• This topic has 2,363 replies, 165 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Tom-B.
Viewing 40 posts - 641 through 680 (of 2,364 total)
  • The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2012-2013 season
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Right. Where does one buy one some boots?

Where are you based? Plenty of great boot fitters around.

Remember, don’t pre-choose on brand, style or (shudders) colour! Let the fitter guide you to the right boot for you.

wallop

Bristol. I think we have Ellis Brigham and Snow and Rock, but I don’t know if these are any good or not. I might be able to purchase in London if it is really worth the trip (I visit for work a lot).

michaelmcc
    Free Member

I think mbydmt wins with that purchase list!!!! Can anyone beat it? 😀

And what skis did you buy anyway?

And wallop, I had a fantastic boot fitting session done a few years ago at Pro-Feet in London, I’ve heard mixed things about the place but they sorted me right out (before that I’d be in pretty much constant pain from my boots, for the 1st few days of the week anyway).

Edukator
    Free Member

Given the carnage in today’s Coupe du Monde I think I’ll take it easy first time out.

To mbydmt’s list I can add a third pair of skis, a skin suit, lots of waxes, knee/shin protectors and three pairs of ski crampons, but will be making do with last year’s ski pants, sunnies, boots and pack.

mbydmt
    Free Member

Edukator – good work! I’m in two minds between whether to get waxing iron/edging tools etc. or not as I’m doing a season starting tail end of next month. New kit is nice 🙂

Forgot to add new boots as well 😆

EDIT: MichaelMCC

Got some Line Prophet Skis with Marker Griffon bindings (skis £165 from edgeandwax, bindings £120 from my-race (gloucester ski slope)) All new.

And some COREupt Caspers (£80 from Sport-conrad delivered) with Squire Marker 11 bindings (£64 from Snowinn with some discount) all new.

Tried the COREupts on the dry slope 3 times this week, trying the lines out tomorrow

dab

@edukator
    Loving the apocalypse snow pic

One of my favourite ski films of all time for sheer
    lunacy and outfits !!

michaelmcc
    Free Member

@ mbydmt – thats really weird!!!! Thats the exact same ski setup I had for last season. I had bought the new (at the time) 2011-12 Prophets, but I imagine they haven’t changed much apart from the graphics.

Was loving the Caspers, sketchy as hell on icy pistes though lol.

mbydmt
    Free Member

@michaelmcc that’s really bizarre! Not like they’re K2s & Sally’s or anything, not overly common skis. How did you find them? Other than the COREupts on Ice? Caspers do seem great fun so far!

andytherocketeer

My purchases ready for the forthcoming season were…

1 pr Goggles (half price Oakley from that shop in Edinburgh)

erm and that’s it.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

@mbydmt ye its mad! I had Salomon STH 12 bindings on the Lines and Rossi Axial bindings on the Caspers. Loved the Lines, they were the 1st ski I ever owned and the fattest ski I had ever been on to boot! Although I was in Whistler and they soon felt narrow compared to all the other really fat skis around lol.
    But a really capable ski in most conditions. There was only a small handful of days where I wished I was on a wider ski. I spent about 80-90% of my free ski time off piste, or in the slack country, or how ever you wanna call it lol. Was really happy with them overall.

Never ended up going in the park with the Coreupts believe it or not! I got them cuz I wanted to start doing park and was looking for a ski that could double up to instruct on (which it did do nicely). Guess the main reason was that I didn’t bother going skiing if the snow was bad, and whenever it was good I just hunted out powder on the Lines lol.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

http://www.serre-chevalier.com/en/winter/ski-area/resort-live2/webcam/

Snow! 🙂

No purchases for me this year, but bargain sniping nonetheless. Might buy some skis this year. To date, I’ve always been a huge believer in renting top end stuff instead. Flexibility, lack of need to store/service and the scope to try stuff out all counts. BA gold card though, means I have immense baggage allowance, so makes sense for next year…..!

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Soelden is getting pummeled by snow for the mens GS! Good news :-).

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Some Spyder, Mammut and Haglofs stuff in TackyMacks at the weekend (Salisbury branch). Could be worth a look in a local branch if you’re that way inclined!

hammerite
    Free Member

Wallop – you’re not a million miles away from Bicester (90 mins max I’d guess). I’d recommend going to see Colin at Solution 4 Feet http://www.solutions4feet.co.uk/

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

anyone going to The Ski Show on Wed at Earls Court?

Look out for Eddie the Eagle if so…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Wallop – you’re not a million miles away from Bicester (90 mins max I’d guess). I’d recommend going to see Colin at Solution 4 Feet http://www.solutions4feet.co.uk/

Certainly comes highly recommended.

Of the others, I’d say S&R, but with the caveat that the fitting team may well have changed since I was last there, but that their training set up is still very good indeed. Always best to find a good fitter, rather than necessarily a good shop, IMHO.

FWIW, my two pet fitters in That London’s Famous Borough of Kensington and Chelsea (Neil and Christ at S&R Kensington) have now sadly moved on to pastures new. JP at Covent Garden S&R is very good though.

wallop

Thanks folks. I’ll give S&R a try first.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Neil & Chris.

NOT Neil & Christ!

🙂

Bunnyhop

My auntie (in Switzerland) phoned this morning, she said it’s even snowing there (Zurich) at lower levels now. Whoopppeeeeeeeee.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

So… Who else wears a helmet? Slightly dull talk I know, but I wear one everywhere now on the basis of if I wear one for biking then why not for skiing.

And looks like its very good news about all the snowfall so far! Hopefully it hasn’t peaked too early lol.

shifter
    Free Member

Yup, Giro. Much comfier than a beanie imo.

