Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Thoughts on building kids bike??
  • faceplanter99
    Free Member

My lad who’s 8yrs old is following in my footprints (or tyre tracks) and really getting into mountain biking. He shreds through technical singletrack and always gives sections a go and he’s starting to get air on DH trails too – little ripper!!!
    He’s got a Giant MX full sus bike which hasn’t really got much travel, control or decent components. Alright for bombing around the streets and a bit offroad but not all out trail riding.
    I’m trying to find something more suited but haven’t come across anything yet.
    Ideally I think a hardtail with disc brakes (hydraulic), and an alright spec. I wondered about a small adult frame with 20″ wheels, would that work??
    Any suggestions or ideas??

Cheers

tthew

Would it maybe be possible to put some decent forks on a nice BMX?? (IME, most forks on child bikes have springs fit for a rugby player, this may be the hardest part of your challenge).

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I’d have a look on the Islabikes website – not to buy one, but it gives a good idea of wheel size for a child’s age and also the kind of standover heights. The bikes they sell for 7year olds are 24″ wheels and 8yr olds have 26″ wheels on a 14″ frame.

So a small adult frame, yes, but maybe even ‘full size’ 26″ wheels too!

Or perhaps look at trials bike frame?

Neil-F
    Free Member

My lad had a 24″ Raleigh with a 12.5″ frame from 8yo, that was pretty much perfect for him size-wise, but it weighed quite a bit. Luckily it didn’t last him long, he quickly outgrew it. I built him a jump style bike using the components from my Hardtail which was seriously underused, with a 100mm RS Dart fork and it weighs a hell of a lot less than the Raleigh.
    I’d try and find a 24″ wheel bike, with a small frame.

DezB
    Free Member
    yossarian
    Free Member

I’d go for a race bmx with a carbon fork with really decent tire clearance. Tubeless tires, plus perhaps a 3 speed hub gear. V brakes should be enough so long as they are properly set up.

DezB
    Free Member

3 speed? Why?

aracer
    Free Member

BMX/20″ wheels for proper off-road riding? Such an advantage to bigger wheels on rough terrain that seems silly for an 8yo – my 5yo is on 20″ wheels!

yossarian
    Free Member

No one needs shitloads of gears offroad, least of all kids. Get them pumping through the trail not relying on ratios. All IMO of course. Easy/medium/hard.

DezB
    Free Member

Hmm, my kid likes his gears. Custom race BMX sounds rather expensive

faceplanter99
    Free Member

That Giant XTC is a cracking lookin bike!
    Many good suggestions giving food for thought. Another road I thought of pursuing is kinda wangleing the bike to work scheme…….
    I got my Commencal Ramones through the scheme and wondered about an adult small frame. After enquiring at LBS I found kids bikes are not done under the scheme (understandibly!)
    I think it may be the way as he will out grow any intermediate bike within no time and will end up with a better bike all round.
    Hopefully by the time he outgrows the adult small bike he will be sponsored by Giant or Yeti and will be supplying me with bikes and parts a plenty!!!

yossarian
    Free Member

aracer – Member
    BMX/20″ wheels for proper off-road riding? Such an advantage to bigger wheels on rough terrain that seems silly for an 8yo – my 5yo is on 20″ wheels!

These dudes seem to manage, I know it’s bmx dirt jumping but its not really going to be full on trails for an 8 year old is it? Anyway, nice vid 🙂

http://vimeo.com/m/31294716

aracer
    Free Member

These dudes seem to manage, I know it’s bmx dirt jumping but its not really going to be full on trails for an 8 year old is it?

Why not? I’ve taken my 5yo on far rougher stuff than that. Also kids are exactly who need gears – not sure how you expect them to pump up a climb. The OP is talking about trail riding, not dirt jumping.

geoffj

My 8 yr old is on a carrera 24 detonate FS which he loves. I picked it up for £50 off eBay. It’s not too heavy and the suspension does actually work for him. Not sure how long it’ll last though as I caught him on his mums new 16″ inbred yesterday! First time on 26″ wheels!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Thoughts on building kids bike??’ is closed to new replies.