Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Thin/dexterous winter gloves for 0C ā€“ Have your cake and eat it too? šŸ§¤šŸ°
  • yohandsome
    Free Member

Have a pair of Galibier Barrier Deep Winter Gloves from 2018 but theyā€™re not warm enough at 3C for me ā€“ might be showing their age, could be from the higher speeds on the road bike and admittedly I have pretty poor circulation (long body + thin fingers :s).

Theyā€™re also a bit bulkier than Iā€™d like ā€“ not offering great dexterity for sprint workouts sapping some of the fun away. Not that theyā€™re bad, theyā€™re definitely great value, plus their customer service is legendary.

Are there any thinner combos of gloves and perhaps silk liners that could work better? Something like the Castelli Perfetto ROS + liners?

Thereā€™s also the Castelli Estremo, but they seems on par with the Galibiers for bulk.

yohandsome
    Free Member

For an upgraded inner glove pick there are polypropylene inners, but might be a bit bulky again: https://www.roostersailing.com/pd/PolyPro-Glove-Liner_105313.htm

fd

yohandsome
    Free Member

Or a 2-3 mm neoprene gloves with silk liners such as the veloteze ones, wonder how the barfeel is.

https://road.cc/content/review/velotoze-waterproof-gloves-274001

iainc

I had my Castelli Perfetto ROS gloves on yesterday on a combined road and gravel ride from home. It was foggy, and about 4 degrees. My hands were only just warm enough, I reckon at zero or just above theyā€™d have been frozen cold. I was keen to see how low I could go with them, so for me, itā€™s 4 degrees. I have some toasty Endura ones for colder days, but more bulky by far.

jamiebkc

How well do your current gloves fit? At that kind of temperature cold hands ought to be either not enough core warmth, windchill, poor circulation or theyā€™re saturated with moisture (leading to windchill). Assuming youā€™re dressed well enough and the galibier gloves donā€™t have gaping holes in them, could it be that theyā€™re a bit too trim?

At that cold ā€˜puffer a few years back I wore Briskers comfortably all night, -10c I think, but it was very dry, still and I wasnā€™t going quick!

yohandsome
    Free Member

I had my Castelli Perfetto ROS gloves on yesterday on a combined road and gravel ride from home. It was foggy, and about 4 degrees. My hands were only just warm enough, I reckon at zero or just above theyā€™d have been frozen cold. I was keen to see how low I could go with them, so for me, itā€™s 4 degrees. I have some toasty Endura ones for colder days, but more bulky by far.

Maybe they could get down to 0 if you wore silk liners?

How well do your current gloves fit? At that kind of temperature cold hands ought to be either not enough core warmth, windchill, poor circulation or theyā€™re saturated with moisture (leading to windchill). Assuming youā€™re dressed well enough and the galibier gloves donā€™t have gaping holes in them, could it be that theyā€™re a bit too trim?

The Galibiers fit well, have a size medium 20.5 cm hand and sized up to a large as they run a bit snug. Think my core is ok, but the combo 1.94 cm tall, thin long fingers, riding a lot at > 35 km/h at 4C with often high air humidity offers a challenge.

Ordered a pair of Oā€™neill FLX 2 mm glued & blindstitched neoprene gloves from Amazon in large just to test (friendly return policy), presumably theyā€™ll perform similarly to a pair of Perfettos which are also neoprene?. They also carry a higher end welded seam glove in 1.5 and 3 mm called Psycho Techs.

fd

Silk liners are one the way.

MoreCashThanDash

Are you losing heat from your core/arms before it reaches your hands?

Iā€™m adopting the ā€œeating more cakeā€ approach to core insulation.

If Iā€™m moving, my Aldi specials are fine down to freezing, size up for liners underneath. Iā€™ve commuted 50 minutes at -8Ā° in the past with glove liners and cheap Planet X lobster gloves, though dexterity is lost.

StirlingCrispin

Something like North Face etip Pamir Windstoppe Gloves?

Work when wet too , are breathable and cut wind dead.

yohandsome
    Free Member

North face looks nice if a bit bulky, not avail anywhere it seems.

