Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 288 total)
  • The ultimate MTB transport
  • weeksy

And what happens when you want to stop for food? Or it rains? Or an overnight stay in a B&B?

jamesoz

hot_fiat

I had my old Stinky in my Cinq a few times, but there’s no way the alpine or whyte would fit. Especially now with the scaffolding

I used to be able to get two MTBs in my 944 turbo. Nowadays bikes are so much bigger I can only get one in. Although it does also take a spare set of wheels, tools and luggage.
    I’m not sure I could bring myself to spend my own money on a van, having had company vans for years. Like the idea of an XC90, had a quick look at prices. Nearly 2k for broken ones!
    Our £300 (8years ago) Astra G 1.6 estate is looking more and more of a bargain!

boardmanfs18

Honda Element, if only they still made them

RustyNissanPrairie

Like the idea of an XC90, had a quick look at prices. Nearly 2k for broken ones!

Brilliant cars but there are a few expensive potential faults with them, the facelift 2010+ models are better and also lower VED.

hooli

In the same response to the SUV thread, you don’t need anything more than a saloon car with a 4 bike roof rack

You also don’t need to go mountain biking at all, that saves money on the car, the fuel and the bike itself but that wasn’t the question. Life would be very boring sitting at home in my cold house (because I don’t need central heating) eating beans on toast (because I don’t need fancy food). Think of all the money I will have in my bank account when I’m dead or too old to enjoy weekends away riding bikes.

ta11pau1

Been trying to find Caravelles with the spec I want, they’re thin on the ground for sure. I think finding one with the led headlights, adaptive cruise AND the air heater is going to be like finding rocking horse poo, and if I do see one I’ll sort of have to accept the mileage/condition etc, unless I want to wait another 6 months for another one to come up…

So I’ve got a price to fit an aftermarket heater system, with a second battery and charger, it’s about £2400 Inc VAT and fitting on my drive 😬 Was hoping it would be £1500 max which would make it more of an option. It is still an option of course. Tbh it’s only another £1100 to have a solar panel, hookup and 2x plug sockets installed at the same time so I’d probably get that done too.

Luckily I’m not in any rush… 🤣

5lab

full led headlights look like they’re about £3-400 a side on ebay, might be a cheaper option

ta11pau1

full led headlights look like they’re about £3-400 a side on ebay, might be a cheaper option

Finding one with led headlights isn’t an issue tbh, it’s the secondary heater. And the aftermarket headlights arent actually full LED, they’re LED DRL but halogen projector main and dipped beam.

Not a fan of aftermarket stuff like that, especially headlights. It’s £3k+ to have the factory LED headlights retrofitted.

towpathman

£2400 buys a lot of nights in hotels when it’s cold enough to need the heater, surely?

ta11pau1

£2400 buys a lot of nights in hotels when it’s cold enough to need the heater, surely?

That’s true, however part of the reason I’m looking at a van is to be able get away for weekends at short notice just being able to book a campsite/find a parking spot for the night, and pay £5-20 per night Vs £90-100 per night. And yes, it might only be 4-5 times a year I’d need the heater when camping, maybe.

You can use the heater for pre-heating the van in the morning, or coming back to a warm van after a freezing cold ride too, so it’s not just useful when camping.

Looks like if I travel to have it fitted at Autoterm themselves it’s £1650 for the heater and 2nd battery & charger combined, which is a a fair bit cheaper. At that price, if I book a hotel/airbnb over a campsite 20 times that would be the heater paid for.

I think I’ll keep the factory heater high up on my want list, but if a van comes up which is perfect otherwise I know I’ll be able to get it fitted afterwards.

weeksy

You can use the heater for pre-heating the van in the morning, or coming back to a warm van after a freezing cold ride too, so it’s not just useful when camping.

HOw much more useful than a pair of heated seats though ? Or a heated Windscreen ? (Both found on Transit Customs)

I find even on the coldest days, the heated seats make a massive difference to instant warmth when getting in.

5lab

Finding one with led headlights isn’t an issue tbh, it’s the secondary heater. And the aftermarket headlights arent actually full LED, they’re LED DRL but halogen projector main and dipped beam.

