• This topic has 38 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by nbt.
Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Things that go bump in the night… or at tea time in this case.
  • Harry_the_Spider

We were all sat have or tea last night (dinner for those who don’t speak Northern) when we heard a bump and the sound of breaking glass from upstairs. An ornament had fallen over and toppled a large cylindrical candle. The candle had then rolled about 18” along the top of a chest of drawers and off the end onto the bed side table below, hitting a very expensive Venetian glass table lamp which is now in eight pieces (note to self – must get super glue from Tesco on the way home). Nobody was in the room. No windows were open.

Also things frequently fall off the shelves in my under stairs tool lair when nobody is anywhere near it.

Picking up and sorting a box of 800 assorted sized woodscrews is bad enough, but repairing a glass lampshade is going to be a right PITA.

How very, very odd. Anybody else suffer from this sort of nonsense?

I blame this man.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

See what he looks like now he’s all grown up?

binners

You might want to keep the kids away from the telly for a bit mate

We have a similar problem with our ‘house guest’ turning the radio on in the kitchen. Thought it was maybe just a fault with the radio, but its now been replaced with a new ipod dock and its still happened since

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I once dropped in on a neighbour and noted the make and model of his TV. I then bought one of those multi-use remote control things and occasionally walk pass his house and change the channel for him.

Harry_the_Spider

lol

molgrips
    Free Member

I presume you are familiar with the broken telly and the parrot story?

terrahawk
    Free Member

sounds like yer common-or-garden demonic presence to me.
    It might also explain the recent behaviour of your first-born.

something like this in your back bedroom is bound to knock a few knick-knacks over

BigJohn

You have ornaments?

And people call ME middle class? (I’m not, btw)

glenh
    Free Member

Harry_the_Spider – Member
    We were all sat have or tea last night (dinner for those who don’t speak Northern)

We understand the word tea. We tend to have it around 4pm, with a nice scone.

Anyway, get that stupid ghost hunters tv program around. They might pay you some cash to film in your house with the lights out.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I presume you are familiar with the broken telly and the parrot story?

no, do tell

trailmonkey

don’t cross the streams ray

binners

Sounds like an Alan Partidge style programme suggestion

Monkey Tennis?!
    Ghost-Hunting with Harry the Spider?!
    Cooking in Prison?!

sobriety
    Free Member

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

Harry_the_Spider

It might also explain the recent behaviour of your first-born.

The second one has started to display some signs of disturbing behavior too.

spacemonkey

Yep, we have one specific part of the kitchen where weird stuff happens, normally around 10:30pm every few months or so. Plus stuff goes missing and reappears in totally out of the way places. And lights come on upstairs.

We do live in a 400yr old house though.

molgrips
    Free Member

According to the story (but this could all be horlicks) when TV remotes first came out some used ultrasound. One family had endless trouble with the telly turning itself on and off randomly and changing channels. They had engineers out and replacement sets lots of times. In the end they realised it was their pet parrot listening to and mimicking the ultrasound – cos they can hear and talk that high apparently.

Harry_the_Spider

Tis true. A friend of the family had to move their budgie to another room because it learned to make the CLICK-CLICK noise of a 1970s pop-a-matic channel changer.

binners

Plus stuff goes missing and reappears in totally out of the way places

Yip, that happens to my spanners, allen keys etc while I’m working on my bike

derek_starship
    Free Member

What absolute twoddle.

All I can say is; all ghosty whosty type things must be really dull.

If I was a ghost, I’d be robbin’ your Peroni and ordering stuff on t’internet – cases of wine, pron and that. I certainly wouldn’t be rolling candles onto glass lamps. How very, very dull.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Either your house is on a rift line or:

binners

Derek – Have you ever thought of setting up a business now, in anticipation of slipping your mortal coil, where you could take bookings to carry out the afore-mentioned work from beyond the grave?

Rentaghost?

Spin
    Free Member

You need to read about Richard Feynman and The Supernatural Clock before y’all go jumping to conclusions:

http://www.brew-wood.co.uk/physics/feynman.htm#clock

RustySpanner

Mice? They love candles, the urine soaked little cuties.
    It’s been proper warm too, could it have melted a bit in the sunlight and just fell over?

Alternatively, if there are any feathers around, it could be a poltergoose.

Hope this helps.

Cougar

if there are any feathers around, it could be a poltergoose.

Thanks, you just made coffee come out of my nose.

ransos
    Free Member

“According to the story (but this could all be horlicks) when TV remotes first came out some used ultrasound.”

Might be true. My parents tell me that my Fisher Price activity centre used to change the channel on their TV. This would’ve been the early 80s.

twinklydave

Seeing as I’ve now got the theme tune to rentaghost stuck in my head because of you, I sort of hope you ARE haunted. 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

Tis true. A friend of the family had to move their budgie to another room because it learned to make the CLICK-CLICK noise of a 1970s pop-a-matic channel changer.

Fairly impressive for a bird to learn to produce an ultrasonic noise….

Harry_the_Spider

It wasn’t ultrasonic. It was a CLICK-CLICK noise. Clapping your hands or banging the table had the same effect.

The **** budgie just went CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK right up to the moment when they shoved it in the back room.

binners

Maybe the Parrot has some castanets?

molgrips
    Free Member

Fairly impressive for a bird to learn to produce an ultrasonic noise

Really?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Fairly impressive for a bird to learn to produce an ultrasonic noise
    Really?

Rubbish, I’ve made loadsa birds produce a high pitched noise, if you know what I mean, eh eh?

derek_starship
    Free Member

@ransos – did your folk have a Fisher Price TV?

That would explain the compatibility between it and your activity centre.

HTH

derek_starship
    Free Member

I know what you mean CM. I was tonking a bird in her parent’s pub – in the bar after hours. When she let rip, she wrote off the whole top shelf and all the glasses except those dimpled pint glasses.

D0NK

Also things frequently fall off the shelves in my under stairs tool lair when nobody is anywhere near it

I have that to but rather than supernatural shenanigans it’s more to do with the fact that the previous owner couldn’t mount a shelf straight to save his life (and I’m too lazy to correct all his screwups) Mind you it must be said my house’s previous owners were diy gods compared to some ex-house owners I could think of…

binners

Bradley Wiggins looks like he’s got Fisher Price Hair. I don’t know if he can change channels with it though

portlyone

Thanks for the link Spin, that won’t waste my afternoon!

derek_starship
    Free Member

It wasn’t ultrasonic. It was a CLICK-CLICK noise. Clapping your hands or banging the table had the same effect

I had a “remote “control”” car that used this system. It came with a gun that made a loud CLACK when you managed to overcome the enormous resistance of its trigger. The car went where the **** it wanted and I ended up with vibration white finger.

nbt

When she let rip, she wrote off the whole top shelf and all the glasses except those dimpled pint glasses.

I have that problem sometimes

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Things that go bump in the night… or at tea time in this case.’ is closed to new replies.