Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)
  • Things that don’t have names.
  • Harry_the_Spider

The spinny arm things in a dash washer, what are they called? In the absence of a known name our household have adopted the word “twasler”.

Fig 1. Twasler

Next we need to find a name for the black disk of metal that sits over the centre of the burner on a gas hob.

Fig 2. Unknown item

Suggestions please and more example of nameless items.

bikebouy
    Free Member

IHN

I think the dishwasher thing is probably called a rotor arm. Twasler is better though.

And the cover from the gas burners is probably called a burner cover.

oldnpastit

That sort of dimpley bit between your nose and upper lip. What’s that called and what’s it for?

Drac

That sort of dimpley bit between your nose and upper lip. What’s that called and what’s it for?

Movember.

Harry_the_Spider

DES MOINES (pl.n.)
    The two little lines which come down from your nose.[/i]

Taken from the brilliant The Meaning Of Liff.

http://folk.uio.no/alied/TMoL.html

GrahamS

Philtrum: it’s the seam where your face joins together.

No really that’s what it is!

jon1973
    Free Member

It’s just part of the manufacturing process.

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

It’s a philtrum.

For plucking guitar strings.

mrblobby
    Free Member

al2000

Odd, because the spinny arm things in my dishwasher are called ‘f***ing useless’.

thomthumb
    Free Member

to remind us your mum didn’t drink in pregnancy. if it is missing we have to forgive you many things – and point the blame squarely at mummy’s gin. 😉

miketually
    Free Member

The bits of paper that are punched out of sheets of paper by a hole punch. “Some idiot opened the hole punch and got X all over the floor.”

(Fun fact: The tips of shoe laces are called aglets.)

nbt

Des Moines (lit: the monks) is the french for Philtrum

Cougar

When you crack a situational joke in your head, and there’s no-one around to appreciate it, and it’s the funniest, wittiest thing EVAR but you know that if you ever tell anyone, the moment has passed and it won’t be funny.

There must be a name for that. It happens to me pretty much daily.

miketually
    Free Member

When you attempt to use a computer command, for a non-computing problem. You can’t find your keys and so your brains does a little ctrl+F. You drop something and Ctrl+Z doesn’t work.

That.

LoCo
    Free Member

Have a lot of specifc tools that have been made that have no name, wiggity, pushy pully, thing-amy-bobs

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

My cat.

druidh
    Free Member

miketually – Member
    The bits of paper that are punched out of sheets of paper by a hole punch. “Some idiot opened the hole punch and got X all over the floor.”

Chad

Cougar

Have a lot of specifc tools that have been made that have no name, wiggity, pushy pully, thing-amy-bobs

Those tiny little C-shaped circlips with a wider bit in the middle, that you got on the ends of spindles?

They’re “pingf*ckits”.

miketually
    Free Member

Lego pieces have names, but not the same names in every household. Your “two-er with only one bobble” might be someone else’s “two-pieced one stud” and the “piece that goes on top of the spinny piece to make it spin” might be a “burger bottom” somewhere else.

But, when your seven-year-old asks for “a clippy bit” you know exactly what to hand them.

A Common Nomenclature for Lego Families

Cougar

Lego pieces have names, but not the same names in every household.

Funny how they’re all unanimous that a 2×3 brick is a “six-er” when in my little Lego world it was always a double-three.

rugbydick

They’re “pingf*ckits”.

Is that because when you try to put them back on they normally go “ping” across the garage, and you go “oh, f*ckit”?

ocrider

Funny how they’re all unanimous that a 2×3 brick is a “six-er” when in my little Lego world it was always a double-three.

Ah, thats dominoes, not lego.

Anyway, everything falls into three categories: Yokes, wotsits and thingys. Anything else is superflous to my needs.

Cougar

Is that because when you try to put them back on

Or attempt to remove them in a careful, controlled manner, yes.

RustySpanner

A very small, non specific insect which is somewhere you’d rather it wasn’t (cat’s ear, sandwich, windpipe, eye, kitchen cupboard, crack of arse etc) is a ‘greebly’.

I’ve no idea why, but it is.

robh

pingf*ckits or e-clips I believe.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

That Lego link is shit – it is all that crap modern Lego for kids with no imagination.

We had two-ers, four-ers, two-er flatties, four-er flatties, bases and windows – that was about it. And we could still make space rockets, houses, cars etc – we didn’t need specially-shaped pieces because we didn’t have the imagination to make a crane or a monster…

Rant over.

theflatboy
    Free Member

miketually – Member
    When you attempt to use a computer command, for a non-computing problem. You can’t find your keys and so your brains does a little ctrl+F. You drop something and Ctrl+Z doesn’t work.

That.

i don’t do that, but when i’m in e.g. sainsburys looking for some obscure item for my wife and i can’t find it, my first thought these days is to look up its location on my phone. before realising i can’t. 🙁

quite depressing state of affairs!

Cougar

a ‘greebly’.

Isn’t that what they call stuff that adds detail to models in the movie industry?

Harry_the_Spider

Agree with you on the Lego MF. My nephew has all of his kits in separate boxes and only ever builds the same models.

We have adopted words coined by our children (2 and 4) and use them in everyday speech.

Mrs Chimbong = Emily
    Mr Gam-Gam = Oliver
    Nursery = The fireplace in Emily’s room that we keep books in.
    Cuddlies = Any toy that may be taken to bed including die cast cars, 14” plastic Buzz Lightyear dolls and Viking helmets
    Bare Necessities = The Jungle Book
    Stegga-noceros = Any dinosaur that isn’t a Rex
    Rex = Any dinosaur that isn’t a Stegga-noceros
    Walkie Bike = The Isla Bike Rothan
    Pedally Bike = The Ridgeback MX14

LoCo
    Free Member

Cougar, that’s got a name it’s a Uturn top cap c-clip, yes and than can be a right @@@@ at time 😉

Cougar

a ‘greebly’.

Isn’t that what they call stuff that adds detail to models in the movie industry?

My mistake, that’s a greeble. As you were.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Yes Yes!!!

miketually
    Free Member

We have adopted words coined by our children (2 and 4) and use them in everyday speech.

We still refer to malt loaf by the name used by our youngest, when she called it curranty bread but couldn’t pronounce her Rs. But not when the kids can hear us.

highclimber
    Free Member

The plastic thing that holds your 4-pack of special brew (or other alcholic beverages) together. what the hell is it called?

iDave
    Free Member

When you crack a situational joke in your head, and there’s no-one around to appreciate it, and it’s the funniest, wittiest thing EVAR but you know that if you ever tell anyone, the moment has passed and it won’t be funny.

There must be a name for that. It happens to me pretty much daily.

It’s called ‘failure’

derek_starship
    Free Member

That big cushion that draymen drop beer kegs onto. I bet that’s got a name but I don’t know what it is.

I wonder what the name of the thing that makes a cat purr is called…

theflatboy
    Free Member

derek_starship – Member

I wonder what the name of the thing that makes a cat purr is called…

rampant rabbit, isn’t it? 🙂

RustySpanner

Nah, it’s a purrcolator.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘Things that don’t have names.’ is closed to new replies.