Not a fan of aftermarket stuff like that, especially headlights. It’s £3k+ to have the factory LED headlights retrofitted

I was talking about genuine second hand parts. Not sure how hard they are to retrofit, might just be plug and play or might need a switch flicked with some software. Eg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155298152608?hash=item24287dc0a0:g:6xkAAOSwyo1jkZf9&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoIZy4VZ0eS5c4XsAgxTd5r2ijc0xfgnav3uHiUuVL5ywTmrOTTjROlcepVSTzyoFNYnr6dU0lFMrP0NbxfLmOGqSTWEU8JGTI9IsTyf7IUwePdWBXbDq%2F2kqUpk8STLdgjlc5fyyOFEJdWQx5oXV8oA6dXDm52iR4XOUxZ6IlCY0EuDmuM0x50AeUbaIQgCC9g43hRBxNzxAsgVKZrKBUuk%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR_qKu6_XYQ

a11y

I find even on the coldest days, the heated seats make a massive difference to instant warmth when getting in.

Mine are never off for a good part of the year. They’re not comparable to a diesel-fired heater though – we had a webasto in our previous campervan and it was superb. Utterly fierce on full power, good thermostat control, and quiet. I’ve love one in my Transit but it’s only ever used as a ‘day van’ so not a huge need. For camping though, essential for me.

ta11pau1

I was talking about genuine second hand parts. Not sure how hard they are to retrofit, might just be plug and play or might need a switch flicked with some software. Eg

Ahh ok, from a quick look they’re very much not a plug and play option. As I said though, finding one specced with LEDs from the factory isn’t that hard.

For the heater, I may end up buying a van in summer and seeing if I need it during autumn/winter and then having one fitted next winter.

z1ppy

How much more useful than a pair of heated seats though ? Or a heated Windscreen ?

There both lovely options, and both are options available on VW too.. but not taken as often as on Fords. Also not sure how either would be useful compared to a warm van after a cold ride, or sleeping in it over night. Added is the fact that caravelle’s are listed as car, so no worrying about van speed limits unlike a transit. I mentioned this to a friend this weekend, who’d gone from an (old) T5 kombi (M1)) to a LWB Transit (N1), he had not even been aware…

weeksy

so no worrying about van speed limits unlike a transit. I mentioned this to a friend this weekend, who’d gone from an (old) T5 kombi (M1)) to a LWB Transit (N1), he had not even been aware…

I’m aware of them but don’t really see where they come into play in the real world.
    Built-up areas: 30mph – the same as a car
    Single carriageway: 50mph – 10mph less than a car
    Dual carriageway: 60mph – 10mph less than a car
    Motorway: 70mph – the same as a car

Possibly only the single 50mph limit may be an issue. The rest, well i only sit at 62 on a dual, which is 60 real-world.. I can’t think of a single carriageway where i’m likely to want more than 50mph

hot_fiat

Have you looked at a california beach? Should have most things you want, but it will only have 1 side door and no leather. LEDs were optional. Most were speced without the side pods and caravelle seating.

ta11pau1

The Executive spec caravelle I’m looking for has both the heated screen and heated seats as standard. Neither will help when it’s -2 degrees on a campsite in Exmoor and I’m freezing my nuts off though…

I still remember camping in an Exmoor valley in September and it getting down to a couple of degrees overnight.

Have you looked at a california beach? Should have most things you want, but it will only have 1 side door and no leather. LEDs were optional. Most were speced without the side pods and caravelle seating.

Briefly, and the pop top would be awesome but that would mean mega budget creep, £50k for one realistically. I know they hold their value well.

And spec wise, they’re far worse – no leather, few with LEDs, and I’d still need to get rid of the sole rear bench seat for 2x/3x single rear seats which seems a bit wrong in a California.

a11y

Added is the fact that caravelle’s are listed as car, so no worrying about van speed limits unlike a transit.

The Ford equivalent of the Caravelle is the Tourneo Custom, not a Transit Custom, and is also listed as a car. No difference in speed limit to a Caravelle.

