Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • thoughts on rocket ron's (tyres) 2.25 versions
  • jonnyrockymountain

as above grip in variety of conditions? and rolling?

rocketman
    Free Member

Amazing on both counts ime. Are rare combination of grip and speed in all but pure mud

they just don’t last very long – frazzled like a MotoGP tyre after a handful of rides – and are quite fragile

jonnyrockymountain

I was thinking the pace compound snakeskin tl ready versions

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

great if you live in the Province of Savona! not so great on holcombe moors.

scrumfled
    Free Member

erm, i switched from mine about a month back. great summer tyre, bloody awful in mud.

rocketman
    Free Member

Snakeskin more robust at the expense of speed. Schwalbe have too many versions of what is allegedly the same tyre and even though the name is the same the tyre’s characteristics are quite different. Rockets are fast because they’re so light but Snakeskin makes them heavier 😕

alanf
    Free Member

As above, great summer tyre but not great in slop and mud.
    Not sure what compound/version mine are but they’ve done me fine in the Peak and I’ve had reasonable life out of them

njee20
    Free Member

Been running mine all year, since January (only 29er tyres I’ve got). Done about 1200 miles I think and they’re still fine, rear showing very slight wear, but not bad.

I rate them. Standard PaceStar TLR FWIW.

crosshair
    Free Member

+1 to what Njee20 said.

I’ve still got my original 2012 front on the rear and it’s got tons of tread left. They’re super fast on the road at 40psi and super grippy in the slop at around 20 but excel somewhere in the middle.

It really does depend on the mud I think as I’ve never wanted more grip. Besides, drifting is fun 🙂

richP

I really like mine. They’re great for the winter Gorricks.
    I run the snakeskin version for a bit of protection from south downs flints.

They’re not great in the slippy, claggy south downs mud when it’s really wet (but then not much is…)

Also it would be nice if they made a 2.35 version.

pete68
    Free Member

Anyone using Racing Ralph’s for the Gorricks at this time of year? Was thinking one of them at the back and a Ron at the front. I’ve got mud x on at the moment which are obviously very grippy but also feel very slow.

carbonfiend
    Free Member

Great run TL ready SS 2.25 on 29, with identical version on Ron up front. Wouldn’t dream of using them in mud conditions though. Don’t care about extra weight I like the traction & protection that these give me but wouldn’t use one upfront.

richP

Pete. I raced the last Gorrick Autumn Classic on ralphs front and rear. It wasn’t that muddy so got away with it.

Rons probably would have been better though…

mashiehood
    Free Member

Only run rons, the best tyre for my type of riding, mainly XC

jobro
    Free Member

I really rate Rons as a fast all round tyre. My experience is only in 29er version though. I find them incredibly grippy at the the back run at 24lbs.
    The front is a bit of a problem when it gets loose in my experience. Its when they hit a soft edge I find problematic. They just seem to fall over.
    On my Czar which I use in rougher conditions I’m changing to a Nic on the front.
    Best race bike tyre IMHO with a thunder Burt on the back when its dusty.

cycleofaddiction
    Free Member

Great year round tyre I’ve ridden mine 29″ 2.10 evo pacestar tubeless in local forest trails, in the mountains of Wales and raced on them in winter in the Peak District and love them, have them tubless on my CX bike too. Have just switched to 29″ 2.25 snakeskin for a bit of extra protection in rock gardens and they are even better ! Great tyres. .

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Too fragile for any serious use and lack aggressive tread. Lightness comes at a penalty

tomcanbefound
    Free Member

Ran a SS version up front for the last 2 years still plenty of life, really nice tyre , great mix of speed and grip. Only swapped out as i wanted to try something a bit more robust. Gotta say i wont be swapping back, found the sidewalls of the schwalbes to flexy on my HT even with the snakeskin. The extra confidence from protection contis is way worth the weight penalty (for fun rootyness anyway if speed is your thing or your on a 140mm+ FS then stick with the schwalbes)

jonnyrockymountain

Thanks guys

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘thoughts on rocket ron's (tyres) 2.25 versions’ is closed to new replies.