Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • thumb excercises – arthritis ?
  • iainc

age is catching up and I have pain in left thumb that doc reckons is a bit arthritic. On a waiting list for physio, but wondering if anyone has any good excercises to alleviate/strenthen ? I aleady use a 'gripmaster' for finger strength 😆 and a powerball occiasionally. Cheers

iainc

maybe squirt on some WD40 ?? 😆

ononeorange

Don't buy a singlespeed

Xylene
    Free Member

Brake cleaner….I'll stop that now I think.

hitchhiking

thumbwars

Maybe one of those powerballs might help.

iainc

LOL

I have a powerball, in fact I have 2, never tried them both at once though 😛

Xylene
    Free Member

I have a powerball, in fact I have 2, never tried them both at once though

Broken windows guaranteed.

Fastest Powerballer in the West

Dual action

Dasha
    Free Member

Stop using the grip-master, it might be contributing to your problem. Keep moving them though as keeping your range of movement is important.

iainc

having phoned the 'physio assessment line' this morning for an over the phone consultation I was advised non urgent referral so 9 weeks, which is fine, as it's not urgent in the overall scale of things. Got a call half an hour ago – 'would 0830 next Tuesday suit you' good old NHS 😛

Xylene
    Free Member

having phoned the 'physio assessment line' this morning for an over the phone consultation I was advised non urgent referral so 9 weeks, which is fine, as it's not urgent in the overall scale of things. Got a call half an hour ago – 'would 0830 next Tuesday suit you' good old NHS

Just had much the same today for the missus.

Doc said about three months wait two days ago, got a call today, can we come in Monday.

Maybe the coalition has something to do with it.

Kuco

They'll show you some exercise to do some will involve that power band stuff. I had to do a load when I knackered my thumb once.

iainc

that power band stuff

wotsthathen ???

Kuco

Resistance bands not power bands 😳

iainc

aha 😆

I have some of those (not Torq ones) that I use for my shonky knees, although more often the kids use 'em to catapult their teddies across the room !!!!

Kuco

LOL i've done the same but not with teddies.

finbar
    Free Member

I think beyond keeping it normally mobile, specifically exercising your thumb wouldn't help a whole lot and might make it worse – (osteo)arthritis is degeneration of a joint due to overuse, it's not like a weak muscle or something you can repair.

Kuco

Keep it warm will help.

ThePilot
    Free Member

I find changing my diet really helps when I'm having an attack.
    It's quite restrictive though. Main things to leave out are citrus fruits, tomatoes, aubergines, potatoes and a few other things. And increase the amount of oily fish you eat. More info here:
    http://www.glucosamine-osteoarthritis.org/osteoarthritis/diet-for-osteoarthritis.html

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘thumb excercises – arthritis ?’ is closed to new replies.