• This topic has 2,363 replies, 165 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Tom-B.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,481 through 1,520 (of 2,364 total)
  • The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2012-2013 season
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Michael, try JP at Snow and Rock in Covent Garden. Best to go on a week day, though. V busy at weekends. He’s a very good fitter.

Not sure who’s fitting at High St Ken now that Neil and Chris have left, they did superb work on mine and Mrs CFH’s boots.

So, JP at Covent Garden, or else a trip to Chertsey, see if you can get either Jonny or Colin to fit if you’re there.

Never tried ProFeet, but seem to get mixed reviews (As many do!), but have heard v good things about both Finches and Solutions4Feet (In Bicester)

sprootlet
    Free Member

Anyone going to Tignes or Val next weekend? Never met anyone from STW and thought it might be a laugh to try and meet up for a run or 2……

CFH – any ideas on boots for dinky feet, I need 21.5 and got no joy at my local ski shop or Ellis Brigham Covent Garden, in fact EB were so uninterested it was funny. I got asked if I was sure that was my size, at 42yrs old I replied yes, they stopped growing decades ago 🙂

jamiep
    Free Member

Going to Tignes the weekend after.

ANy recommendations for off-piste at Tignes / Espace Killy? I have been snowboarding for ~12 years so most routes shouldn’t be a problem. I have found this website

Edukator
    Free Member

Remember my comments about Go-Pro users? Well, last week the conditions were really dodgy. You know, 20cms of fresh on verglas and the isotherm going up. Not the conditions to do a run down an avalanche-prone couloir to post on Youtube. Just the go-Pro mind, no ARVA or RECCO reflector (a lot cheaper than a Go-Pro). Somebody filming their own death is tragic in every sense of the word. La République

Edit: so sorry, no off-piste suggests for Tignes. However, the slack-country run back to Tignes from the glacier is excellent and relatively safe.

Spin
    Free Member

ANy recommendations for off-piste at Tignes / Espace Killy?

Tignes off piste guidebook

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

CFH – any ideas on boots for dinky feet, I need 21.5 and got no joy at my local ski shop or Ellis Brigham Covent Garden, in fact EB were so uninterested it was funny.

If you’re in London, try a trip out to S&R in Chertsey. They have a great range of kiddie boots in.

Salomon X3, Fischer Vacuum? Both come in a 22, which could work with some shaping/custom moulding. Proper bling boots, but you may find the flex, being designed for ickle people, may be too soft. Unless you’re also very ickle yourself! 🙂

Bunnyhop

michaelmcc – Ah yes, the code of skiing seems to be ignored by most people who think they don’t need lessons. Imo, it’s just a courtesy to make sure no one is coming along before you set off. Also snowboarders sitting in the middle of the piste, just under the brow of a hill, alo dangerous.

One last thing please be careful even riding off piste at the side of a piste. We saw an avalance 2 seasons ago in La Plagne. It wiped out some very experienced racers (aged 16 and under), they were training with their 2 coaches and one was seriously injured (coma) and the other one spent a couple of nights in hospital. The emergency services were amazing, however it was sobering to watch it all unfold. I was physically shaking for ages after. At the time we were on a chairlift and powerless to do anything. Only at the top could we alert the lift chap to send out extra help, although the coaches involved were onto their radios straight away.

I’ve only ever seen 2 avalances in my life and both took out some skiers.

sprootlet
    Free Member

Thanks Flashy, I’ll have a look. As you said the problem with kids boots is that they’re made for lighter people. Nearly 5′ 3″ but with stupidly small feet …..
    i did try a salomon race boot and I could flex it to the point that the plastic was digging in the front of my ankle

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Nearly 5′ 3″

Shortarse! 😉

Another option (But not cheap!) would be going custom – http://www.dalebootusa.com/products.html

Salomon do the X3 in a 110 flex, starting at a 22. Not sure who stocks that, though. As before, proper fitting/bumpers/footbed/moulding etc would make a boot like that really work, I’d say.

singletrackmind

Agreed
    A flex rating of 110 without a custom fit liner or footbed might be nightmarish. The stiffness would transmit all sorts of pain to your sole. If your only 5’3~ then you can probably get away with a softer boot, weight and leverage have an effect on flex

Off piste in Tignes?
    Lots on the way down to La Daille in the trees, cant remember much else. Good run down behind the eye of the needle if it snows too.

proutster
    Free Member

Just booked a week in Serre Chevalier for w/c Sat 9th March 🙂

CFH, your recommendations for my New York trip were spot-on, so let’s hope they are for skiing as well 😆

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

No pressure then…! 😯

I’ve typed it all before, but always willing to provide more Serre Che tips if need be! Where are you staying?

