Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • those 'widget' things up there ^^
  • slowrider
    Free Member

anyone tried one? i think they look good because you arent restricted to a minimum ring of 32t. not sure if i would trust it without a guide and roller though, not to mention a bash!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It's from Australia, so it works upside down. No roller needed. 😉

Tracker1972
    Free Member

What widget things where?

slowrider
    Free Member

sorry, a link would be useful wouldnt it

clicky

bassspine
    Free Member

so are they selling them in the UK now?

aracer
    Free Member

You're a naughty, naughty boy, bassspine.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Who would want just a 28t ring!?

slowrider
    Free Member

dunno, id try a 30 though

molgrips
    Free Member

Their blurb starts with this sentence:

Lets assume for a moment, that a mountain bike is being ridden in typical single track terrain where the 32 tooth 'middle' chain ring is used all or most of the ride.

Eh what?

In other words, let's pretend that everyone absolutely needs our product – then, you can clearly see that it'd be ideal for everyone!

trail_rat
    Free Member

they dont last on kids bikes …….

cant see them lasting on MTBs

product in looking for problem and failing shocker , must give a great chainline too !

slowrider
    Free Member

looks like it mounts to the inner tabs but sits where the middle ring would so shouldnt give any worse chainline than a middle?

why dont they last on kids bikes?

Daffy

Chuffin expensive though.

ginsterdrz
    Free Member

Work out at £80 in the UK. Bet they've sold at least two.

They need to get a grip and drop the price-after all its only a chainring and a couple of stainless plates.

Would like to see a test ruling out chain noise as a possible problem.

They ask you to contact them with any problems….guinea pig springs to mind!

slowrider
    Free Member

thats pretty steep! half that would be more like it.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Wouldn't a MRP 1×9 thingy be lighter and cheaper, and probably more secure?

poppa
    Free Member

As I have said on another two threads on this topic, the MRP chainguide works well (for me), costs £37, weighs 60g and arguably looks better. So ner.

ginsterdrz
    Free Member

I run MRP at mo but Widget does look trick…if it works!

tinsy
    Free Member

I dont think you have looked at the widget right, its a new ring with and inner and and outer plate attatched to it, so yes its expensive at £80 but if your going down the 1×9 route then probably about the same as a ngear jump stop and bash or the MRP1x9 guide plus a new ring…

flippin eck thats the first pic I have seem of the MRP guide on a bike, its huge !!

poppa
    Free Member

Aha, I see what the deal is now. So it seems more competetive than I previously thought. Only limitation is you have to use their rings?

poppa
    Free Member

Oh, and looking at the photo it looks like this chainring goes on the inner ring position?!? Surely that's not ideal for chainline etc.

ginsterdrz
    Free Member

No-Still don't see why its so pricey. Most peeps don't want or need a new chainring. Come on UK manufacturer. Get one sorted.

singletrackmatt

Hello! Paul who makes the Widgit and is the advertiser is sending one for test any day now. ;] Funnily enough I remeber something similar from the mid 90's made by a guy who raced DH for Pace . Where we are (Calderdale) I can see it'll mak a lot of sense- also with wider spaced cassetes (Shimano are doing a 36-11 for 29er's) the amount of gears you'll lose is minimal.

AlexSimon

Dragging up an old thread.
    I think I'm about to buy the Widgit.
    The main reason instead of MRP/e13/paul/etc chain devices is that it allows fewer teeth than 32.
    It seems pretty unique in this respect, unless someone knows of anything else I can do.

People have mentioned the chainline, the teeth are offset from the bolts so that they are somewehere in-between the inner and middle positions (I think it varies by chainring size).

It is expensive £80 + anything HMRC fancies.

Any owners? Ever dropped a chain?

Did Singletrack ever review one (I haven't seen it if they did). Matt?

Also, I've heard companies saying that a Hammerschmidt doesn't work very well with their suspension designs. I'm likely to buy the 28t. Do you think it's different enough from 32 to cause any problems?

Cheers
    Alex

james
    Free Member

I don't really get why you want to limit yourself to a 28T ring only, gaining a bit for the ups at the expense of downs and flat roads

If you've got some properly steep long hills and can't hack a 32T ring then a double setup (eg 22/32, 22/36 etc) (or triple) would seem like a better bet IMO

AlexSimon

Well, a 28×11 is only losing one gear off a 32×11 (it's equivalent to a 32×12.5), so I don't think I'll miss it. The amount of road I do is minimal, and I'm quite happy freewheeling at that speed.

Here in the peak district I'm often using the granny ring, so I thought a 28t would be a good compromise. 28×34 for the moment until I can justify the move to 11-36 10 speed.

james
    Free Member

Will a 10spd chain fit a 'widgit' chainring?

£80 seems insanely steep too

AlexSimon

According to Paul at Widgit it will, The Sram ones already do. But I'm slightly dubious of the dyna-sys stuff. People keep referring to a new pitch on the chain but I haven't seen anyone actually do a side-by-side of the chains or quote measurements.

AlexSimon

I guess after doing a bit of invoicing I'll take the plunge then.

keavo
    Free Member

i bought a 28t widgit for a 1×9 29er. the inner chainguard hits the chainstay on a niner sir9 and a salsa big mama. i suspect the problem could occur on other 29ers but probably not on 26ers.
    i sent it back for a refund, i lost out on return postage and import tax and vat.
    i wasn't happy with the product or losing money and felt like an unpaid tester for somebody else's product. i still like the idea and would like to go smaller than a 32t ring for a 1×9 29er but the widgit won't do it.

AlexSimon

I'm surprised about the 29er thing. I thought that Widgit had done the maths on making each size ring fit within the space normally occiped by a standard chainset. Hmmmm

keavo
    Free Member

i think most 29er chainstays are wider close to the bb shell compared to most 26ers. i was using standard deore cranks, axle and bottom bracket cups.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘those 'widget' things up there ^^’ is closed to new replies.