Transit Custom Double-Cab-In-Vans like mine (equivalent to a VW T6 Kombi) are seen by some as a grey area: they’re classed as vans but also meet the dual-purpose vehicle criteria which means they could travel at car speed limits, similar to the likes of double-cab pickups. I don’t risk it.

I can’t think of a single carriageway where i’m likely to want more than 50mph

I can think of plenty, one for me being the A9 north of Perth. If you stick to 50mph you’ll often get tailgated by HGVs who’re allowed to travel at 50mph on the same road. Not fair but that’s the law.

ta11pau1

I’m aware of them but don’t really see where they come into play in the real world.
    Built-up areas: 30mph – the same as a car
    Single carriageway: 50mph – 10mph less than a car
    Dual carriageway: 60mph – 10mph less than a car
    Motorway: 70mph – the same as a car

Possibly only the single 50mph limit may be an issue. The rest, well i only sit at 62 on a dual, which is 60 real-world.. I can’t think of a single carriageway where i’m likely to want more than 50mph

I agree it’s not a massive pain, I just totted up the motorway Vs non motorway miles on a drive from Kent to Aberfeldy, on my normal A1 route and it works out about 30 mins longer when traveling at 10mph less on the non motorway sections. I don’t think I’d be sitting at 70 mph in my car most of the time though tbh, more likely to be cruising along at 65/67mph.

A moot point though as I’m only looking at the car versions – tourneo/caravelle etc which have normal car speed limits.

Don’t forget the 50p extra on the Dart charge per crossing! 🤣 I’m guessing some ferries etc are more for vans than cars.

I can think of plenty, one for me being the A9 north of Perth. If you stick to 50mph you’ll often get tailgated by HGVs who’re allowed to travel at 50mph on the same road. Not fair but that’s the law.

I was thinking of that exact road too, even being up there for 2 weeks I lost count of the times I was sat in a line of traffic at 50mph waiting for a DC section to appear. On the plus side, you’d not have any traffic in front of you…

jamiemcf

All this chat about speed restrictions in vans. Morals and the legal aspects aside. Has anyone ever been stopped for using a van at car speeds?

In 20+ years of driving vans I’ve been stopped on the isolated occasions I have marginally exceeded the limit. I imagine the folk rocketing past me do so as they’ve never been stopped

a11y

Honda Element was a new one to me – didn’t know these existed. Got potential to be really useful for MTB transport. Reminds me of the Skoda Yeti but even more practical. Not bad for a 20+ year old design.

a11y

All this chat about speed restrictions in vans. Morals and the legal aspects aside. Has anyone ever been stopped for using a van at car speeds?

It’s more the average speed cameras that I think would be an issue. I, generally, obey van speed limits: 55mph on single (52mph on GPS) and 65mph on dual (61mph on GPS). Even at those speeds other vans hurtle past me at above not just van speed limits but car limits to. Do they all get penalised by the average speed cameras? Perhaps yes, perhaps no.

Father-in-law got a ticket for exceeding van speed limit on a dual section of the A30 in a hire van. Claimed he didn’t know vans have lower speed limits than cars but I dont believe him. Occupation: car dealer…

RustyNissanPrairie

Honda Element was a new one to me – didn’t know these existed. Got potential to be really useful for MTB transport. Reminds me of the Skoda Yeti but even more practical. Not bad for a 20+ year old design.

Similar to a MK1 Nissan Prairie of a similar era, the Mk1 Honda Stpwagon was good as well before it went a bit blingy. The Berlingo is the modern equivalent.

5lab

Honda Element was a new one to me

dont exist in the uk, and afaik in RHD

5lab

dont exist in the uk, and afaik in RHD

ah i’m wrong about the RHD bit it seems

sharkattack

This thread has got me looking at all kinds of weird nonsense. Now that I can’t drive my van from one side of Sheffield to the other I need to start thinking outside of the box.

Early Stepwagons look cool but I bet they’re a thirsty beast. Couldn’t even consider running an Elgrand.