Spin
    Free Member

CFH – Have you off pisted or toured at Serre? I’m thinking about driving out to alps in my easter hols (28th March to 14th April).

Haven’t decided on a venue. To your knowledge is Serre good for those activities at those times?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

OP and Slack rather than Tour, to be honest. There’s loads of the former and masses of the latter. Some of the runs through the treeline are astonishing.

That time of year, I’m afraid to say that almost all the OP will be tracked out, slack even more so. Unless there’s been a big dump of fresh of course.

That said, La Grave is just up the road……

I’d say that Serre Che may be a little low down for touring that late season, though. The pistes are so well maintained it’s almost untrue, and late season skiing there is a joy in the sunshine and blue skies, but once you’re off the beaten track, it may be a little rough. Bear in mind that Serre Che gets a LOT of sunshine.

proutster
    Free Member

We’re in Chantemerle (following your recommendations again), staying at chalet Les Marmottes.

The address is “22, Rue du centre” – so my rudimentary French says that’s pretty central then 😉

I know that this is the eternal question, but will the snow still be OK in March? Seems like most of the skiing’s above 2000m, so my experiences in Tignes in March say it should be fine – agreed?

sweaman2
    Free Member

Don’t really contribute to this thread as in Canada and mainly ski the back country but very pleased with this photo. If anybody is coming over to Canada though will be happy to answer any questions. We’ve not had much snow for a couple of weeks but the forecast for this coming week is more promising.

Mount Sparrowhawk by Mark and Liz in Canada, on Flickr

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Proutster, in March, you’ll find that it gets HOT! As in, seeking out shade to keep cool. That said, the pistes tend to hold up very well, apart from those on the Briancon side which get pretty bare pretty early.

Best bet is to get up first lift, blat down the Alphand while it’s pisted and empty, and then stay high, above the Serre Ratier level, and (looking at the map!) anywhere from the Prorel lift to the right. Monetier end of the valley can get icy towards the end of the day, but still a nice challenge. Then simply download on the Bletonet lift at the end of the day (Unless there’s been some fresh, in which case cruise the Briance green and intersperse with more Alphand!) Then, beer or pastis at La Terrasse!

You’re a little way down the road from the main lift centre, but a nice flat walk. If you can, get a ski locker at the foot of the Bletonet. Then have coffee with Sandrine while doing your boots up!

mugsys_m8
    Free Member

Spin,

what sort of ‘touring’ are you after? Day hits?, 1/2 day hits? multi-day? I’m nearby ish (Grenoble) and mainly interested in ski de rando but use the pistes for technique improvements (still a long way to go and most people would think I’m mad to ski away form the pistes with my skills, but I’ve approached it form a mountaineer perspective who is learning to ski rather than the other way.

There’s plenty of Ski de Rando around the Serre Che area, but less so from the resort itself. Domes de Monestier is the one that springs to mind. Otherwise there’s Combeynots etc from the Col du Lauteret, La Grave etc as CFH suggests, both also on the mountains between the Grenoble-Briancon road and the Ailefroide valley or stuff on the other side of the main road around the col du Galibier dropping down to Valloire.

You have deeper into les Ecrins NP form St Christophe, La Bérade, Plevoux, Aileforide then you’re into the realms of Ceillac and then the Queyras etc as you head south form Briancon.

Go to the topos on http://www.skitour.fr.

Otherwise closer to Grenoble you have the Belledonne, the Chartreuse,Taillfer and Maythesine blah blah

TheDTs
    Free Member

Spin, many options for touring up the valley from Serre Che, around the Col De Lauteret & Galibier, Heading home mid March it was really busy up there at the weekend, no parking space! Get in there mid week should be fine.

proutster
    Free Member

CFH – thanks, sounds just what we want; snow and sun.

Cheers for the tips – can’t wait now. Too long to wait 🙁

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Too long? Try waiting over a year!

Little Miss CFH better have her snow legs growing!

As before, many tips already on here, but more than happy to provide again if needed!

Spin
    Free Member

but I’ve approached it form a mountaineer perspective who is learning to ski rather than the other way.

Sounds like we’ve come at it from the same direction. Quite comfortable on steep slopes and out in the mountains but waiting for the technique to catch up!

TBH I haven’t got any real plans as I don’t even have someone to go with, just looking for ideas. I’ll be happy as long as I can get skiing away from the pistes and in the real mountains.

Cheers for the topo link.

Woody
    Free Member

Bardonecchia!!

Looks good for myself and GF (her 1st ski holiday) so obviously want it to be as pleasant an experience as possible. Probably self catering as some attractive deals for 1st week feb.

Opinions please and any experiences of ski school would be useful.

