Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Thule roof bars + Oranges
  • xiphon
    Free Member

We need to find a suitable roof-rack solution for carrying our bikes – new car doesn’t have a towbar (old one for sale – THULE 9502 RideOn)

Those who have 5/Patriot/22x – what cycle carrier do you use?

http://www.roofracks.co.uk/thule/Roof+Mounted+Bikes+and+Cycles+Racks+and+Carriers/

I’m aware the Oranges have pretty fat downtubes. Would the 532 fit?

Cheers all 🙂

drookitmunter
    Free Member

I have a 16″ Orange Five and Thule 532 racks.

The length of the bike and the position of the swingarm is an issue as you have to clamp it quite high meaning it’s too far forward which in turn means the front wheel sticks out quite a bit and is very flappy. Also, the cam/locky bit ends up at a crazy angle. It’s not so bad if I wind down my 160 talas fork to 120 but it’s hardly ideal!

Maybe I’m just being an idiot though…

*Edit – the width of the downtube isn’t an issue at all.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

As above. My Patriot fits the clamp fine but the swingarm does make the bike sit forward on the rack so clamping the front wheel in isn’t ideal.

It doesn’t flap about or owt so it’s no real problem though.

drookitmunter
    Free Member

It doesn’t flap about or owt so it’s no real problem though.

Aye mine seems fine too but there have been times where I’ve seen the shadow of my bike while driving along and the wheel is going mental!

iainc

can you move the wheel tray forwatd a bit in relation to the clamp pivot ? That’s what I did on my 591’s and my 18′ five sits fine on it

drookitmunter
    Free Member

can you move the wheel tray forwatd a bit in relation to the clamp pivot ? That’s what I did on my 591’s and my 18′ five sits fine on it

Nah you can’t move the front tray on mine – only the rear tray. I just try not to think about it, it’s probably fine 🙂

xiphon
    Free Member

It’s going on top of one of these…

😀

rhid

I have a 591 and my 224 fits on it fine even with the fat tubing. Easy to use too as the complete bike fits on it!

Northwind

I’ve had a 224 (not evo) on my 591s, no bother. Though mine are assembled a bit wrongly now I come to think of it, I don’t think it made any difference.

andyl
    Free Member

where abouts are you? Got some 591s you can try in North Somerset.

theflatboy
    Free Member

get a 561 and you’re sorted.

xiphon
    Free Member

Thanks everybody – 561 + roof bars kit = finally can go riding elsewhere!

theflatboy
    Free Member

i love a 561. good choice!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Thule roof bars + Oranges’ is closed to new replies.