I like the look of this but don’t know anything about them…http://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/657075219110150/

Kamakazie

People seem to get 25-30mpg. ut of early Stepwagons in 2.4l guise which is about what I’ll average in my 2l CVT 2011 version.

jamesoz

Kamakazie

People seem to get 25-30mpg. ut of early Stepwagons in 2.4l guise which is about what I’ll average in my 2l CVT 2011 version

That’s not bad, that’s 2015ish Transit custom mpg, plus petrol is cheaper and less smelly, clattery awfulness.
    I’ve never owned a diesel and never will. Had plenty of company diesel vans though.

mashr

Has anyone ever been stopped for using a van at car speeds?

My Mrs got done for doing 70 in a 70 (dual carriageway) by a camera van. So there’s one for you

mashr

ah i’m wrong about the RHD bit it seems

I thought they were USA (LHD) only so that’s kinda interesting. Always had a bit of a soft spot for them too

colp

Just catching up on this thread.
    Regarding the pre-heater, I’ve picked up a second hand Eberspaecher (from a Vito like mine). I’m having to botch it a bit as the van isn’t coded and doesn’t have the dash button or Mercedes remote receiver but I’ve sussed out a way to install/control it. Total cost will be around £300.
    I’ll update in here when it’s all installed.

ta11pau1

I’ve been checking autotrader/VW approved used website/eBay daily and today is the first time a caravelle has come up with the ‘right’ spec of LED lights, Adaptive cruise control, and the ultra rare secondary diesel air heater…

2016, so a bit older than I’d have wanted, 150ps and 4motion (probably the perfect combo), low 17k miles and only £32k which is very cheap for any T6 Caravelle! Nice colour too. Interior colour could be tricky to find the single seats for, and tricky seeking the rear bench as most have the black interior.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/van-details/202303125166025?atmobcid=soc3

But… it’s a private seller, 5hrs drive away in Merseyside! 🤣

That’ll be snapped up by a dealer within a few days and back up for sale at £5k more, I guarantee it.

a11y

Pfft, 5hrs is nothing – get it bought!

Or is it more the Merseyside aspect rather than distance?

(I accept it’s not the same for everyone, but where I am I’ve usually got to travel for the best cars – furthest was a 960-mile round trip to Torquay and back)

Looks a nice van. That side step though… how are you supposed to fit the mandatory sidebars with that in the way? 🤣

towpathman

Agreed 5 hours for such a large purchase isn’t that big a deal. Set off at 7, you’ll be there by lunchtime

sharkattack

Jump on the train and go get it man. I’ve done solo trips to the ends of the UK for daft stuff like Opel Manta’s and a £400 Volvo 240. It’ll be a good day out.

ta11pau1

Yeah the distance isn’t that much of an issue, it’s more the private seller thing, I want a warranty and will need to part ex my car, so private is just a no-go.

If it was a VW approved used vehicle then I’d have no issues with travelling that far, or further! Happily do a road trip up to Scotland for the right car.

On closer inspection that car doesn’t have the intake vent in the drivers footwell for the heater so it might not actually have the factory specced heater option, might just be the control panel has been retrofitted.

rickmeister

Worth considering a non-erbesbacher vehicle as I believe the heater emissions will count towards the VED category and may bump you up a class if fitted. T5 174 I had was 2grams CO2 below the next banding. With a diesel heater, it would have been in the next VED band.

ta11pau1

Worth considering a non-erbesbacher vehicle as I believe the heater emissions will count towards the VED category and may bump you up a class if fitted. T5 174 I had was 2grams CO2 below the next banding. With a diesel heater, it would have been in the next VED band.

Cheers, I think that only applies to cars registered pre-April 2017, and even then it means £220 a year Vs £265 (I think) so not a huge amount. Post April 2017 (I’m aiming to get something no older than my 2017 car) it’s a flat rate of £165, plus the extra £355 for 5 years from end of year 1 (so if it was registered 1st April 2017 it’d be back to £165 by now, £520 due in 2018, 19, 20, 21, 22).

Didn’t realise they included the optional heater in the emissions totals though.

That blue one might even be a 204 going by the all red TDi lettering.

hot_fiat

checked it on gocompare and its returning as a 150. I didn’t think they did a 4motion 150 though. Wouldn’t be the first time VW have incorrectly registered a vehicle.

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 288 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.