Cheers in advance

Bunnyhop

Regarding holidays in March – We’ve always been lucky in European resorts in the last few years, having had plenty of snow.
    Even in April you could stike gold with the white stuff. Not sure what will happen this season.

hammerite
    Free Member

We usually have a 2nd trip the first week of Easter school hols. If lucky it’s last weekend of March/first week of April like this year and last. We’ve had enough snow (of varying quality!) to ski a lot. There was pretty poor cover lower down one year in Les Arcs, still plenty up high – although it was quite crowded as a result.

proutster
    Free Member

Bunnyhop

Regarding holidays in March – We’ve always been lucky in European resorts in the last few years, having had plenty of snow.
    Even in April you could stike gold with the white stuff. Not sure what will happen this season.

Agreed, but whenever we’ve gone in March we’ve gone high with glaciers (Tignes etc.) just in case, so mildly concerned about going lower (Serre Che) – especially with all of the warm weather in the Alps at the moment.

But hey, no point in worrying about what you can’t control – it’ll be what it’ll be 😀

hammerite
    Free Member

Usually the snow can be 1m+ thick and well bashed down (nightly). It takes quite a long time for it to disappear, even with lower resorts. This leads to the strip of snow to ski down while everything is green around effect 🙂 Granted it might get sugary/wet as the day goes on, but still good fun.

March is still pretty much high season for most areas so should be fine.

stevomcd
    Free Member

especially with all of the warm weather in the Alps at the moment.

A couple of days of mild weather in January will have no bearing whatsoever on the conditions in March.

And it’s not that mild either. Warm enough in the sun, but pretty cold in the shade. Mild in January <> Mild in March!

cobrakai

Off to whistler on sat! My other half worked 2 seasons out there a few years ago. She bought a guide book for the slopes but is still struggling to remember her favorite runs. Any of you in this fine brain trust have any recommendations, not just about the slopes?

wallop

Not done a torchlit descent before. Is it worth doing if the opportunity arises?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Not done a torchlit descent before. Is it worth doing if the opportunity arises?

Hell yeah! Great giggles.

GrahamS

Still prefer the original, sport orientated format, but hey, it’s all good!

Wish they’d bring back High Altitude (in addition to Ski Sunday) – really liked that show, especially the one where they went on the cross-country snowmobile trek across Iceland.

nbt

WOOOOOOOOOOOT

Must remember to series link it, and to set the red button coverage to record too.

Bunnyhop

Ah yes torch lit descent. Yep do it. One should tick all the boxes.

In the ‘old’ days we did in fact use torches. The wax ended up all over my boots, skies and ruined a perfectly decent C&A all in one suit. Furry detachable hood, bit like a flying Swede 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

perfectly decent C&A all in one suit. Furry detachable hood, bit like a flying Swede

POIDH.

🙂

luffy105
    Free Member

aaah, torchlit descents…

Spent many a year organising these for drunken Uni students in Les Arcs, Tignes and Val Thorens….. some fantastic sights and memories. Too many good stories from those, especially from the Arpette restaurant in Les Arcs.

Also got to do the instructors torchlit decsent in Val d’Isere (I’m not an instructor) down the Face after a few too many Genepy chasers. Fair to say I proper sh1t myself that night…

GrahamS

In the ‘old’ days we did in fact use torches. The wax ended up all over my boots, skies and ruined a perfectly decent C&A all in one suit.

Surely open fire and a nylon onesie is a bad mix 😉

Bunnyhop

Keep saying that I’ll get out some of the old photos and post them up.

Fashion Faux pas includes a pair of tight skiing trousers, a little like Capri pants with the strap that goes under the foot and rubs in your boots.
    Awful Nevica silver 2 piece, the glare off that would melt the snow.
    Apart from that I’m a picture of sartorial elegance – not!

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Off to whistler on sat! Any of you in this fine brain trust have any recommendations, not just about the slopes?

Cobrakai – Hmmmm I have some fav spots, but it’ll cost ye 😛 .

Well to start with, it depends what kind of stuff you like, but some of my favs include Harmony Ridge, go up Harmony chair and then traverse along the ridge, take any of the horse shoes down, they’re all fun! The first 2 that are probably the gnarliest take longer to get tracked out, best to pick your line from the chair lift up.
    Another nice one is if you turn right after getting off Harmony and hike up there, just a 5-10 minute hike, then you head off that ridge towards the huge restaurant, Roundhouse.
    Flute bowl is usually nice if you don’t mind the 45 min hike up from the top of Symphony, there’s usually a boot track up.
    Spankys has to be done, can’t remember exactly what chair its off, but its on Blackcomb,.. maybe jersey cream or glacier express?! Coulier extreme if a bit of fun too, on Blackcomb also. That should get you started 😉 .

Viewing 40 posts - 1,481 through 1,520 (of 2,364 total)

The topic ‘The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2012-2013 season’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM