Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Things to do in New York in May
  • Drapoon
    Free Member

Getting married in May followed by 7 days in New York for our Honeymoon – blimey it is approaching fast 😯

We have a few things booked in:
    Broadway show (not my cuppa tea but we will see how it goes!)
    Baseball game – always fancied it
    We have identified a few nice places to eat too
    Want to see Grand central station

Just wondered if there is anything off the obvious lists of things to do that people recommend?

thanks

Martin

Bagstard
    Free Member

Go on a boat trip down the Hudson river, it is really interesting and gives you a sense of where everything is and ideas for where to go next.

crispo
    Free Member

Do the top of the Rockerfella centre rather than the Empire State. The dusk and dawn ticket lets you go up in the day time and then again in the evening (which is totally different).

coma2s
    Free Member

Go on the tour bus there are loads of them the red ones, there is a bout 5 different routes and 1 ticket get you on them all, very touristy but well worth it the commentry is very good and you can hope on hope off at varius stops around the city all on the same ticket.

You will undoubtly be stopped by one of the tickets sellers near times SQ

klunky
    Free Member

http://www.newyorkpass.com/

Get that and save money/get in free to some cool tourist things. It was well worth the cash for me.

http://www.bikenewyork.org/ride/five-boro-bike-tour/
    Not sure if that will float your wifes boar as its about 50 miles.
    I hired bikes and rode it with my wife last year. It was amazing – a closed road bike tour taking you all round new york at a nice pace. You get to ride over brooklyn bridge etc which obviously you cant normally do. People of all abilitys rode it so no pressure.

I loved just walking about and taking in the sites. I also felt very safe no matter where we were as the cops were always visible and often asked if we needed directions etc.

The only thing I wish I had done but never is http://www.intrepidmuseum.org/
    It has a space shuttle and an SR71A which I would have LOVED to see along with kick ass things like P47 thunderbolts etc.

Lastly I found out on the 2nd last day that tipping bellow 20% is an insult and 30% is the norm :-/
    I guess I insulted a lot of people on my trip!

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Go on the Staten Island Ferry. It’s free.

Just get off on Staten Island and get back on again. It does give a reasonable view of the Statue of Liberty and Manhatten.

Did I mention it was free?

Grand Central Station is a nice place to go and spend time (for free).

Central Park often has baseball games (amateur) or concerts at weekends – for free.

Excuse the free motiff – New York is expensive…..

Drapoon
    Free Member

Thanks for the ideas chaps

Free is always good – my acc. is going to be pretty much rinsed after the “big day”

meehaja
    Free Member

baseball i really boring live.

cycling around central park is fun, take a bit of a picnic and make it a romantic thing rather just trying out beach cruisers!

chamley
    Free Member

Top of the Rock is essential, lots will say “but you’ve got to do Empire State Building!” but it’s not as good, you queue for hours and it’s really crowded at the top. Plus the view’s better from the Rock.

Here’s a few ideas;

Guggenheim Gallery, Whitney or Museum of Modern Art are great if you like that sort of thing. The Met is also good but massive, can be a bit full on.

The Lower East Side has loads of great unique bars.

You can pretend to be Tom Hanks in Big on the piano at FAO Schwartz. Plus the big Apple store is next door and Tiffany’s is down the road if your wife wants a look. (Was fine for me when we went in, most stuff was as expensive as my house so no danger of having to get the wallet out!)

Have a wander through Times Square after dark to get the full effect of all the neon, pretty impressive.

Skyline Walkway, trawl bike shops, walk over the brooklyn bridge, run along the Hudson……

voodoo_simon
    Free Member

Go back from new york last month (honeymoon too), some good ideas above.

I agree with klunky, the new york pass is really good value for money, well worth checking out.

Things to do;
    Top of the rock (dont bother with the Empire), great views of the city
    Boat trip around Manhattan, takes about 3 hours. The guide was excellent and very informative. Best part of the trip!
    Ellis Island, allow half a day or so to go around the museum on immigration.
    Intrepid museum, well worth a visit if you like aircraft, my wife cant stand aircraft but enjoyed the museum.

Where to eat;
    Best two places where Blu Fin (By red stairs/theatre ticket office in Times square on the west side). Excellent breakfast.
    Johns pizza place (we went to the one off Times Square
    http://www.johnspizzerianyc.com/index2.htm

And on a sad/geeky note, if you’re a coffee drinker, go to Starbucks and get a large coffee flask. The staff in the UK cant even get hold of these and it makes the jealous 😀

Enjoy, wish i could go back

spacecadett
    Free Member

Check out Michael Jordans Steak Restaurant. It is in Grand Central Station, overlooking the main lobby. The steak is brill, the creamed spinach lush and the surroundings even better.

swright
    Free Member

Top of the rock is ace! Empire statebuilding is good and it is possibly one of the most well known buildings in the world buy t op of the rock gives better views of the city.
    Going to have to take a trip to the avenue of america’s. It is amazing. ( 5th avenue)
    Trying to think, juniors restaurant is really good, i think its called that.
    madison square is always a good shout.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Things to do in New York in May’ is closed to new replies.