Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • The Unthanks
  • noteeth
    Free Member

Going to see ’em very shortly at Bristol St George’s (which has lovely acoustics) – can’t wait!

Kahurangi

Lucky b’er! They’re local to me but never seen them 🙂

Leave feedback!

NikNak7890
    Free Member

I saw them at End of the road festival, The Unthanks and The Staves were amongst my favourite memories of the weekend.

mt
    Free Member

Seen em in Holmfith, the sisters are great but that silly cow who played the piano really detracted from their set. Highly recommend seeing them. Also recommend a small group call the She.

millsonwheels
    Free Member

I saw them in Exeter earlier this year. You are in for a real treat, they are just great live, it was a really friendly & intimate gig. With clog dancing! Enjoy 😀

noteeth
    Free Member

Well…. that was bludy amazing – spellbinding vocals, helped by a gorgeous venue and an absolute powerhouse of a brass band (the Brighouse & Rastrick – champion, as I believe they say up north). Very moving, too – not least when they played Robert Saint’s ‘Gresford’ (which is pretty much the colliery band equivalent of ‘Nimrod’) in tribute to the Welsh miners.

There were also moments of pure comedy – I loved the swing Manhattan version of ‘Queen of Hearts’…. 😀

CountZero

T’was good, wasn’t it. Seen them quite a few times, and I’m glad the pianist left, she rather unbalanced the band. (‘Yes, dear, we know you’re a lesbian, we don’t care, don’t keep on, just play the bloody piano!’) Gresford was just beautiful, and Simon’s ‘Man Tran’ solo was terrific. Met the band afterwards and had my CD signed too, which was nice.

noteeth
    Free Member

PSA: the Bristol gig (or parts of it) will be broadcast on Radio 2 Wed 9 November at 21.30.

Brighouse & Rastrick Band & The Unthanks

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ooh look Comrade Noteeth look what I have what you want…

You want them, don’t you?

Yes, you do…

noteeth
    Free Member

I own several pairs of ’em, Fred – sufficient to see me through the coming apocalypse, and into the new world that awaits. 8)

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ah, but do any of yours have that rare, fabled ‘8th click’? 😉

noteeth
    Free Member

All of them.

Mind you, I tend to run ’em on friction. I don’t really move with the times, tbh.

2tyred

Nice one, excellent PSA!

Really wanted to go to a show on that tour, but there were none in Scotland and the dates just didn’t work for the ones anywhere near. The Unthanks are amazing.

brassneck

not least when they played Robert Saint’s ‘Gresford’ (which is pretty much the colliery band equivalent of ‘Nimrod’) in tribute to the Welsh miners.

Wish I’d been there – my great grandfather and his brother were two of the 6 who climbed out of Gresford.

See also Seth Lakemann – The Colliers on freedom Fields, cracking song.

noteeth
    Free Member

my great grandfather and his brother were two of the 6 who climbed out of Gresford

Blimey.

It was very moving – to quote the Unthanks: “Bludy Hell, how are we supposed to follow that?”

derek_starship
    Free Member

I’m gonna have a listen to The Unthanks. I like a bit of folk.

I may be back later to thank you for the heads up.

brassneck

Actually, it probably is a good job I wasn’t, I’d have been blubbing.

Gresford that has indirectly lead to me having a nice safe comfy office job rather than risking my life every day for enough to feed the family.

Rest in peace the 266 who didn’t make it out. 🙁

souldrummer
    Free Member

The Gresford Disaster by the Albion Band has always had a great effect on me. Not heard Gresford mentioned above. Found out loads here:

http://riseuplikethesun.tripod.com/id17.html

noteeth
    Free Member

From the link:

The Chronicle reporter writes “As the pit cage wheels turned, the large crowds were scattered over the pit banks, and all over the colliery yard, and the highest bank was thick with silent men standing in the rain, waiting and watching. The saddest confirmation was soon available. The wheels of the winding shaft began their revolutions once more, and I saw two of the rescue party brought up – dead”. There was a call for 20 volunteers, and 100 men stepped forward.

Hard to do justice to such events & the memory of those who died – but Robert Saints (himself a miner) surely achieved that. An incredibly powerful piece of music.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘The Unthanks’ is closed to new replies.