• This topic has 64 replies, 40 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by pk13.
Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Thinking of going to the Alps to ski? Don't bother.
  • isto
    Free Member

@wallop. So how is the glacier? Big queues? The runs a lot better than the local ones they have open? Cheers.

wallop

@isto

It’s busy at the lifts but the pistes are fine. Some lifts have no queue. It’s blooming windy, there are lots of icy patches, but the sun has been shining and most things are open. There is plenty to do. We’ve had a great day skiing and it was well worth the trip.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Plenty of options within driving distance of BSM. Val D, Val T, Tignes…

@wallop
    the issue is whether they will grant you access to the resort (where will you park) and sell you a lift ticket. As posted here Trois Vallees aren’t accepting visitors not staying in the resort and I have heard the same about Avoriaz – they are keeping access to those staying there. Last week we where able to ski in Tignes easily and car park was less than half full but for New year week – who knows ?

wallop

No way! I didn’t realise they did that. Boooo!

boxelder
    slowoldgit
    Free Member
    wobbliscott
    Free Member

Apparently the Pyreneese is doing well at the moment. I’ve spoken to a few people who have been over the past few weekends and there is plenty of snow. I’ve got till march for my holiday but I’m expecting it to be warm and slushy as it was last year. Can’t complain though. Over the past 18 yrs of skiing last year was my first year for crap conditions, and there was still good conditions on the upper slopes to be found.

acer2012
    Free Member

Just spent the week before Christmas in the Champoluc in the italian alps and the snow was absolutely fine. Nothing amazing but could always find a bit of ski-able off-piste and basically all the runs were open. Give it a try!

rewski
    Free Member

Phew!

Edukator
    Free Member

Well worth bothering everywhere in France now if you are patient about getting up to resorts. Don’t forget the chains. First X-C ski of the season this morning at only 1360m.

takisawa2

[Shiver]
    If I get on a plane…I’m getting off somewhere hot. 😉

footflaps

Just arrived in Serre Chevalier and loads of snow down in the valley, am expecting pretty much all the lifts to be open tomorrow.

schnullelieber
    Free Member

Powder day in Morzine and Avoriaz today. Had about 40-50cms yesterday/ast night. Pretty decent for my first day of the season.

justatheory
    Free Member

Bit early to tell people not to bother going Alps. Snow is unreliable pre-xmas. It could dump for a week and then everything is sorted.

iolo
    Free Member

Austrian Alps are bloody covered in snow now. Have fun.

hora
    Free Member

The CRV owners should be alright though.

Who goes ski-ing in Dec in the French Alos? Brits?

Northwind

slowoldgit – Member

Does this change things…

Yup, from being closed due to no snow, the alps are now closed due to snow.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

SNOW? In the Alps in December?
    Who’d have thought it? Unbelievable.

footflaps

Starting to look a bit thin now in the Alps, no snow since last WE and none forecast either!

theblackmount
    Free Member

Strange comment…

Not been skiing abroad for years but I’ve seen a hell of a lot worse then this outlook for early January:

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/snowreports/snowconditions.aspx#.VKe0sdKsV8F

footflaps

Based on a week in Serre Chevalier – week started at -20C at the mid station, was +10 yesterday and the lower slopes are all stripping rapidly. Given we’re in the middle of the french alps, I imagine the conditions in all the nearby resorts are pretty similar. Just because the lifts are open, doesn’t mean the snow is great! Plenty of stones and grass are appearing in the lower slopes with the lifts all open here. Worst conditions at this time of year I’ve seen for the last 6 years (we always ski NY week).

theblackmount
    Free Member

Well you’re actually in the Southern French Alps (I’ve been there)but let’s not get hung up on detail.

Besides, nothing wrong with a bit of combat skiing 😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

No doubting it’s been a poor snow season so far, the dump we had a week or so was just one of what you would normally expect to be many. Fingers crossed the January storms bring more and establish a good base whip is currently lacking

boblo
    Free Member

Same in La Plagne/Les Arc. Started with snowmaggedon last weekend after a drought. Down to stones and shit now.

pk13

I should be going to la plagne early Feb I’ve not booked yet. Plenty of time yet but it’s the only “posh holiday” I will be going on this year. Mrs pk13 is going to be gutted if we don’t go but I’m not boarding on rocks.

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Thinking of going to the Alps to ski? Don't bother.’ is closed to new replies.