Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Them there Team GB supporters at the olympics
  • buckster
    Free Member

I wish they would wave their Union Jacks the right way up, makes me so mad

brakes
    Free Member

what makes me more mad is:
    1) that the designers of the flag didn’t make it more symmetrical
    3) that people GAF

dvatcmark
    Free Member

7 mins in and nobody has pointed out that it’s only the union jack when used at sea. Standards are dropping on here

Edric64
    Free Member

It`s a myth about only being the Union Jack at sea .I was corrected on that point

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If you’re going for pedantry, Olympics has a capital letter and you should always end a sentence with a full stop.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I wonder whether the Welsh, French, Germans, Russians, Americans, Brasilians, Spanish, Australians, etc, give as much of a toss about their own flags being held upside down.
    Probably not.

kennyp
    Free Member

Ah but (as far as I know) all those flags weren’t historically distress signals when upside down.

bearnecessities

Edit: I’m talking bollocks.

mikey74
    Free Member

I couldn’t give a crap about the flag, but I do dislike those team jackets: The ones with the vertically offset G/B (Froome was wearing one when he collected his medal). They look like something you’d buy from a tourist tat stall on a street corner in London.

allan23
    Free Member

Standards are dropping on here

Shirley the standard is being waved about.

BigJohn

Very good. Although technically wrong.

And what’s all this crap about “winning a bronze? You lost.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Surely they are Team UK if they are waving Union Flags. If they were Team GB they would be waving the flag of Great Britain

alpin
    Free Member

I see all those flag wavers and think “jingoists”….

Same goes for the Last Night of the Proms….

This is quite a recent line for me.

Since Brexit I’ve not worn my Union Jack underpants, nor my Union Jack socks (so long since i last wore them they are now at the bottom of the drawer)and my Union Jack onesie hasn’t been touched.

The Union Jack used to be seen as cool, representing as it does the United Kingdom, which was also thought of as cool. The UK’s image had taken a dive since June 23rd.

Nb, all from my perspective here in Germany and having spoken lots about the UK/Brexit with “foreigners”.

steveoath
    Free Member

Union jack was “cool”? Take it you never wore it in Glasgow then?

CountZero

The Union Jack used to be seen as cool, representing as it does the United Kingdom, which was also thought of as cool. The UK’s image had taken a dive since June 23rd.

Nb, all from my perspective here in Germany and having spoken lots about the UK/Brexit with “foreigners”.
    Sorry you’ve mistaken us ‘brexiteers’ ( 🙄 ) as someone who actually gives a shit what you think.
    In the meantime, we’ll happily let you and your German friends carry on bullying the Greeks.
    And it’s still the United Kingdom, more so since we’ll no longer be a party to one massive cluster**** of a misguided experiment in social engineering, designed to benefit nobody but the bankers and bureaucrats.
    T’was ever thus.

aracer
    Free Member

By extension.

Thanks for clarifying that!

BigJohn

I once heard Simon Mayo ask a team GB boss why it wasn’t team UK. The ins and outs and exceptions for both terms satisfied me that the better name had been chosen. Even though previously I had been shouting at the telly that it should be UK. Basically it’s only Norn Iron who have a legitimate grievance. Did you know some players of certain sports in “Ulster” still end up representing Ireland?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Cos they’re allowed to have dual nationality, like everyone else?

Northwind

BigJohn – Member

Basically it’s only Norn Iron who have a legitimate grievance.

Of course it’s only northern ireland that have a greivance, that’s the exact point.

BigJohn

Yes. That’s what I said.

Pyro

one massive cluster**** of a misguided experiment in social engineering, designed to benefit nobody but the bankers and bureaucrats.

Does that mean we’re getting rid of the Tory government as well then?

< lights blue touch paper, wanders off to stand well back… >

slimjim78
    Free Member

At least the bronze medal losers stuck around to sign autographs for the entire crowd. Took them about 4 minutes to wade through the fanatical mob.

rickmeister

CountZero » Sorry you’ve mistaken us ‘brexiteers’ ( ) as someone people who actually give s a shit what you anybody else thinks.

FIFY

fourbanger
    Free Member

Are people still admiring to voting for Brexit? All the ones I know are denying everything and hoping it won’t actually happen.

Euro
    Free Member

Could be worse i suppose, last year during the silly season, the Republic’s flag was flown upside down atop of one of the many local bonfires. Up yours Ivory Coast! Idiots 😆

Cos they’re allowed to have dual nationality, like everyone else?

No! Cos they don’t want God save the Queen as their National Anthem, or they live in a Nationalist area and it would be unwise to play for the enemy.

Watty

Nothing to do with dual nationality, more to do with geography. Ulster appears to have 9 counties only 6 of which are in N.I.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Look on the bright side, it could be

1 the barmy army and their mindless chanting and/or
    2 a band playing tunes from films about PoW camps

At least most of the flag wavers are family and friends who have made personal sacrifices to support the competitors. And they don’t appear to be pissed either. Double bonus.

Dark-Side

And it’s still the United Kingdom

Eh, where have you been since June 23rd? It is anything but.

mt
    Free Member

I see the whiners are out. Some of those supporters are the team mates of those in the event making some noise to help things along. Wish I could been there.

alpin
    Free Member

THM is right….

alpin
    Free Member

Count Zero… Touched a nerve?

DezB
    Free Member

Going to Brazil, to watch some sport. Must be quite expensive that.

Oh sorry, this is another (ANOTHER!!) Brexit thread now? 😥

avdave2

that the designers of the flag didn’t make it more symmetrical

But if it were symmetrical it would be impossible to tell if it was upside down. You obviously didn’t think that through did you.

jimdubleyou

I wish they would wave their Union Jacks the right way up, makes me so mad

Are you sure it’s not just the back?

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Them there Team GB supporters at the olympics’ is closed to new replies.