Shimanoā€™s S-phyre winter gloves seem to be what I want for a price, tested at 2C and getting 9/10, comes with a liner:
    https://road.cc/content/review/235138-shimano-s-phyre-winter-gloves

They have a cheaper option called windbreak thermal at Ā£30, but canā€™t find any reviews.

kerley
    Free Member

I have poor circulation and have to wear gloves even at 10 degrees to stop cold hands. When it is getting towards zero I am using ski gloves but then I donā€™t require ā€œgreat dexterity for sprint workoutsā€

DezB
    Free Member

Iā€™ve got some Aksium gloves, go down to 4-5deg and if money was no object would definitely look at the Cosmics. More than Iā€™m prepared to pay for gloves at Ā£55, but they look superb ā€“
    https://shop.mavic.com/en-gb/cosmic-pro-wind-glove-c4132.html#1028=3283

thepurist

Anyone used these from Stolen Goat?

https://stolengoat.com/product/stolen-goat-unisex-climb-and-conquer-4-seasons-full-length-cycling-gloves/

Iā€™ve got the Galibier gloves and have used them for commutes down to zero ish, the only grumble I have is that the tip of my thumb gets cold ā€“ not sure if thatā€™s the gloves or my thumbs though as itā€™s been the achilles heel (thumb) of everything Iā€™ve tried so far.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Thin gloves means little insulation.

The only thin(ish) gloves Iā€™ve had that worked in freezing temperatures are Glacier gloves perfect curves. Smell like **** after a few rides though, but a price worth paying.

yohandsome
    Free Member

I have the Mavic Aksiums, nice when itā€™s over 10C and they have held up well.

fd

jam-bo

surely its completely subjective?

I donā€™t really get cold hands, i surf all winter without gloves and only wear windstopper types gloves all winter, but i do get a cold right foot, the left one is generally fineā€¦

kerley
    Free Member

Yep, extremely. I am sat here in a 22 degree house and my hands are still very cold.

yohandsome
    Free Member

Itā€™s highly individual (donā€™t think the difference in how we subjectively feel cold varies that much): if youā€™re short and have fat fingers chances are you will do well.

I wear fingerless gloves inside sometimes..

shedbrewed
    Free Member

These Tempest Protect gloves from Bioracer work well for me, with the caveat that Iā€™m a warm person.
    https://shop-bioracer.co.uk/product/bioracer-one-tempest-pixel-protect-gloves/

yohandsome
    Free Member

Shimanoā€™s new Windbreak thermal glove also seems interesting, 106g so not too bulky and only Ā£30 if you can find it.

Shimanoā€™s Windbreak Thermal Reflective gloves were designed for maximum handlebar control in the cold months and feature a 3-ply chloroprene rubber compound for heat retention and high mobility.

Reflective
    Touch screen compatible
    Chloroprene rubber: heat retention and freedom of movement
    Metallic Thermal Tech
    PORONĀ® XRDā„¢ padding

Metallic Thermal Tech
    The skin-contacting surface of this fabric is imprinted with a metallic pattern that works to reflect infrared radiation released by the body. That radiation in turn warms up the layer of air between the fabric and the skin, thereby helping to keep the temperature inside clothing warm and comfortable.

gf

yohandsome
    Free Member

Tested the Oā€™neill 2mm neoprene gloves + silk liners one one and and gailbiers on the other, Oā€™neills significantly colder. Think for neoprene to be better you need at least 3 mm + fleece lining but at that point itā€™s not more dextrous.

Might just stick with the Galibiers + silk liners. No cake for me.

ransos
    Free Member

I have these: https://road.cc/content/review/254593-endura-pro-sl-primaloft-waterproof-glove

A good balance of warmth vs bulk, I find them great with low single digit temps, probably best with a thin liner below that.

jamiebkc

I guess the tricky thing with insulation vs. dexterity is that you need a stiff material to hold the insulation open as much as possible where your hand meets the bar.

My partner has pretty bad raynaudā€™s, I made her some of these with some powerstretch fleece:

https://www.climbers-shop.com/11107127/products/mountain-equipment-eclipse-wrist-warmersā€“cosmos.aspx?currency=GBP&chosenAttribute=80001627%20S/M&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI78-UlsSv7QIVybTtCh2gnQxiEAQYBiABEgK7q_D_BwE

https://www.terra-nova.co.uk/gloves-mitts/thermal-gloves-and-mitts/power-liner-wrist-gaiter/

She wears them for winter mountaineering and they keep her from losing feeling without adding any bulk. Probably worth a shot for under Ā£20.

yohandsome
    Free Member

I have these: https://road.cc/content/review/254593-endura-pro-sl-primaloft-waterproof-glove

fd

Looks like they could match the Galibiers in performance and be a bit sleeker, giving them a try ā€“ plus I use Endura Pro SL bibs which Iā€™m quite happy with.

