Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • The Yorkshire Diet is?
  • amodicumofgnar

Just seen sweets called Yorkshire Mix (think northern haribo) in the local garage. This ontop of Yorkshire Crisps in a different garage yesterday. Having had too long in the car between site visits I was wondering if you can have a (balanced) Yorkshire Diet rather than living on tea and puddings. Basic rules being the food or beverage has to have Yorkshire in its name or or be named after a place in Yorkshire.

Yorkshire Tea, Yorkshire Crisps, Yorkshire Pudding, Yorkshire Mix, Barnsley Chop, Wensleydale Cheese…

Any others? Anyone bothered? Any takers for a rival Lancs thread – Lancashire Tea really does exist!

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

You’ve not seen Yorkshire Mix before? They are amazing. I reckon I could go some time on a Yorkshire Diet..

amodicumofgnar

Never, the Yorkshire Crisps were good and the cheese is cracking.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

yorkshire diet? tha’ll get what tha’s given and gio’re bloody moaning

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yorkie bar!

ton

pontefract cakes, yum yum

igm

Yorkshire Mix (think northern haribo)

Thought Haribo did come from Yorkshire these days (Pontefract to be precise)

And has no one mentioned beer yet?

guitarmanjon
    Free Member

Lancashire hot p…oh hang on, wrong side of the dales.

domino

Rhubarb from the Rhubarb triangle.

headfirst
    Free Member

bradford = curry capital of the world

there’s your balanced diet sorted straight off

ajf
    Free Member

Yorkshire diet is mainly pie and dripping. All these named stuff is just tat for the tourists.

Apart from the tea! Yorkshire Tea – Quali-tea!

StuE
    Free Member

Dripping on toast hmmmm

johnhoo
    Free Member

Yorkshire Tea Loaf is quite tasty too.

“Yorkshire Mix” was always known as “Yorkshire Mixture” when I were a lad. I grew up in’t rhubarb triangle. We used to call the forcing sheds “tushy sheds” – although I have no idea why.

I work in Baaaarnsley now. It’s reet Yorkshire dahn thee’er, tha nos.

Betty’s Fat Rascals are rather nice, but would they fit in’t Yorkshire Diet? no mention of Yorkshire or any of its wonderful towns

johnhoo
    Free Member

beer. go on then, I’ll have a pint o Landlord. Or mebbe some Sheep. Or Theakstons. Or Copper Dragon, or Saltaire.

Just not f***ing Tetleys or John Smiths, please 😉

Pook

ooh timmy taylor. nice.

guitarmanjon
    Free Member

Sam Smiths? Cheap and definitely cheerful!

JonBurns
    Free Member

Ossett Brewery Treacle Stout (or any of their fine brews)

Damn shame about Terry’s Chocolate Oranges not been made in York anymore and Rowntree’s now part of Nestle.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Bassetts Liquorice Alsorts – made in Sheffield

jackthedog
    Free Member

All sounds like one of those fad diets to me.

I’m from Yorkshire and when I’m not down’t pit or working at steelworks for a penny a year I live on black pudding and dripping sandwiches wrapped in grease-proof paper, and either over-stewed, sugary tea, best bitter or pints of neat Henderson’s Relish.

Never did my old man any harm – he lived to the ripe old age of 47 before the rickets got him.

robbo1234biking

my other half’s Nan does something called Yorkshire salad which involves cabbage and spring onions and cream and is served cold with a roast dinner…

miketually
    Free Member

Chorley Cakes. Eccles Cakes.

Yorkshire terrier! I bet it tastes like chicken.

domino

Tsk Mike – Chorley and Eccles are on the ‘other side’.

We forgot Parkin, mmm parkin and tea post ride, deliciousness.

miketually
    Free Member

Tsk Mike – Chorley and Eccles are on the ‘other side’.

Are they? It’s all just down south to me 😉

oddjob
    Free Member

I think Haribo is German

igm

they have a factory shop in Pontefract – think they took over Basset’s (or somebody similar’s) factory there

mavisto
    Free Member

Anyone come across Yorkshire Curd Tart? Can’t begin to describe what it tastes like but I think it’s yummy. My GF lives in Skipton, I’m from tuther side o’pennines but hoping to become an honorary Yorkshireman soon if they accept my visa application. It’s a pain having to get the words to Ilkley Moor tattooed on my arse though!

jackthedog Thought you might like to know that the best Black Pudding supposedly comes from Bury in LANCASHIRE. Can’t stand the stuff myself but Lancashire pride and all that!

robbo1234biking

Yorkshire Curd Tart

Yeh it is rather delicious! My other half used to work for Betty’s so we always seem to get it from there!

domino

You’re right mavisto – the best black pudding comes from Lancashire (R.S Ireland). I am from the ‘other side’ but now reside in Yorkshire.

Have just eaten a fine example of the Yorkshire diet for lunch – 2 Stanforths Pork pies, so hot that the juice burns your chin when it runs out, and half a rhubarb pie. I should be fat, good job I ride bikes.

ton

also fish and chips are far better in yorkshire than anywhere else in the country,
    i once went in a chippy in surbiton when i was visiting my sister, i asked for ‘twice and 2 tea cakes’
    the bloke looked at me like i was a mong.
    i explained what i wanted and he replied in a mocknet accent ‘ nah pal, we only have rock salmon’

WTF is rock **** salmon.

and also the batter for the fish should be made with best bitter. 8)

Chase
    Free Member

Cheese with your christmas cake.

PS. Isn’t rock salmon better known as dogfish?

AndyP
    Free Member

Where are the tea plantations in Yorkshire? I can’t imagine anywhere where the plant would thrive.

mavisto
    Free Member

I agree that some of the best fish and chips come from Yorkshire, but you can’t get decent mushy peas to save your life.

On a slight aside, I’m originally from St Helens (and no I’m not a scouser). If you want chips and peas, it’s called a ‘Split’. I was in a chippy in Milton Keynes and one of my mates in a drunker haze asked for a split and a fish. The shout of LARGE or SMALL came from the back of the shop to everyone’s surprise. The owner was originally from St Helens and said he hadn’t heard the expression for nearly 15 years. We got free chips that night!

Chase
    Free Member

As a kid I was always impressed by the people that went into the chippy and asked for “Twice and a large peas”, translated as F&Cs twice and a large peas. I have never yet dared go in and just ask for “Twice”, “Once” etc, as i’m not sure it’s still a common practice.

In Bingley a cake is two slices of potato and a slice of fish battered. Three miles down the road in Keighley the same thing is called a scone.

mt
    Free Member

Yorkshire War Cry. “ow much” oft heard when said Yorkshire persons a buy food outside of Gods own county.

Try a pork pie from the butchers in Marsden, the shop is on the corner as get to the bottom of Wessenden. Possible the best pies ever!

glenh
    Free Member

chase – it think you’ll still get away with asking for ‘twice’ in bizzy lizzies in skipton

izakimak
    Free Member

My nan’s local chippy sells knob’s, there the trimmed bits of fish which have been battered and fried. I hate going in there for her, it’s not right asking for knob and chip’s. 😯

glenh
    Free Member

I think it’s not right that your nan wants knobs

Chase
    Free Member

Knob and chips LOL!

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘The Yorkshire Diet is?’ is closed to new replies.