DezB
    Free Member

I wear one. Never used to but nearly knocked myself out on my last hol, so bought one.

BTW folks, Lidl are doing snow stuff on Thurs – their socks are the best snow socks I’ve used. Wool content for a fiver. the tights are good too.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

So… Who else wears a helmet? Slightly dull talk I know, but I wear one everywhere now on the basis of if I wear one for biking then why not for skiing.

Can’t ski without one now, and amazed that I did for so long, to be honest!

Smith Holt. Thanks to those lovely people at Smith. Super comfy, never felt too hot/cold in any conditions.

Bunnyhop

DezB – thanks for the heads up.

Been wearing a helmet for many years. Now onto helmet number 2, A Salomon Poison with Peak.
    Not sure about the peak, it’s great in sunny weather, however drives me mad when I just want to pop my goggles up.

wallop

Always wear a helmet. Keeps your heard warm innit 8)

nbt

Yep, was very glad of it when tree skiing in whistler and got a turn wrong…

crispo
    Free Member

I mostly wear a helmet, but it does depend what im planning on skiing that day.

If I am planning on skiing any off piste/park, going out on GS skis or skiing with mates then I will wear my helmet. At Christmas/New Year when I am just pottering about with my parents sometimes I dont bother.

andytherocketeer

Few years back, people were talking about helmet use being maybe aproaching the 50% mark. Now I’d estimate it’s almost 100%. Certainly within the pretty extensive group I skied with, it’s just the last few stragglers wearing hats, so usage is easily in excess of 95% there.
    2 head injuries requiring hospital treatment within the group made a few people stop by the ski shop first thing the next morning.

mefty
    Free Member

I don’t wear a helmet, if I was skiing some of the stuff I did a few years ago I would buy one, but I ski so prudently – the risk isn’t significant.

andytherocketeer

It’s other skiers I’m more concerned about.

Plus keeping warm in -29C which we had last year.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It’s other skiers I’m more concerned about.

Agreed.

At the risk of starting an argument, it’s more the “I don’t need lessons” boarder-brigade* that worry me. Many of them simply cannot control their speed enough to really be safe on the piste, and I’ve seen many a smash as a result.

*Note – I know full well that there are masses of skiers who are equally rubbish, but I get the feeling that a lot of boarders don’t/won’t do lessons (too cool for school?) and just try and pick it up as they go along.

On another note, a friend had a lucky escape in Sauze a few years back, waiting for the ski bus up to the lifts, not paying attention, caught a wing mirror on the back of the helmet! Was fine, if a little dazed! 🙂

mefty
    Free Member

True, but I haven’t had a collision/near miss or even a not so near miss for years so whilst not dismissing this risk, it has not manifested itself sufficiently for me to worry about it.

I have skied in those temperatures but never had a problem with being cold – I run hot!

hammerite
    Free Member

Like MichaelMCCC I had the thought of I wear one when cycling, why not when skiing?

So started wearing one last season. I’m probably a more cautious skier than I am cyclist, but there are as many if not more hazards to be aware of when skiing.

DezB
    Free Member

I get the feeling that a lot of boarders don’t/won’t do lessons (too cool for school?) and just try and pick it up as they go along.

There is a lot of that. Stupid really – lessons are great. I had a few years break, went last year with the family, no-one to ride with so booked up some lessons. Learned loads, was taken great places, had a fab time. Actually one of the powder days with about 20 boarders (all different abilities) and instructors to follow in the white-out conditions was one of my best days ever!
    Probably will book em again if I’m on me tod. Always things to learn now matter how good you think you are.

andytherocketeer

I’ve been shoulder barged twice, both times by boarders on flat trying to maintain momentum. One hurt himself (fortunatley not others) as he subsequently crashed in to the lift queue 🙄
    I’ve been buzzed by someone ski racing on open piste, who then shoulder barged a friend just ahead of me, with both of us on the verge of chasing, apprehending, and getting the Carabinieri involved. He was out of control, big time.
    2 ski friends have had hospital trips for head injuries (one self inflicted, one not really sure – nobody knows, but he is one of the most careful skiers I’ve ever skied with).
    1 with leg injury (OK helmet probably not much use there), requiring hospital treatment, after being skied into by a racer at speed, just while sliding off a chair lift!

Maybe helmets make the other skiers/boarders out there ski/board like invincible nutters?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep, I’m a fan of lessons as well, even if only part time when out there. Really good if you’re new to a resort as well, as they’ll take you to the places that will challenge your level, while staying safe! That way, you can really learn the resort a lot better than just winging it!

Plus, as you say, great for meeting people of a similar level to ski with if on your own ,or with a family/group that isn’t at the same level as you.

hammerite
    Free Member

We usually have lessons on one of our trips each year. It started out just Jnr and I with the OH going off by herself, or going out with a friendly group. But now I’ve got better the lessons tend to be closer to the OHs level so has them too. She still finds them useful as the instructor will always have something to say to her, even if it’s a bit less feedback than most of the rest of us get!

We have 3 x 1/2 day group lessons booked for Arabba, so we still get a few whole days to explore the area by ourselves.

mefty
    Free Member

andytherocketeer – well I am not going to go skiing with you – seems dangerous!

torsoinalake
    Free Member

I find a helmet handy around lifts, buses etc. There is every chance some dopey is going to clock you in the head with their skis or poles. My other favourite is people closing the lift bar on my head.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

My other favourite is people closing the lift bar on my head.

Why does that always happen when you’ve got a first lift hangover?

CLANG!

Viewing 40 posts - 641 through 680 (of 2,364 total)

The topic ‘The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2012-2013 season’ is closed to new replies.