Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Thule 561 Bike carrier
  • Moda
    Free Member

Anyone used the above as need to invest in a new carrier. Thanks

prettygreenparrot

I use one like this that doesn't have the curvyness to it. I really like it. It holds the bike securely. I find it easier to get bikes into than the ones where you keep both wheels in because it has less height.

You can get a separate front wheel holder. Only much use if you carry a few bikes and need all the space in the boot/cabin.
    Picture of the 561

snowslave

The Thule 591 is better – no need to take off front wheel.

fbk
    Free Member

I've got one and love it. It doesn't sway around as much as others at speed (like the 591) and the bike sit's securely, lower on the roof.

Bit more of a hassle having to remove the wheel, and the 20mm adapter can bit of a bodge to set up initially (I had to file a small amount off the ends to fit my Revevaltions). Also you can't lock the bike to the roof if using the 20mm adapter. Otherwise it's great, especially for QR forks.

I'm getting another one I like it so much but this time it's the Pendle version as I need a 15mm through axle adapter.

edit – I've also had a bike fall out of a 591. My fault as I don't think I did the clamp up tight enough but equally not something that could have happened on the 561.

prettygreenparrot

roofracks.co.uk seem to have fair prices.

On the take wheel off/keep wheel on: I like the secure feeling the clamped front fork gives. I also like the reduced height for getting the bike on & off the rack.

I see the new curvy one has a 20mm adapter included. Although not 15mm.

jumping_flea
    Free Member

I currently have 2 561's and 2 591's on top of my car.
    I bought the 561's first and then added the 591's after a friend had some for sale.

Personally I would go for the 591 over the fork mounted version. When I have 4 bikes on the roof, I find having 2 wheels in the boot with all our stuff a pain – even when they are in a wheel bag.

The 20mm adaptor (as mentioned above) isn't great. Its just an ali tube the means the bike can't be locked to the rack. Also changing back to standard QR is also a pain to keep doing.

That said, the 561 is slightly more secure when traveling, but if I was buying again I would have got 4 591's.

Have a look at this site – http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php/car-accessories/thule_outride_fork_mounted_bike_carrier_no_561/njNA_vVotxD7.l.%2CneRMHQToUJPLhGdzP1%606%7DzKd

I got great service and a free wheel bag

EDIT – as above again. There is no 15mm adaptor for the 561. I think CRC do one but you would need to look into it

snowslave

I find the carriers relying on fork fixing a pain to be honest. I've an old Thule carrier like that and the big hassle is all forks/ brakes are different. They were fine with stuff like my old vanillas, but wouldn't work with floats combined with hope mono M4's. I currently run pikes on one bike with a 20 mm maxle, and tAlas with a15 mm bolt through on another, both of which don't fit this carrier without different adapters. My mates all run different set ups too, some of which would work with these carriers, others which don't. In comparison the 591's fit every bike no prob.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Thule 561 Bike carrier’ is closed to new replies.