Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Thinking of a Nexus 7? Read this.
  • Cougar

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19509626

“7in Kindle Fire HD with 16 gigabytes of storage will cost £159 in the UK, and has a HDMI port.”

Innnnteresting.

parkesie
    Free Member

Thought this might be about a cheap gear hub 🙂

dh
    Free Member

Sounds good, but no news on uk Release date?

SnS
    Free Member

Wonder what the rest of the hardware spec’s like in comparison to the Nexus 7 ?

I’m still waiting for the Nexus 10 though – Having said that, the way the tablet market’s moving, it’s hellishly fast ….

Chris

Cougar

I’m really liking that the market is finally moving towards “cheap tablets that aren’t shit.”

The Fire should be a decent spec. I suspect that like the regular Kindles there’s an incredibly small markup, if any, because Amazon expect to recoup money in app / book sales.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Erm…will it…

scaredypants

… heated backplate ?

I doubt it tbh – buggers battery life

Stoner
    Free Member

I was seriously thinking of a nexus.
    Now the question is how long to wait for the competition…

Cougar

More here, direct from source,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0083PWAWU/

Stoner
    Free Member

thats a big border around the display

Cougar

Yeah, it’s bigger than the Nexus.

Kobo Arc looks interesting too. Three-horse race.

Stoner
    Free Member

Im ready for my upgrade. Sometime in Oct I think.

Stoner Jr has pretty much annexed my Ainol so time for another….

scaredypants

I’d rather have a note2
    (won’t be, but I’d rather)

spudly1979
    Free Member

Just had a look on Amazon’s own site and I’ve got to admit, it looks really really good! I’d be interested to see
    The full spec though, and have a go. I was very impressed with the nexus when I had a play with one.

Only concern really is the Amazon mod of android. Has anyone seen if it’s based on the newest version of android? Oh and how limiting is the Amazon app store vs Google play?

Think it night be an option for a late birthday present…

Cougar

The Fire should be a decent spec. I suspect that like the regular Kindles there’s an incredibly small markup, if any, because Amazon expect to recoup money in app / book sales.

Kinda related,

http://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-ad-revenue-2012-3

Cougar

Only concern really is the Amazon mod of android.

Yeah, that’d be my primary concern, and it’s a big one. Hopefully it should be XDA-deved pretty quickly but there’s no guarantee.

Stoner
    Free Member

that would have been my first concern, but TBH I flash my stuff within a few weeks anyway so I guess it’s not a big deal.

spacemonkey

Hopefully the iPad Mini/Nano/Whatever is more than just fiction and offers another genuine competitor. Roll on 12th Sep (unless that’s just another imaginary PR date too) …

spudly1979
    Free Member

Has anyone had a go with the original fire? Was the Amazon overlay that bad? I only plan to use for surfing, e books, email and maybe trial Love film and a newspaper. Maybe for work emails as it supports exchange and office apparently.

spacemonkey
    Cougar

The most interesting bit of that is the Paperwhite Kindle. Oooh.

atlaz
    Free Member

Problem is if you wait, there will always be something better on the horizon. I’m very happy with my Nexus

Jamie
    Free Member

Not to sound like an Apple hugger, but it does annoy me when companies announce a new bit of hardware, and then after getting you interested say, ‘oh by the way, you can’t have it till October 25th.” At least with Apple you can pop in the shop the next day and buy/have a look at ‘item x’.

Anyway, rant-ette over, I really like the look the Fire HD. Just a shame it will have it’s thunder stolen if the iPad 7″ gets announced next week, and is reasonably priced. Which I guess would have been another good reason for Amazon to actually release the Fire this week.

Flaperon

Apparently running on Android 4.0 but the Amazon overlay is slooooowwww. Not surprising really when you consider the heap of crap that passes for their app store and Kindle apps on Android.

Get the Nexus 7, or wait a few weeks until it’s rumoured to get an update with 3G and HDMI out.

chvck
    Free Member

Has anyone had a go with the original fire?

Girlfriend has one and it seems to be fine however she hasn’t got any apps or used the app store yet as amazon haven’t released it here yet…

vinnyeh

Content delivery (ie Amazon Prime and Streaming Content) looks like it will cost around twice the price of the US equivalent, and no announcement that the lending library feature will be implemented on this side of the Atlantic.
    Will be interesting to see how the app store prices up as well.

spudly1979
    Free Member

Flaperon, where did you hear that? Not seen anything on that, other than people demanding it!

Jamie
    Free Member

I think the rumour originated from Modaco, and spread from there. Whether it’s true or not, well…who knows.

spudly1979
    Free Member

just had a look at the prime and streaming content available in the US, that’d be a big influencer on me buying it – i like the idea i can borrow books and streaming films or tv series to watch whilst mrs spud watches something awful would be a bonus!

Thing is, can i not get most of that from say, netflix (apart from the books bit)?

If as the papers say Amazon has invested millions and millions in the content available, they’d want to make it available to as many people as possible to influence their purchases – its what makes it different from the nexus (and possibly the ipad mini), so why wouldn’t they release the prime and book borrowing stuff in the UK?

Jamie
    Free Member

so why wouldn’t they release the prime and book borrowing stuff in the UK?

Excellent question. I can only assume it’s some sort of licensing nonsense as usual.

vinnyeh

just had a look at the prime and streaming content available in the US, that’d be a big influencer on me buying it – i like the idea i can borrow books and streaming films or tv series to watch whilst mrs spud watches something awful would be a bonus!

Thing is, can i not get most of that from say, netflix (apart from the books bit)?

If as the papers say Amazon has invested millions and millions in the content available, they’d want to make it available to as many people as possible to influence their purchases – its what makes it different from the nexus (and possibly the ipad mini), so why wouldn’t they release the prime and book borrowing stuff in the UK?

Amazon own Lovefilm,so do have the revenue stream, it’s just that in the US both the main Prime services are in one bundle, at a much lower price than buying the equivalent here.

Kuco

I had a quick play on a Fire last December and was impressed with it. Though work choose to go down the ipad route.

atlaz
    Free Member

For streaming, I use Netflix on my phone, laptops, xbox and tablet. Same experience everywhere for one price rather than being DRM locked.

Tom-B
    Free Member

I’ve just taken a new phone contract and got a 16gb Nexus free! (Hopefully!-I may have just given my bank details to somalian pirates or the like!)

Stoner
    Free Member

Get the Nexus 7, or wait a few weeks until it’s rumoured to get an update with 3G and HDMI out.

Hope that’s true, so that the non-3G, non-HDMI ones come down in price again. WHy in this day and age of android phone wifi hotspot does one need 3G and to be paying another data SIM account fee?

Kuco

Because not everyone is near a wifi hotspot and at times at work can’t even get 3g signals and at times phone signals can be dubious and thats not even being in far off remote areas just a few miles from towns.

Stoner
    Free Member

you mis understand my post.

Any android (or even jesus phone) can be turned into a wifi hotspot.
    And if you’re phone doesnt work, then the 3G modem in your tablet isnt going to do a lot either.

alfabus
    Free Member

so the paperwhite isn’t being released in the UK..

Anyone know what the deal is with using a US purchased one over here? Can you register it to a UK amazon account?

Dave

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Thinking of a Nexus 7? Read this.’ is closed to new replies.