My partner has pretty bad raynaudā€™s, I made her some of these with some powerstretch fleece:

Already use thin wrist warmers / gaiters from my baselayer šŸ™‚

ElShalimo

I have the Galibier Barrier gloves and I get cold hands occasionally when my hands have been too hot in them and I sweat. 20mins later the moisture cools my hands and I get cold fingertips.
    Do you think that you have the same issue or are your hands just cold all the time whilst riding?

Have you looked at the dissent modular gloves?
    https://www.dissent133.com/

yohandsome
    Free Member

Do you think that you have the same issue or are your hands just cold all the time whilst riding?

Hands are just cold all the time, I think for longer rides Iā€™d faire better, but I do a lot of interval cycling. Iā€™d be ok with the galibiers plus liners, just seeing if there are any better options.

Looked at the dissent system, see how the Enduraā€™s do first ā€“ they should be fine with the silk liners (so similar same concept and I have summer gloves that work well).

jamiebkc

ā€œAlready use thin wrist warmers / gaiters from my baselayer šŸ™‚ā€

Fair enough, I do think the dedicated units provide more warmth on a account of being properly form fitting tho.

slowol

I suffer from cold hands and tried all sorts of glove combinations when I used to go winter climbing but usually had to resort to liner gloves, mitts and over mitts.
    The main things that I found helped were synthetic liners gloves, silk are less good if damp and sweaty, wrist warmers/gaiters help and gloves need to be a size up to fit liners otherwise like adding a pair of socks in close fitting boots can result in colder feet. Tighter fitting gloves give colder fingers.
    Marmot liner gloves were my favorite but Iā€™m not sure whether anywhere still sells them.
    For cycling at zero celsius I find Aldi thick winter cycling glove (about the same thickness as ski gloves) Ok without liners and Ok but far from lace tying type dexterity.
    N.B. I normally wear mittens skiing as gloves are rarely warm enough.

tall_martin

I wear my grandad old sheepskin gloves I inherited 20 years ago.

Great in sub zero dry conditions. Fine for long road rides.

Not particularly thin.

MSP

Has anyone tried the DHB aeron alpha gloves? They look interesting.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-aeron-lab-all-winter-polartec-glove?sku=100612566

Daffy

What about the Sealskinz heated gloves?

yohandsome
    Free Member

Ordered the Shimano Winddbreaker thermals at 106g, just to test them vs the galibiers and enduras ā€“ see if their metal foil tech is any good.

DHB aeron not so great? https://road.cc/content/review/257596-dhb-aeron-lab-all-winter-polartec-glove

damitamit
    Free Member

Where did you order the Shimano windbreakers from?

Those DHBs with polartec alpha seem a good idea but the review thinks otherwise.

yohandsome
    Free Member

Where did you order the Shimano windbreakers from?

Got mine from Chainreaction uk, the black ones seems to be sold out a lot of places.

damitamit
    Free Member

Canā€™t see any Shimano gloves on CRCā€¦ Got a link?

chrisdb
    Free Member
    yohandsome
    Free Member

Ah sorry, I got the enduras at CRC.. https://www.bikeinn.com/bike/shimano-windbreak/137254509/p

teamslug
    Free Member

As mentioned ^ the Dissent 133 get good reviews. but Ā£95 for the Ultimate collection is a lot of cash but I like the idea of adjusting layers on the go. FWIW I use Aldi winter gloves with a liner and Galibier ones which are warmer. If its baltic iā€™ll put a hot hands foot warmer between liner and glove but only when i start to struggle as I overheat then!!

epicyclo

If you want dexterous and thin, then a simple set of pogies on your handlebars means you donā€™t need to spend a fortune on inadequate over-priced gloves. You can use anything reasonable. I use Ā£5 woolly gloves from Tesco in the 24 hours of the ā€˜Puffer because theyā€™re more breathable than anything else.

If a fashionable appearing bike is more important, crack on. šŸ™‚

yohandsome
    Free Member

If you want dexterous and thin, then a simple set of pogies on your handlebars means you donā€™t need to spend a fortune on inadequate over-priced gloves. You can use anything reasonable. I use Ā£5 woolly gloves from Tesco in the 24 hours of the ā€˜Puffer because theyā€™re more breathable than anything else.

You forgot aero šŸ˜‰ And the faff getting them on and off. Iā€™m not sure how dexterous it is to have your arms stuffed into them either even if you can wear thinner gloves.

I would however get a pair if I was crossing Antarctica on a fatbike.

fd

epicyclo

@yohandsome Blimey thatā€™s a crap design. Should be easy to use ā€“ those look a faff ā€“ as you said.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ā€˜Thin/dexterous winter gloves for 0C ā€“ Have your cake and eat it too? šŸ§¤šŸ°ā€™ is closed to new replies.