• This topic has 53 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Things you own that you thought were worth a fortune..
  • tjagain

I bought my parents an rather nice art deco vase for their 25th anniversary. ( 30 years ago) they took it to the antiques roadshow for a valuation. turns out its a very common piece made by a glass company out of scraps / end of production run and is worth no more than I paid for it all that time ago. that was a bit disappointing

theotherjonv

My parents have a hand me down cigarette case that has been in the family since the days of the Raj. Used to be worth quite a lot.

But it’s made of carved ivory and no provenance of it’s age to pre-47 hence it’s virtually unsellable.

kcal

Have heaps of Churchill logins ? – along with everyone else.

My folks – and now me – had a musical box from late 1800s, it was a bit wrecked, dad got it restored, and was insured for a fair amount. Think there’s less market now for them, so it’s less than half that in value. Good piece though.

aP
    Free Member

theotherjonv – Member
    My parents have a hand me down cigarette case that has been in the family since the days of the Raj. Used to be worth quite a lot.

But it’s made of carved ivory and no provenance of it’s age to pre-47 hence it’s virtually unsellable.
    You’ll be ok now as Our Theresa of May has agreed to remove the restrictions on selling ivory recently.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

My Great British Regiments cap badge collection from Texaco I’ve had for over 40 years. Turns out it’s valued at about fifteen quid

The same goes for my Esso 1970 world cup coin collection, and 1974 and 1978 etc etc…

kcal

Oh, I’ve got the World Cup coins – and the football club badges (still taste the glue).
    I could never throw them out!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

All the stuff I took to the car boot sale yesterday & is now in the charadee shop.

jamj1974

My Great British Regiments cap badge collection from Texaco I’ve had for over 40 years. Turns out it’s valued at about fifteen quid

I have that too!

squirrelking
    Free Member

The Diana 52 I bought second hand last year for £300 and was getting a good deal as it had a scope. New importer smashed prices and it’s now worth two thirds what I paid.

Never mind, it was bought for sentimental value anyway.

onlysteel
    Free Member

Loads of vinyl of no value other than as memories.

DezB
    Free Member

A new £5 note wih the serial no. starting AK47. They told me it’d be worth £100s! 😆 (See em on ebay. What morons)

deadkenny
    Free Member

Various vinyl rare & picture disc stuff Record Collector said was worth a few quid 25 years ago but a few quid was a fair bit then, and they’re still only worth the same few quid today.

trailwagger
    Free Member

My Dad has every Beatles album on original vinyl…. Turns out they are worth about a tenner each.

DezB
    Free Member

My Dad has every Beatles album on original vinyl…. Turns out they are worth about a tenner each.

Was in a 2nd hand record shop on Record Store Day weekend and he had loads of Beatles albums for sale – noteably, Sgt Peppper’s, Revolver & Let It Be – marked up for £100-£250 quid depending on Mono/stereo, condition etc.
    I think they’re destined to stay in the shop, no idea where he gets his prices from!

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Things you own that you thought were worth a fortune..’ is closed to new replies.