightening up right side bb cup and….OH sh**’ is closed to new replies.